Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

UK to get 13 Hammer Sony releases!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   CULTMAN1

CULTMAN1

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted May 12 2007 - 09:01 PM

Following a deal between Sony USA and DD Home Entertainment Uk Ltd 13 Hammer Films are to get their first release ever on DVD in the UK later this year.Titles include: Terror of the Tongs, Stranglers of Bombay, The Gorgon, Camp on Blood Island, Creatures the world forgot, Never take sweets from a Stranger, Cash on Demand,Maniac,The Damned, Watch it Sailor, etc. Subject to availability of good source materials the UK should start seeing these titles appearing this autumn. Regrettably for US collectors unless you have multi region players these releases are for the UK market only.

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted May 12 2007 - 09:49 PM

Hopefully SCREAM OF FEAR will be part of that collection.

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted May 12 2007 - 11:55 PM

Hopefully, The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960, Terence Fisher) will finally see its first-ever widescreen (2.35:1) presentation since its original release. It's a vastly underrated adaptation of Stevenson's immortal parable.

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted May 13 2007 - 12:30 AM

That's no problem for anybody.

Just buy the Region 2 DVD's at amazon.co.UK like you normally would.

Multi-region DVD players start at $40 on amazon.com . That's cheaper than the average Warner Brother's box-set. Here's a good one that works just fine:

http://www.amazon.co....5E4RJ&v=glance

What could be easier?

No reason to wait another year or two or never for those Hammer titles to be released on Region 1.

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   JulianK

JulianK

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts

Posted May 13 2007 - 10:02 AM

I reported this on my site a couple of weeks ago.

You can find the details, including the rest of the titles, http://www.zetaminor....007_05_wk1.htm

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted May 13 2007 - 11:24 AM

That's a useful and informative site, JulianK.

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   JulianK

JulianK

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts

Posted May 14 2007 - 05:15 AM

Thanks, Richard - it never hurts to hear comments like that one!

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   CULTMAN1

CULTMAN1

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted May 16 2007 - 09:59 AM

I can add that as we have a trade account with DD Home Entertainment the first of these releases will start to appear from September this year. The Gorgon will be one of the first to appear subject to source materials and clearances etc. US collectors will also be interested to hear there will be a region 2 special 2 Disc collectors edition of Night of the Demon with abundant extras. This is slated for July this year.

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,496 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted May 16 2007 - 11:44 PM

DVD Times on those R2 releases - DDHE to bring you Sony classics later this year :

DDHE Ltd have announced their acquisition of DVD rights to a substantial library of Sony Pictures Home Entertainment film and television classics, many of which have not been released before on DVD anywhere in the world.

The list of titles include collector’s films such as Bunny Lake is Missing, Albert Finney’s Gumshoe, A Day in the Death of Joe Egg, Kenneth More’s Father Brown, The Admirable Crichton and Jack Hawkins’ Gideon’s Day. While the bulk of the new DVD releases will concentrate on the 1960s and 1970s, DDHE will also be raiding the Sony vaults to uncover no less than six previously unavailable George Formby films.

For collectors of British studio Hammer’s titles there’s the first DVD release of The Gorgon, plus Camp on Blood Island, The Damned, Terror of the Tongs, The Stranglers of Bombay, Taste of Fear, Creatures the World Forgot, Never Take Sweets from a Stranger, The Sword of Sherwood Forest, Maniac, Cash on Demand, Don’t Panic Chaps and Watch it Sailor.

Horror fans might also be pleased to hear about the long-awaited DVD release of Night of the Demon. Plans are unconfirmed as yet, but this release may well include the American cut of the film as well as the original British release and a number of specially commissioned features. As with many DDHE collector’s releases, fans can expect a detailed behind-the-scenes booklet by film and TV historian Marcus Hearn. Japanese monster movie Mothra will also be a forthcoming guilty treat for the genre aficionados.

Classic American films due for release included an eclectic mix featuring everything from Zero Mostel and Woody Allen’s The Front to Richard Widmark's The Long Ships and 1970s pop-rock sensation Godspell. All three of Dean Martin’s cult Matt Helm spy movies are also scheduled for release.

DDHE’s deal with Sony also extends to television series and mini-series, with Casey Jones, Roger Moore’s Ivanhoe, The Last Days of Pompeii and SF series Fantastic Journey and Dark Skies are all included in the package.

All the titles above are scheduled for release between August 2007 and April 2008, with specific dates and more detailed information on features to be announced closer to each individual release.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 01:05 AM

Shouldn't these announcements be posted in the Regional DVD section? Sorry if I seem cranky but lately every time I check out a thread with something that piques my interest my hopes are dashed when I learn it's a Region 2 release saddled with PAL speedup.
Death before Streaming!

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,496 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 02:24 AM

I did report it Jim, but no action was taken; a thread that starts 'UK to get...' is bound to involve PAL to some degree Posted Image
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   Richard_Gregory

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit

• 361 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 04:11 AM

We feel the same way when r1 gets an exclusive release and is therefore saddled with low resolution Never The Same Color-twice. ;-) I don't think I'd let a 4% difference keep me from buying some great films.

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 19,022 posts

Posted May 17 2007 - 04:57 AM

Sometimes we think the information about releases in other region can be interesting to R1 citizens (e.g. when it spells a possible upcoming R1 release). And PAL speedup has been thoroughly discussed (Jim, it depends on the way your modified player will translate it to NTSC whether or not you will get a speed-up). Anyway, as John suggested, I will move this thread to the Regional Forum now.... Cees

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,864 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted May 17 2007 - 05:45 AM

Posted Image Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Top 10 Charts

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,496 posts

Posted June 01 2007 - 02:13 AM

The Columbia / DDHE news just gets better and better - the BBFC has just certified the Budd Boetticher / Randolph Scott western Decision at Sundown for DD Home Entertainment. Any chance of a box set DD?
Film Journal Blog

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted June 19 2007 - 05:54 AM

Any updates on the Hammer releases?

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,496 posts

Posted June 25 2007 - 05:18 AM

No; no release dates yet.
Film Journal Blog

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted July 21 2007 - 10:45 AM

Any new news? Updates?

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   Stephen PI

Stephen PI

Second Unit

• 469 posts

Posted July 22 2007 - 06:17 AM

Cees, do you happen to know if those modified dvd players are still available?
Steve Pickard

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 19,022 posts

Posted July 22 2007 - 10:25 AM

Stephen, Unfortunately no. I'm hardly familiar with the US market and as you'll understand, ours are modified to play NTSC flawlessly (without change of the total duration of the movie!). Cees

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users