What's new

Paradigm V5 Monitor set up? (1 Viewer)

John_Yanotka

Agent
I would just like to get some feedback on this system that I am putting together for my apartment. I am going to go with the new V5 Monitor line from Paradigm. My living room is about 16x16 with 8 foot ceilings. I was going to use a pair if Titans and CC 290 for my fronts and use a pair of Mini Monitors for my rear surrounds. Everything will be placed on stands. Later on I will be buying a sub. What would you recommend? Is there anything that you would change in this system? Oh and for a receiver,I just ordered the new Onkyo TX-SR605.Thanks for the info.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
At first glance I was confused about you putting Titans up front and Mini Monitors in the back until I realized Paradigm had pulled the Atom and Titan name into the Monitor line (they used to be in the lower-end Performance line).

Your reccomended system looks like a very solid one. For the subwoofer I would look at something like the SVS PB10-NSD or PB12-NSD unless you feel confident in your DIY skills at which point i'd consider something like a TC-Sounds 15" TC-1000 driver in a 3 ft^3 box tuned to 20hz w/ a Behringer A500 rack amp or Parts Express 500w BASH plate amp.

vm8444

Agent
Real Name
vince mirabelli
Hey I haven't heard the svs line of subs,,itching to though,,
is the reciever a sure thing?
nad recievers really sound fantastic with paradigm ,,and if you can squeeze a few bucks for the studio 20's as fronts ,,you really would be set for life ..

then go with audioquest cabling all around and your laughing ,,
I am an installer too so this combo works really good,,all my customers comment positively as always.
stands make sure they are steel ..

inexpensive sub I like ,,even if its used version 2 or up,,
paradigm pdr10 or 8

peace
vm

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't move up to the studio 20 mains unless you can move up to one of the studio centers also. also, a nad receiver would be a fine sounding receiver but you would be giving up a lot of features to get that... I think the SR605 is a fine choice for the total system price range you seem to be shopping in.

John_Yanotka

Agent
I just went and picked up the new Paradigms. Now I cant wait to get the Onkyo so I can set everything up. Got a great deal on them too!

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
From what I've learned from my time spent on this forum, John, square rooms like your living room (16'x16') can cause some problems for soundwaves bouncing back and interfering with each other, which then distorts the sound. You can deal with this by placing sound absorbing material or objects at strategic points to reduce the interference. Bookshelves and hanging objects can be used for this, so how you arrange the other objects in your living room could have a positive or negative effect on how your speakers sound.

I'm not an expert on this at all, but there are many others here who are and could give you more tips about treating your room for sound. I just noticed your room dimensions in your post because I have a similar sized room in my basement that I was considering for a theatre, but because it is square, I will use the adjacent room which is 16' x 13'.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Also... I would check out www.monoprice.com for your cables... their regular and premium cables are of good quality, especially the premium line, with extremely reasonable prices. Exotic cables very rarely if ever offer any performance benefit over a modestly priced cable of reasonable build quality and proper design.

John_Yanotka

Agent
I am already using HDMI cables for my Sony SXRD and PS3.Definately good stuff. I will check out the other cables too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks