What's new

Rumor mill HD DVD update (2 Viewers)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html
Our industry sources have checked in this week with the latest expected street dates for upcoming Universal catalog and new release HD-DVD titles through the end of September. Here's what to expect...

8/7 - Hot Fuzz

8/14 - Erin Brockovich, Meet the Fockers, Mercury Rising, What Dreams May Come

8/28 - Dawn of the Dead (2004), Heroes: The Complete First Season, The Hurricane, Notting Hill

9/18 - Battlestar Galactica: The Complete First Season, Elizabeth, For the Love of the Game, The Last Starfighter, Legend

9/25 - Cat People, Evening, The Getaway, Knocked Up, Patch Adams

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
man, I am going to go broke this summer. :)

Knocked Up on 9/25. A bit fast, but that's fine with me. I saw the film in April and loved it. The sooner I get an HD, the better. :)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Heroes is all I would want on that list, but it is a tempting nugget. Hopefully UHD will play it this summer.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Man, when are these guys going to release something that I actually would be willing to spend 30 bucks on?

Edit: Outside of The Getaway that is......which I have. Is this version a remake or are they double dipping on the McQueen vehicle?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Serious, Edwin? Wow. Well there are several in there that I want:

Hot Fuzz
Erin Brockovich
Meet The Fockers
Heroes-Complete First Season
Battlestar Gallactica Complete First Season
Elizabeth

:)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Looks like a lot more money to spend on Blu-ray. HD-DVD just keeps churning out crap titles and it's only getting worse.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
Heroes is the only one I'll buy, I'd probably hold off on that as well, but I want to see what everyone's been talking about...

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

crap titles? wow. diff'rent strokes and all that I guess.

I just started watching Battlestar Galactica a couple weeks back (via Netflix) and its some of the best stuff I've watched in my HT in the last 6 years-in other words, ever since I've had a HT. Very much looking forward to owning that in HD.
Heroes will be a blind buy 'cause like BSG I keep hearing how good it is from everyone.
and Erin Brokovich and Cat People are a couple of catalog titles I've always liked I"ll look forward to seeing them in HD.

No a whole lot of must buys for me, but I'm not complaining. With Warner and Paramount they'll still be enough to give my wallet cramps going into Q4.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Someone sure has done a 180. There are some great titles there. Tim listed the ones that interest me as well. No way is BSG crap!:)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Some good and very good catalog titles in that list, no matter what some might say.

Hero's, Battlestar, Erin, Last Starfighter, and Legend are most likely for me. Cat People is a probability. Shane, thanks for the info.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I'm not impressed with the titles released/announced for both formats, but my tastes don't jive with the mainstream - so I can understand why they release those movies as it appeals to the most amount of people.

With regards to this list, Elizabeth would be a definite purchase for me if I jumped on HD - which would be the 2nd title I'd want to own (the first being Planet Earth). 8 more titles (I set my requirement at 10) and I'll jump aboard with the rest of you.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Just Dawn of the Dead and maybe Cat People for me with this batch.

Someday I'll have to check out an episode of Battlestar Galactica to see what all the fuss is about.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Heroes and Dawn of the Dead are definites for me. What Dreams May Come, Legend, and Hot Fuzz are possibilities, though I'll probably pass initially.

Terrence B

Agent

I feel the same way. As Ron P put it, more money for blu-ray releases, and there are plenty I am interested in.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
There's not a whole lot in this specific update I'm interested in, but I'm not certain that's a bad thing. I'm impressed with the variety of titles Universal is releasing.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

Funny, I was thinking the opposite. HD DVD has been more appealing lately than BLU RAY. Guess it depends on what you like. But I really think Universal is really stepping up to the plate with the HD DVD offerings.

Norman Matthews

Second Unit
That's exactly the way I've been looking at it. There hasn't been a single one of these upcoming-release updates where I've wanted everything or where I didn't want anything. They're always all over the map of my opinions -- with some that I want now, some I'm not sure about, occasionally some I haven't even heard of, and usually at least one I never want to set eyes on again -- and I think that's a good thing.

This time around, Battlestar Galactica and Elizabeth will be mine immediately. What Dreams May Come, Heroes, and Dawn of the Dead will probably end up in the collection at some point.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

"Crap titles"? If you compare exclusive HD-DVD titles to exclusive Blu-ray ones due out between now and September, I don't think there's any comparison. HD-DVD has a much better and more diverse selection.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Well, for my part, I was not intimating that any titles being announced are crap: just that the announced titles are not appealing to me. I saw a trailer for Hot Fuzz. The trailer looked interesting, so I may change my mind on that one, seeing that it is a British cop action/comedy. I have seen Erin Brokovich. It was okay, but no repeat watchability for me. Meet The Fockers is just unappealing to me. I have almost rented it, but I always throw it back. Heroes is a TV series that I haven't seen.....no interest. I saw a couple of episodes of BSG and I just had to laugh when I saw the ridiculous, amateurish use of the camera zoom function in that series. It just turned me off. Elizabeth is a biopic about "Royalty". I have zero interest or love for the "Royal Family"......past or present.....so no watchability for me. The same goes for The Queen. The only stuff dealing with "Royalty" that I don't mind watching is the Blackadder series. For obvious reasons. :)

Glad to see that these titles are attracting attention from many others. Probably just proves that you guys have more diverse viewing tastes than I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks