What's new

Star Trek on HD-DVD / Blu Ray? (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I believe Star Trek remastered Season 1 is coming to HD-DVD late in 2007. They are to be HD-DVD/DVD combo discs?

Will one of the films also be released on the new format as well? It would make sense to do so.

If a film is released would it also be on HD-DVD and the Blu Ray disc following in early 2008 as reported earlier this year?

Star Trek is one of the titles I'm waiting for before jumping into the new format.

Thanks for posting!

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
There are so many titles rumored and release schedules are in such a flux right now I wouldn't count on any title rumored as bankable.

I'm looking forward to these also but it's really anyone's guess.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
CBS home entertainment, newly formed will handle Trek remastered, released via Paramount.
Paramount themselves will (hopefully) do the TREK films but they need to do work on ST:TMP. When Darren Dochterman did the new CGI FX for the director's cut, they were rendered at 480P resolution. They SHOULD be re-rendered in HD otherwise those FX shots will look awful compared to the original film shot FX...
They also need to do a better sound mix. All the looped, ADR dialog on the film, (and there is quite a bit) that was recorded in the studio has virtually NO reverb on it at all compared to the shot on set dialog that has a natural room (set) ambiance and reverb. Often in the same scene, the change in audio quality and reverb is glaringly obvious. To mask the fact that you are in a soundproof room to loop dialogue with virtually no natural reverb, you should try to add a bit after the fact when mixing to match the natural room tone of the on set dialogue. Interstingly on the deleted scenes from the original film (pre CGI tweaked etc... like when Kirk arrives at starfleet in SF and converses with Sonak, there IS reverb added that makes the transition much better and more believable. The DVD just sounds "dubbed") When they did the DVD sound mix, somebody wasn't on the ball.

But yes, TREK is needed.

:)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

You sure about the 480p Dave? My brother saw this at the Paramount theater and said the new effects looked great on the big screen.

Can't wait for these on HD:).

Eric F

Screenwriter
The movies on the otherhand are pretty much all set to go in HD.

Some of the HD transfers that run on the cable networks, like the OAR showing of First Contact on HBO are pretty much perfect.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

Yep. Been confirmed by Dochterman himself at Trekmovie.com

and here is some info...

http://trekmovie.com/2006/09/13/dare...trek-enhanced/

14. Anthony Pascale - September 17, 2006

RE: is STTMP:DE HD or Rescreening Ready

It appears that the answer to that is no. That is why I got when I contacted David Fein (producer on the DE). Apparently the team wanted to do the work but Paramount decided to focus on the immediate delivery for the DVD…here is an excerpt from his message to me

“I’m incredibly proud of the film’s edit and effects; our team did a remarkable job. However, this job is not complete until we satisfy Bob’s wish and a film resolution master completed… a step closer would be HD….While I’ve insured that all of our production materials are available and ready for us to complete the Director’s Edition in film or hidef resolution, there is no approved master of the Director’s Edition for HD release.”
- David Fein
Producer, ST: TMP: DE

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I would probably have been a lot more jazzed by the Paramount HD-DVD announcement if there was some word about actual release dates for the Trek films.

Kahn in HD (either format) would have been an instant purchse for a few of us, me thinks.

Anyone got any good scuttlebutt on the Trek films on HD-DVD?

Brian

ReggieW

Screenwriter

Not much, but at the San Diego Comi-con, during a Trek panel discussion, the guy (sorry, can't remember his name) who worked on the 2000 restoration of ST: The Motion Picture only said that "it wouldn't be for awhile." I'm guessing that Paramount will probably wait for the release of the Abrams helmed film in late 2008. The install base should also be much larger by then. For now, I think they are gonna focus on getting season's 2 & 3 out of TOS: Remastered in the coming months.

I agree though, Khan would be aweesome in HD!
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
expect the movies on HD DVD around the time of the new movie.. makes perfect sense to do that.

Jacob

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thought I'd resurrect the thread rather then start a new one. Maybe someone could re-title the thread if it has a lot of activity.

Stories found on Trekmovie.com from The Digital Bits report that the first 10 Star Trek feature films are being worked on for a re-release, presumably on DVD and Blu Ray. They will receive a digital clean-up and new Hi-def masters. Release could be timed with the new film.

David Gerrold was asked to appear along with Bjo Trimble and Chris Doohan for a walk down memory lane for the special edition extras of their part in Star Trek The Motion Picture. He goes on to report on a visit with JJ Abrams and the film set and saying hello to Leonard Nimoy who was there for a costume fitting. Cool!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I'm assuming they are re rendering the effects shots done for the directors cut of Star Trek: The Motion Picture at 1080p. They were originally done at 480p. Rather short sighted on the part of Paramount.

Doug

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe we'd get all 10 at once given Paramount's track record of releasing these. It'd be nice though I really only want I-IV, VI and First Contact.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

God, I hope you're right but, as you noted, Paramount is consistently and routinely short-sighted so assume nothing.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Exactly why I'm keeping the two disc Collector's Editions in my hot little hands until the Blu Ray is sitting on my shelf. I just pray the first edition is going to be the ONLY one and not a bare bones affair...gee, sounds familiar...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Daren Dochterman who was the effects supervisor on the Star Trek The Motion Picture DE DVD has commented on the recent news of the re-release DVD/BD discs that are reported to be coming.

His comments can be found on trekmovie.com here is the link, look for post 64 and 67: New Star Trek Movie Box Set In The Works + Description Of New Movie Stage | TrekMovie.com

Interesting to read his comments, and he gives credit to those who did the new CGI effects. He laments that Paramount didn't give his team and group the opportunity to render the work at full HD resolution, and hopes that he can re-gather the team that did the work and do the HD version for a new HD Star Trek The Motion Picture. Also he comments on other areas he wanted to work on, like the opening Klingon attack on V'Ger.

The above link also has the report on the new DVD/BD discs, in re-reading, it's not entirely clear all 10 movies are coming out at once, it's implied.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I had read a comment from Dochterman some time back that all of the files had been saved for the effects shots from TMP. It should only be a matter of re rendering them at the higher resolution, assuming the models and textures hold up well at that resolution.

As far as the Klingon attack, I would like to see them go back to the original elements and re comp them digitally to eliminate the rather obvious matte lines.

Doug

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any further news on Star Trek coming to Blu Ray?

I think The Motion Picture will need a ton of work! hopefully they do it well this time.

I know Paramount is capable of some very good mastering. The new To Catch a Thief and Once Upon A time In The West dvd's were very well done.

I hope they are able to start putting out the films and Tv series on Blu ray soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks