Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

MS releases HD DVD add-on update to address SQ issues

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted May 15 2007 - 02:17 AM

Microsoft has released an update for the HD Add-on that addresses disk compatibility and SQ issues. Can't wait to try it out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Tech
Last week, the Xbox 360 received its Spring Dashboard software, and today the console gets a software update for its HD DVD add-on peripheral. The most notable in this update are improvements to the player’s ability to decode audio streams...

Added in the new software update is a full bitrate 1.5 Mbps DTS and WMA Pro as an option for downmixed audio output, along with the previous 640 kbps Dolby Digital 5.1 option...

“[The old software] 360 HD DVD audio is reducing dynamic range and that makes the sound worse than it needs to be,” explained Amir Majidimehr, corporate VP at Microsoft’s Consumer Media Technology Group. “The new software unlocks the dynamic range and will give you a pretty big boost in performance.”...

Compatibility of the player has also been improved, fixing certain disc-specific issues....
Full Report

Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Manuel

Manuel

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted May 15 2007 - 05:53 AM

I had a chance to play with this a few mninutes this morning. First, you have to put in a HD-DVD for the update to load. Setting the player to DTS is done after your HD-DVD movie is on, press the Display button on the remote, then go to digital audio.

My initial impressions: I have always had a hard time to get the player to read my Batman Begins disc. Usually takes 4 to 5 eject/loads to work IF it works. It now worked 2 times after 2 loads and the 3rd time it loaded right away. Not only did I have loading problems with BB but I had major audio issues where the video and audio were just slightly off. It is now perfect ( at least to my eyes) and have checked it after every load. Also, I have set my audio for HD-DVDs to DTS. I hear a little bit better range and clarity. However, I am no expert so it could be that I am trying too hard to hear a difference.

Question for those of you in the know. i have a Harmony 659 that I run everything through. Is there any way to get the remote to learn the code for pressing to the side on the 360's left thumb stick? I cannot get this to work.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   David Allen

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted May 15 2007 - 06:36 AM

How do you access the software upgrade for the HD-DVD player?

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   russell sparks

russell sparks

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted May 15 2007 - 07:31 AM

hi david just hddvd in the add on and it will update before the movie starts. i did it this morning with batman begins.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   captainjoe

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted May 15 2007 - 02:43 PM

How can you make your sound option set to DTS? Is it something you have to do on the X-box itself?

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Joe RZ

Joe RZ

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted May 15 2007 - 05:42 PM

Insert hd-dvd. Hit the display button on remote. Navigate over to audio options. The settings are not on dashboard blades.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Mike.B

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 12:15 AM

I like how you can turn subtitles off/on using the display button on the remote now. Previously you had to go through the disc menu.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   captainjoe

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted May 21 2007 - 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe RZ
Insert hd-dvd. Hit the display button on remote. Navigate over to audio options. The settings are not on dashboard blades.

Thanks.

Forum Nav Content I Follow