-

Photo
- - - - -

Spielberg and Peter Jackson present "TinTin"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#1 of 42 OFFLINE   MikeRS

MikeRS

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted May 14 2007 - 08:36 PM

http://www.variety.c....goryid=10&cs=1

I love that they will each direct one film in the trilogy. The competitive fires are definitely gonna be brewing! Tintin as a property plays to both men's sensibilities, so this should be great. Posted Image

Quote:
Pics will be produced in full digital 3-D using performance capture technology.

Yeah, James Cameron was hinting...

Quote:
"We've set up a studio, and last week [Lord of the Rings director] Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg were here trying out the technology. I said to them, 'Take my tools and play with them for a week.' They were grinning from ear to ear. It's a really exciting time because so many new things are now possible."

#2 of 42 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted May 14 2007 - 11:14 PM

I'm glad that Peter Jackson is also involved, but 3D? I'm not very happy with that. I want a Tintin movie with the realism of LOTR!

#3 of 42 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted May 15 2007 - 01:01 AM

Very intriguing.

#4 of 42 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,581 posts

Posted May 15 2007 - 01:31 AM

I'm glad that they are not doing this as a live action film. It would have been awful. I also would like to see that 20 minute test reel.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#5 of 42 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted May 15 2007 - 01:51 AM

Interesting Indeed. Still, Tintin (one word!) is a household name on the other side of the Atlantic, but relatively unknown here, no? I find that a curious move from an investment point of view.

Quote:
I'm glad that they are not doing this as a live action film. It would have been awful.
I've seen a live action Tintin ages ago. Don't remember liking it much, and remember next to nothing of it, but the cast was gold. Here is a cover of the ensuying album:

http://www.gorianet....ns/toison_g.jpg

I hope hope hope they adapt the The Seven Crystal Balls / Prisoners of the Sun two-parter, my favorites of the series. Some epic stuff.

--
H

#6 of 42 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted May 15 2007 - 04:31 AM

I wanna see on the poster "From the Creators of Jaws, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, King Kong, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jurassic Park".

#7 of 42 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted May 15 2007 - 06:11 AM

Interesting. I know relatively little about the character, but it sounds pretty cool. The 3-D approach sounds a little funny to me though. The way Jackson explains it sounds odd:

Quote:
"Instead," Jackson said, "we're making them look photorealistic; the fibers of their clothing, the pores of their skin and each individual hair. They look exactly like real people — but real Herge people!"

So how do they make this lot look photoreal, especially without it looking creepy?

Posted Image

Actually, I can sort of picture what they may be going for, but I'm a bit skeptical. I don't see the advantage of doing it this way over, say, what Pixar traditionally does.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#8 of 42 OFFLINE   Mark Hawley

Mark Hawley

Second Unit

• 418 posts

Posted May 15 2007 - 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPla
I wanna see on the poster "From the Creators of Jaws, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, King Kong, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Jurassic Park".

With: "TINTIN - THE NEW HERO!"

Well on film anyways.

#9 of 42 OFFLINE   MikeRS

MikeRS

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted May 15 2007 - 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holadem
Still, Tintin (one word!)

--
H

I know.Posted Image I tried editing the title but it only changed over my opening post.

Must have been thinking of Rin Tin Tin (yeah, that's it Posted Image )

*edit* Thanks Robert!

#10 of 42 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 03:12 AM

I had never heard of Tintin until Spielberg got involved with it a while back.

I think they are co-directing aren't they?

#11 of 42 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted May 16 2007 - 04:08 AM

According to the article, they were each gonna direct one film in the trilogy, with the third film being directed by someone else.

#12 of 42 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 04:21 AM

Oh man! I REALLY don't like this one damn bit! A beloved Belgian comic strip from my childhood being "Hollywood-ized"!

One more thing. "Performance capture technology" = "Rotoscope". Posted Image

#13 of 42 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,639 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 04:42 AM

There already have been animated versions of (almost?) all books. I think it was a Canadian/French/Belgian production.

Unfortunately , they were cut, some of it desastrously. (In my opinion each and every picture in the book should at least be present in the film, IYKWIM).

But what was worse: Captain Haddock's drinking habits had been severely toned down (almost non-existing), his swearing diminished, violence removed and other "childifying" was performed.

I'm afraid some of that will happen to this new movie too. Especially Hergé's (dated) ideas on some countries will be mellowed away.

As for the 3D-animation process...

But, of course, I'm willing to wait and see, and then judge.

Cees

#14 of 42 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted May 16 2007 - 06:36 AM

While I'm sure they'll be going more politically correct (as in removing racism, etc.), I'm sure they'll keep the Captain's swearing and drinking. After all, how else will they appeal to an audience? Nobody except the kids will want to see something that wholesome. Posted Image

But then again, it will be an animated film, so I don't know how much appeal there will be for adults who aren't Tintin fans.

#15 of 42 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRS
I know.Posted Image I tried editing the title but it only changed over my opening post.

