What's new

David Lynch's "Inland Empire" - 8/14/07 (1 Viewer)

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Those of you who have watched the Twin Peaks: Season Two DVDs have seen the Inland Empire teaser with a promise of an August 14th release date. My distributor confirms that and is pre-ordering now, and listing it as a 2-disc special edition. I didn't hesitate to order :)

Sweet!

EDIT: I just coincidentally read a Variety article about a feature-length documentary made during the production of Inland Empire called "Lynch". According to this article, a half-hour segment of the documentary titled "Lynch 2" will be included on the Empire DVD:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Do we know if this will contained the rumoured 75-90 minutes of deleted scenes? Are there any reviews?

Regards,
Nathan

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I can hardly wait to read some reviews!

I'm a big David Lynch fan, and am really looking forward to owning this movie. :)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I watched the DVD this morning and it does indeed have about 75 minutes of deleted footage on disc 2.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
I'm sold. I was sold before, but now I'm really sold. I can't believe we're getting this many extras on a Lynch DVD.

Can't wait,
Nathan

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i have this.

the case doesnt tell you what it is or about.

just a few photos.
one is a shadow wall puppet and another is a lamp.

disk one

inland empire feature 178 minutes

disk two

211 minutes
more things that happened
ballerina
lynch 2
quinoa
stories
trailers
stills.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Just got my copy today but will not be able to view it tonite.

I see that others have already posted info on this, but I have a few quick observations:

There are not one but two 5.1 mixes - one for near-field monitors (home theater mix?), one for far-field (orig theatrical mix?). There is also a stereo Dolby Digital option, which is strangely the default.

Two viewing options: 4:3 and 16:9 widescreen, but again, strangely, both options are 16:9 widescreen. When changing viewing aspect ratio (which doesn't change), the French subtitles come on for some reason. Was able to duplicate this on my computer (iBook G4) and Toshiba set-top player. Will try other players to see if I can replicate further.

The video appears to have been flagged for progressive playback (no combing). There is an interesting motion "look" to it that isn't quite film, isn't quite video. I like it, but don't know if this is how it looked in theaters. It does not appear to be a transfer from a film print (very clean, but I only "needle-dropped" around a few spots on the disc).

More comments as soon as I'm able to dive in completely. Really looking forward to it!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Felix, does the outtake re-edit ("More Things That Happened"?) have the full post-production gloss (no time codes, proper audio and all that), and is it anamorphically-enhanced? (You know, unlike the strung-together "DUNE" outtakes, for example.)

Also, I've heard that Best Buy has already got these on the shelves, at least in some locations. Has anyone else heard or seen this? Widespread? I'd love to pick up a copy before the weekend, if possible.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

The 75 min of additional scenes are full quality, presented back to back with elegant fade out/ins. The image is slightly window-boxed, compared to the main feature, but still 16:9. Lynch didn't participate in the Dune DVD, and his persistence in having quality, completed extra scenes is what's held up the FWWM footage all this time. This is a great example of the quality presentation DL fights for.

Matthew_Def

Stunt Coordinator

It seems pretty widespread. I didn't find any at the Islen, NJ BB, but I've heard a few other stores do have it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so what is the MOVIE about.

is it good like The Straight Story or wacky like most of his movies.
i said wacky, i didnt say bad.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
After having seen what it looks like I don't think it's even appropriate to use the word "quality" with reference to Inland Empire. It looks like complete rubbish; edge enhancement, bleeding and jaggies everywhere due to poor resolution and poor deinterlacing of the source video (I assume it was shot in 60i). Seriously, if Lynch just wanted to go digital, which is what it sounded like, why couldn't he at least have gotten a 24p HD-cam? If I wanted to look at something like this I could just go watch "Big Brother" or any other reality TV show.

No, this didn't work at all for me and it was a waste in my opinion, film should be film. If this is the way Lynch intends to work in the future then I can just hope that he at least upgrades his equipment.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
He could've at least shot in a HD format! Thanks to Canon you can even buy a camera that records in 1080 progressive for under US$1000:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...der-Review.htm

I don't agree that cinema implies the use of film. Conventional films are about telling stories with pictures, I don't think it needs to be film, you don't even need a camera because 'films' can be animated, or made in a computer.

Matthew_Def

Stunt Coordinator
Lynch doesn't like HD; it shows too much detail for his taste. He likens the look of DV to early film. Having seen it on the big screen, I thought it worked, beautiful in a really dirty way. Of course some scenes looked a lot better than others.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Have you seen the DVD? I can only say that I was extremely skeptical about the image quality, knowing what I know about the limitations of DV and comments from folks who have seen this in theaters.

All I can say, I was pleasantly surprised. The lack of resolution actually works here, for me. The image has a myopic quality where close-ups look quite good, with background and details wanting (usually a bad thing). It creates a dreamy, unreal quality - quite the opposite of my "video looks too real" expectation. In one of the "stories" included on the bonus disc, Lynch talks briefly and forcefully about his thoughts about the dreamer dreaming the dream, and also being part of the dream. This visual style certainly works for that idea. Some compositions look downright elegant.

Rhino/Absurda did a wonderful job compressing this thing.

Users who are viewing this thread