What's new

WB announces '300' for July 31st on both HD and BD (1 Viewer)

Dave>h

Second Unit
AWESOME.

I was worried this was going to be a Blu Ray exclusive.

Didn't see it in the theater but I am a HUGE Frank Miller fan. Loved Sin City, even loved Daredevil although that was only loosely based on his work.

This just went tot he top of my Must own list!

Really looking forward to seeing this in HD.

Dave

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tony
This is a MUST buy!! It's been one of my favorite movies of the first half of this year. Great news!

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I had to reread the article. How the heck did I miss that the first time around. This is great news...:) . Thanks for the heads up, Marek.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Great news! :emoji_thumbsup:

All things being equal I'll get the BD.

If the HD-DVD wasn't a combo I probably would've flipped a coin to see which version to buy.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I will take the interactive extra's on the HD and forgo the BD version.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I'll believe the TrueHD on the BD when I see (hear) it!

It *better* be true. If so, it would be Warner's first turn-around disc since omitting TrueHD from all the titles thus far where the HD DVD got lossless.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

1080p/24fps still trumps all extras for me, so I'll take the BD version. I'm looking forward to either BD getting BD-J or HD DVD getting 1080p/24fps implemented, so I can stop 'settling'.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
damit warner, stop releasing these stupid combo discs!!!

this combo crap from warner and universal is the thing that's really forcing me into blu-ray...

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
While the delay of BD-J is a bummer (as is the omission of the PIP interactive window in the BD release of this title), in the long-term it will be worth the wait. HD DVD's PIP is limited to standard-def resolution only, but BD-J will allow for a full 1080p24 stream for the PIP window (and bandwidth to handle it). This means that the player can down-res the 2nd stream for standard "PIP" mode, but you could also "swap" the windows and maximize the PIP window into the full 16x9 area with full 1080p resolution. This could be cool for work-prints and special effects sequences (ie, not something you'd typically be tempted to do with a PIP of the director talking in a chair).

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
They are both encoded 1080p/24. When Tosh gets around to releasing it's promised update for the XA2, I will have the same. Since my Sammy does not support 1080p/24, and never will, it is not loss to me.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
A year after it's release, and stilling waiting. All this might be nice if it ever happens, that the studios will spend the time and money to produce all of these wonderful possibilities is another issue altogether. I will take what is over what might be any day, especially since the scenario you laid out has never even been promised by the BD camp, only stated as a technical possibility. The BD camp as not even released the final BD-J specs, they are not due out until early fall, it is all conjecture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks