What's new

This Day in History Thread (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
First, let's say that I don't link anything here to ANYTHING. Another thread had me interested in important events that happen on any given day in history, so I thought I'd start a thread and update it often with historical events that occur "this day in History"

Today, May 15:

Frank Baum, author of Wizard of Oz, was born.

In 1941, the Allied Forces launch their first Jet engine based fighter planes. The Gloster-Whittle E 28/39 flew successfully over England, and jet air warfare was officially underway. Whittle is often viewed as the founder of the modern Jet services.

May 15, 1963, Gordon Cooper launched as the pinnacle mission of the Mercury project, taking Faith 7 through 22 successful earth orbits. Cooper was the 6th person to travel into space by NASA. Cooper's efforts set the stage for NASA, and results of Faith 7 proved to be some of the key moments in the Mercury program, giving more insight and letting people know that people could stay in space for longer periods of time.

May 15, 1988, the Soviets face the downfall that basically signaled the collapse of the USSR, as troops officially began withdrawal from Afghanistan. The Soviet withdrawal is flagged by the international press, and specifically the Russian Press as a signal of great problems within the Russian military and leadership. Roughly 16,000 died, and many referred to this as "Russia's Vietnam" however, the economic effects of the Afghanistan crisis on Afghanistan were far more devastating then anything the Vietnam war represented to the US.

May 15, 1942, Ronald Reagan, who was a Army Reserve Lt., having joined the military after WWI (and prior to WWII) but rejected for full duty (stigmatism, which at the time was untreatable) asked for and received transfer to the US Air Force from Calvary, where he was put to work in making the "Why We Fight" video campaign for the military.

May 15, 1942, Edith Nourse Rogers (House Rep-MA) manages to succeed in her efforts for the Women's military moment, and the first Women's Auxilary Military Corps (WACS) is created. This non-combat military division lets more women take an active role in the military workings of WWII.

May 15, 1923, While flapperdom and the roaring twenties are going, the US Military begins asking young men to consider making themselves active reservists, with it's first open campaign since WWI. This campaign urges young men to join reserve units as the "Nation at the Ready" program starts nationwide.

May 15, 1972, George Wallace is shot in the south. I would say more, but eh.

May 15, 1800, marks the beginning of the move from Philadelphia to Washington, DC for the US Federal Government. Over the course of a month, all employees and services were moved from Philadelphia to DC, and on June 11, 1800, the Federal Government closed all main offices in Philadelphia. At the time, 128 full time employees were in the service of the US Government.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Dennis - are you suggesting there are more employees then that now? :) Thanks for the note on Wallace. I'll try and update daily for the year. Could be cool to keep the thread going.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
On this day in 1937, Maria Jana Korbelová was born in Prague, Czechoslovakia.

Better known as Madeline Albright, the United States first female secretary of state.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
May 16:

In 1929, the First Academy Awards were held in the grand Roosevelt Hotel. 270 attended as Charlie Chaplin was given an honorary award.

In 1770, Louis married Marie Antoinette in a marriage that would change the course of history in France.

In 1998, Jim Henson dies. Still one of only two moments in my life the passing of an entertainer made me cry. (John Lennon being the other)

In 1918, congress passes the Sedition Act.

In 1920, Pope Benedict XV officially canonizes Joan of Arc for potential sainthood.

In 1966, the Beach Boys released their album "Pet Sounds" a marked shift in their career.

In 1948, Israel issues its first government and international trade papers, including postage stamps.

In 1860, Chicago, IL: Abraham Lincoln was officially selected the Republican nominee for President.

In 1868, Andrew Johnson is officially acquitted in the US's first impeachment trial.

In 1977, condom makers find backlash to new condoms featuring "Ribs" and other additives. On May 16, Alabama becomes one of the first states to have bills submitted to ban the items as "sex toys"

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
May 16, 1866: Root Beer invented by Charles Elmer Hires. Pizza lovers everywhere rejoice.

May 16, 1919: Birth of Wladziu Valentino Liberace.

May 16, 1953: Birth of Pierce Brosnan.

May 16, 1969: The planet Venus welcomes visitors from Earth, specifically the Soviet Venera 5 spacecraft. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venera_5

EDIT: The spacecraft is the visitor. I don't mean to imply this was a manned mission.

May 16, 1971: David Borneaz, (Angel on Buffy, star of upcoming NAMOR movie) born.

May 16, 1937: Yvonne Craig (Batgirl) born.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
May 17, the US Supreme Court decides "Brown Vs. Board of Education" beginning full integration nationwide.

May 17, 1973, the Watergate trial begins it's work.. televised.

May 17, 1900 Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini born.

May 17, 1885 the first Kentucky Derby Held

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser

They sure don't do much, do they? Might as well be 5 hard-working people...

Chris

Senior HTF Member
May 18, 1980 - Mt. St. Helens erupts, in one of the largest modern volcano eruptions.

1896 - the US Supreme Court rules in Plessy V. Ferguson

May 18, 1974 - India joins the nuclear club, testing their first nuclear bomb.

May 18, 1989 - The Tienemen Square Protest begins, as millions poor into Tienemen square. This later results in the Tienemen Massacre (June 3)

May 18, 1908 - In God We Trust pronounced the seal of the government and begins to appear on all coinage.

May 18, 1897 - Frank Capra born.

May 18, 1920 - John Paul II born.

May 18, 1804 - Napolean declared emperor of France

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
2 years ago I saw poster in a Paris subway advertising a upcoming documentary about Napoleon, subtitled something like: "When France Ruled the World". The thing was dripping with nostalgia :laugh:.

--
H

Chris

Senior HTF Member
May 19, 1588 - The Spanish Armada sets sail.

May 19, 1536, Anne Boelyn is beheaded for adultry.

May 19, 1643, the Colonies in the US form the New England Confederation

May 19, 1935, TE Lawerence, known by many as Lawerence of Arabia dies.

May 19, 1962, Marilyn Monroe performs her famous "Happy Birthday, Mr. President.. " for JFK.

May 19, 1992, Mary Jo Buttafuoco shot by crazed lover Amy Fisher. Joey, Amy & Mary will soon be doing a reality show (no kidding)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
May 19, 2007 - Kirk reaches the end of the internet, has to start over. Wife files for divorce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks