What's new

Betty Grable Collection Volume 2?? (1 Viewer)

Corey

Screenwriter
I know the sales of the first set were abysmal, but it seems like Fox is gonna try again with a 2nd volume sometime soon. I got this info from Amazon and the titles say "not yet released." Some of you might say that it doesn't mean anything, but I can name a lot of titles where it said the same thing and they ended up being released shortly there after i.e The Pirate, Best Foot Forward, Easy to Wed, On An Island With You, etc. Anyways, here are the titles:
-Song of the Islands
-Sweet Rosie O'Grady
-Beautiful Blonde From Bashful Bend
and I remember Sylvia Stoddard saying she was working on The Shocking Miss Pilgrim, so that's 4 titles just like the first one. :)

Charles H

Screenwriter
Grable's most popular films were SPRINGTIME IN THE ROCKIES, CONEY ISLAND, and MOTHER WORE TIGHTS, but I'd love to see THAT LADY IN ERMINE, CALL ME MISTER (Think Busby Berkley!), and HOW TO BE VERY, VERY POPULAR.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Unless they're planning on a separate Carmen Miranda box, I'd bet Springtime in the Rockies is a natural for a second Grable Box. I'm sorry to hear that the Grables didn't sell so well - Still I have a hard time believing that they sold any worse than the Will Rogers Collection and yet Fox came through with a second volume there!

Charles H

Screenwriter
TIN PAN ALLEY should come also. It might come out on a future Alice Faye Collection, but the film really "belongs" to Grable.

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
I wish Fox would release some more Grable as well. I'm not a huge fan of her movies but I know she has plenty of fans waiting for the next set. I'm dying for a dvd release of Mother Wore Tights.

TIN PAN ALLEY should come also. It might come out on a future Alice Faye Collection, but the film really "belongs" to Grable.
I disagree but I hope it comes out soon, hopefully in a another Alice Faye set. How did the first Alice Faye box set do?

Corey

Screenwriter
KellyVO said:
I disagree but I hope it comes out soon, hopefully in a another Alice Faye set. How did the first Alice Faye box set do?
Well I think it did considerably better than Grable's. Alice Faye is a singer so naturally she's gonna have her fans, like Judy or Doris. I think the price also helped alot, too. Hopefully the next set includes:
-Hello Frisco Hello
-Sing Baby Sing
-Rose of Washington Square
-Tin Pan Alley

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I'm also waiting anxiously for the next volumes of bioth Grable and Faye collections. Corey if I could select the titles for the Alice Faye vol. 2 I'd pick exactly the films you mentioned, though I would still want, at least, a vol. 3.

For the Grable box, I think it was mentioned before that The Shockin Miss Pilgrim was in works, so to complete the collection I would pick Springtime in the Rockies, More Wore Tights, Coney Island and Song of the Islands. A vol. 3 would be a must have with That Lady in Ermine, Sweet Rosie O'Gradie, Billy Rose's Diamond Horseshoe and When My Baby Smiles at me.

Corey

Screenwriter
Betty Grable Vol 1 is #21,144 :frowning: on Amazon while Alice Faye is #6,010 :)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Corey Grable'a A&e Biography was included as an extra in the Down Argentine Way dvd.

And how do you get this Amazon's ranking?

Corey

Screenwriter
RafaelPires said:
Corey Grable'a A&e Biography was included as an extra in the Down Argentine Way dvd.
And how do you get this Amazon's ranking?
Whenever you go to a product page for movies, it should have like where the studio info is.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Don't forget when crunching amazon rankings, the total number of DVD titles they rank. Right now the DVD title total is 168,259. So Betty's present ranking of 23,286 would still place her in about the top 14% of DVD sales today at amazon. That seems pretty good for a title that has been out eleven months.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Bob Gu said:
Don't forget when crunching amazon rankings, the total number of DVD titles they rank. Right now the DVD title total is 168,259. So Betty's present ranking of 23,286 would still place her in about the top 14% of DVD sales today at amazon. That seems pretty good for a title that has been out eleven months.
Hi Bob,
I'm not sure that 14% number is accurate from a sales perspective. It is probably more likely that the top 1000 titles generate a disproportionately large share of total DVD sales (say 50% for arguments sake) and the remaining 167,259 titles split the remaining 50%. I'm making numbers up, but one gets the general idea.
Put another way, there are 20,000+ titles that currently sell better. That can't be good by anyone's definition. This means some pretty obscure stuff is outperforming ole' Betty.
In my opinion, Fox would be wise to do MSRP reductions on some of these earlier boxes to levels more comparable to what they're releasing today. It might help them move some of these slow selling titles out of their warehouses.
Steve

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
Well I think it did considerably better than Grable's. Alice Faye is a singer so naturally she's gonna have her fans, like Judy or Doris. I think the price also helped alot, too. Hopefully the next set includes:

-Hello Frisco Hello

-Sing Baby Sing

-Rose of Washington Square

-Tin Pan Alley
Yeah I'm guessing it did ok, the only bad things I heard about it were how bad the color looks on The Gang's All Here (I thought it looked ok) and some of the On the Avenue dvds were missing their paper inserts (including mine).

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Count me in for both Alice Faye and Betty Grable upcoming collections! :)
If I could pick, I would chose the following:
Grable
Mother Wore Tights (47) - one of her very best I think
Footlight Serenade (42) - black and white and great fun
Springtime in the Rockies (42)
Call Me Mister (51)
Faye
Hello Frisco Hello (43)
Tin Pan Alley (40)
Rose of Washington Square (39)
Sally, Irene and Mary (38)
Hoping to see Alice Faye in (maybe) next wave of Temple films too, I have always loved Stowaway (36).

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
Is volume 2 ever going to come???? I'm desperate for more Grable. I eventually bought Vol. 1 a couple months ago without seeing any of the movies and I really enjoyed it! Were the sales really that bad?

ReggieW

Screenwriter
KellyVO said:
Is volume 2 ever going to come???? I'm desperate for more Grable. I eventually bought Vol. 1 a couple months ago without seeing any of the movies and I really enjoyed it! Were the sales really that bad?
I think the problem was that Fox priced their sets too high during this period a few years back. The set would've sold much better with a lower msrp. I've heard that a vol-2 was coming, so it'll likely be priced in line with other similar box collections today.

Daniel BARBIEUX

Stunt Coordinator
I only hope Fox will release some good Miss Grable's musicals this time, "My Blue Heaven" was a terrible one; I would like to see the following titles in the volume 2 : "Springtime in the Rockies", "Coney Island", "Sweet Rosie O'Grady", "Diamond Horseshoe" and "Mother Wore Tights" (maybe "Call me Mister" as a bonus :))

Corey

Screenwriter
A set with 10 films would be great:
-How To Be Very, Very Popular
-Footlight Serenade
-Springtime In the Rockies
-That Lady In Ermine
-Song of the Islands
-Coney Island
-Mother Wore Tights
-Sweet Rosie O' Grady
-The Shocking Miss Pilgrim
-The Beautiful Blonde From Bashful Bend

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
With My Blue Heaven on TCM last night I still couldn't help but wonder if Fox will ever release another box set again? Did the first set really sell that poorly? If they can release another Alice Faye set they sure can release another Grable set!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks