What's new

Pirates Of The caribbean - BR, the reviews are rolling in (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Ben, I will be looking forward to your reviews. POC1 I already have on order, but am not so sure that I will go for POC2 unless my girlfriend demands it (which she probably will):) .

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
These two releases look like winners if those reviews are anything to go by. The description of the audio almost makes me wish I could afford another player with analog outs in order to listen to the full uncompressed track.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Can't wait. Tempted to upgrade to one day shipping with Amazon but I can wait an extra day. :P

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
I just got word from Disney that all media outlets will get copies of the "Pirates" films early next week. I'm not sure how upcomingdiscs.com managed to get a copy for review, but it definitely wasn't through the normal channels. At any rate, I'll get that review up and running just as soon as the titles arrive next week - - along with Apocalypto!

Jon Moss

Stunt Coordinator

Certain on-line retailers are reporting these discs as being in stock as of today.. guess someone's been shipping them out early.

StevenW

Second Unit
Just gone done reading the Matrix video review and was riled up with excitement about how they said the video quality was the best yet on HD. Now this site says Pirates even trumps Matrix?! Wow! Can't wait to see them both! :)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Glad to know these are getting a great review. Hopefully Amazon ships mine soon.

I'm about to get swamped in HD/BD content in the next week, I won't know what to watch first.:eek:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I love it.

I said all along that Disney really did support Blu-ray because they intended to use the 50GB and increased bandwidth to their full advantage. Disney's committment to ultra-high-bit-rate advanced video codecs (running at more than twice the average bit-rate of VC1 on WB discs) and lossless audio (often 24-bit) with releases like Chicago and Pirates keeps the confirmation coming. While it's impossible to draw firm conclusions without direct a/b testing, I find it interesting that Disney seems intent on using video bit-rates with advanced video codecs like AVC and VC1 that often peak above 40 mbps... in sharp contrast to other studios with video bitrates that usually stay well below 25-30 mbps. Perpahs these ultra-high-bit-rates allow for minimal high-frequency filtering? Certainly seems to have worked for Pirates whatever the case!

I'm sure as we get an install base of HD hardware with advanced-audio decoding (like the new panny) we'll see Disney move towards TrueHD or DTS-HD MA for lossless audio as well (though the use of PCM at present doesn't seem to compete with space/bandwidth in a problematic way, though advanced audio could make a little more room for more bonus material).

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Well, I watched both last night and was pleasantly blown away. Sharp images and colours that popped off the screen, also quite 3 dimensional, and that audio.... my favourite sequence was always the chase of the Dauntless by the Black Pearl. Absolutely fantastic a/v.

As a side note: Did anyone else notice just how damned good Cars looked on the previews before the main menu came up?

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tony
Can't wait to see these before At World's End comes out next week.
I already pre-ordered these along with Apocalypto. So next week
looks to be pretty exciting Blu-Ray wise!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The only reason I will not run out and buy both POTC movies on Blu-ray is if I wait for the Panasonic DMP-BD10A to be available. Since the player will include both POTC movies its a win win situation. Then again I am weak and may buy these movies anyway.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Disney is my new favourite BR studio.

I am unsure of who else offers 48/24 pcm and I think most (if not all) of Sony's material is 48/16.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks