Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SPHE Press Release: Benson: The Complete First Season

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,249 posts

Posted May 14 2007 - 12:22 AM

Emmy® Winner Robert Guillaume
Gives New Meaning to the Phrase “The Butler Did It”

BENSON:
THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON

DVD Debuts July 24 Featuring 24 Episodes on Three-Discs
and Exclusive Bonus Features

Culver City, CA (May 14, 2007) – Created by television powerhouse Susan Harris (TV’s “The Golden Girls”) and starring five-time Emmy nominee Robert Guillaume, Benson: The Complete First Season makes its DVD debut on July 24 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. The collection features all 24 politically-flavored episodes from the long-running comedy series’ first season in a three-disc set. The exclusive bonus materials include a video introduction by Guillaume, a Benson series retrospective, and a photo gallery. The DVD will be available for $29.95 SRP.

Robert Guillaume played one of the most popular supporting characters on Soap, as the insolent butler to wacky Jessica Tate (the brilliant Katherine Helmond, who makes a guest appearance this season). His scene-stealing portrayal of the acerbic character resulted in his winning a Best Supporting Actor Emmy (he would be nominated five more times as Best Actor, winning another statuette in 1985). ABC spun the character off into the title role in Benson, debuting on September 13, 1979. The premise entailed Jessica sending Benson off to help her inept cousin, Governor James Gatling (James Noble), run the Governor’s mansion. Other characters included Katie Gatling (Missy Gold), the governor's adorable daughter; Benson’s nemesis Gretchen Kraus (Inga Swenson), the stern German housekeeper; Marcy Hill (Caroline McWilliams), the governor's secretary; and John Taylor (Lewis J. Stadlen), the governor’s political aide.

Over the course of its 7-season, 154-episode run, Benson was nominated for a total of 17 Emmy Awards, winning three, as well as four Golden Globe nominations (including three Best Actor nods for Guillaume).

Benson: The Complete First Season episodes include:

Change (Pilot) Don't Quote Me Kraus Affair
Trust Me War Stories Checkmate
President's Double Ghost Story Cold Storage
Benson in Love Taylor's Bid Old Man Gatling
Conflict of Interest One Strike, You're Out Power Play
The Layoff Just Friends Takin' It to the Streets
Snowbound Chain of Command The Army Wants You
Jessica Bugging the Governor Marcy's Vacation

DVD Special Features Include:
Digitally Remastered Audio and Video
Full Screen Presentations
Video Introduction with Robert Guillaume
Benson Series Retrospective
Photo Gallery
Audio: English (Stereo)
Bonus Previews
Closed Captioned

BROADCAST YEAR: 1979 – 1980

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,629 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted May 15 2007 - 05:45 AM

As long as it's complete, uncut, original broadcast versions...I'm there!

If it's syndicated cuts...no sale! Posted Image

But this is yet another show where the "classic" cast wasn't yet there in the first season, so I hope Sony is tempering it's expectations for sales of the first season accordingly. Once Clayton and Pete show up, then the show hit its stride.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 01:17 AM

Why would it be the syndicated cuts? They are releasing uncut silver spoons, why would they release syndicated versions for benson?What bothers me is this is the second press release after silver spoons, where they say exclusive bonus features and they dont mention what they are.Good times even had extras, but not mentioned on the backcover.Really strange!
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,271 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 16 2007 - 06:08 AM

What extras did Good Times have? You mean those irrelevant trailers for unrelated movies? I wouldn't call them extras.

Don't assume these are uncut until you see someone reviewing the disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm R
As long as it's complete, uncut, original broadcast versions...I'm there!

If it's syndicated cuts...no sale! Posted Image

But this is yet another show where the "classic" cast wasn't yet there in the first season, so I hope Sony is tempering it's expectations for sales of the first season accordingly. Once Clayton and Pete show up, then the show hit its stride.

They'll likely at least get to season 2 so they can hype Jerry Seinfeld's presence.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 10:44 AM

Oops, Matt I meant one day at a time. I dont know why I confused it with good times.
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Shawn_C

Shawn_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted May 24 2007 - 12:54 PM

Great News. Benson the complete 1st season coming out in July. I can't wait.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,685 posts

Posted April 11 2008 - 09:40 AM

I wonder if we'll get a second season release? I really like this show, and season 2 has some great episodes!

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted April 11 2008 - 12:33 PM

I've been enjoying watching this again too. Going through it slowly. I'd buy season two.

And Clayton hasn't even appeared! I barely remember the show without him.