Must have been thinking of Rin Tin Tin (yeah, that's it Posted Image )

*edit* Thanks Robert!
Actually it's still wrong, that second "t" must not be capitalized... (SpielBerg?) It's just Tintin Posted Image.

--
H

#16 of 42 OFFLINE   MikeRS

MikeRS

Screenwriter

• 1,326 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 11:20 AM

Um, yeah..I know.Posted Image

(hint:Look at my opening post)

#17 of 42 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 01:21 PM

Cees, I agree. I've seen those cartoon adaptations. Ick. It really killed the series. And I'm very worried it won't stop there.

BTW, have you ever read this one? Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 of 42 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,581 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray H
But then again, it will be an animated film, so I don't know how much appeal there will be for adults who aren't Tintin fans.

So what are you saying? That animated films have no appeal to adults? If these Tintin films were done right -meaning intact characters, stories, and good animation- then they could find an audience among adults.....at least in every part of the world except North America, where every adult has been conditioned to expect nothing more than comedy hijinks and talking animals from animated films. Not that there is anything wrong with those concepts, since some of the finest animated films ever made are built on those conventions; however, animated films are capable of more. The Japanese have shown that. North American audiences are just too damned ignorant, prejudiced, and snobbish to accept animated films as a legitimate medium for telling stories that are not outright comedies. That is why we keep getting one shitty live action film after another of Superman. Instead of one decent, well animated film that could actually make the character look like he does in the comics. Okay....I'm taking a breath now. Posted Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Alons
There already have been animated versions of (almost?) all books. I think it was a Canadian/French/Belgian production.

Unfortunately , they were cut, some of it desastrously. (In my opinion each and every picture in the book should at least be present in the film, IYKWIM).

But what was worse: Captain Haddock's drinking habits had been severely toned down (almost non-existing), his swearing diminished, violence removed and other "childifying" was performed.

I think Nelvana was the Canadian company involved in this production. Looking at them now, it is hard to believe that at one time they were actually a good animation studio. As far as I'm concerned, they ruined the REDWALL series of books as well, with their low rent animation and watered down stories.

Quote:
I'm afraid some of that will happen to this new movie too. Especially Hergé's (dated) ideas on some countries will be mellowed away.

Herge', himself, recanted a lot of the views depicted in his books, from what I have read. Also, I'm not sure some of those ideas would find a receptive audience nowadays.

Quote:
As for the 3D-animation process...

But, of course, I'm willing to wait and see, and then judge.

I'm not sure that I care for the idea of rotoscoping and creating photorealistic characters. A good part of the visual strength of Herge's books was the "cartooned" characters against realistically depicted locations. Carl Barks was very good at doing similar stuff in the Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge comics.....minus the political views, of course.

I do not see why these films could not be successfully done using Pixar style computer animation. In fact, I wish Pixar was doing these. I think they could have successfully translated Herge's clear line style to film.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#19 of 42 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,639 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron
BTW, have you ever read this one? Posted Image
François, no I haven't. What is it?
(I own all "regular" albums, both in French and Dutch, even an older, 1951 edition of "L'île noir" - you'd be surprised how many differences there are in the same drawings - but I don't know that one!)

Cees

#20 of 42 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted May 17 2007 - 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin-S
So what are you saying? That animated films have no appeal to adults? If these Tintin films were done right -meaning intact characters, stories, and good animation- then they could find an audience among adults.....at least in every part of the world except North America, where every adult has been conditioned to expect nothing more than comedy hijinks and talking animals from animated films. Not that there is anything wrong with those concepts, since some of the finest animated films ever made are built on those conventions; however, animated films are capable of more. The Japanese have shown that. North American audiences are just too damned ignorant, prejudiced, and snobbish to accept animated films as a legitimate medium for telling stories that are not outright comedies. That is why we keep getting one shitty live action film after another of Superman. Instead of one decent, well animated film that could actually make the character look like he does in the comics. Okay....I'm taking a breath now. Posted Image
I was thinking aloud with my comment. Posted Image I was thinking that they could potentially use something like "Pirates of the Caribbean" as a model in some regards, which is a huge blockbuster series with drinking, darker tones, and some more adult behavior that still appeals to kids. But then I realized you can probably get away with more if it was live action since animated films are generally expected to be a bit more wholesome depending on who they're marketed to. I was trying to think of examples of films that used the photorealistic look that they're trying to achieve and only "The Polar Express" and "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" came to mind. The Final Fantasy movie was geared more towards teen audiences with an adventure story, but it did pretty badly here at the box office. "The Polar Express" on the other hand was more kid friendly and was more successful. I wasn't trying to imply that animated films were only for kids (I have quite a few in my collection), just that people might expect something a little more juvenile since, despite some darker subject matter, Tintin visually looks like the light and fluffy adventures of a guy and his cute dog. Heck, knowing relatively little about Tintin and only seeing a few images here and there, some may come to expect something along the lines of the Curious George movie.

My DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Letterboxd Page

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow