What's new

Lawrence of Arabia-new date? (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if Sony has announced a new date for the Lawrence of Arabia Collector's Edition? I still haven't added this title to my collection, and I was looking forward to this...only to be disappointed when it was pushed back from March to May and now an unknown date. I'm almost tempted to go out and get the single disc for $10.00. But I know that as soon as I do, they will announce a new date.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Whatever you do, DON'T buy the single disc. The colour timing is all wrong and the film looks horrendous. If you can track down the Superbit, that's your best bet until they release a new transfer.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Let me get this right. Lawrence is being released AGAIN? What was screwed up now? Does Sony have absolutely no shame? I have the SuperBit. Do I understand it is also now OOP? Regardless of what they do, I think I'll stick with the SB. Sony ain't getting one more cent from me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't understand your criticism unless you know for sure that this newest release has the same problematic transfer as before. IMO, I think they corrected it because they're getting ready to release it on Blu-ray in the near future.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, I might have jumped the gun. It's just that Sony has had a history of releasing things repeatedly with different marketing spins and features on them. Has the SB version been discontinued and is essentially just being brought back? Possibly with the extras from the SE restored? Actually, that would be exactly what I am talking about. Release a faulty SE, then release an improved SB, but without all the features of the SE, then release the SB transfer with the stuff from the SE restored. They've done it with countless titles.

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
The release I saw in the stores on Tuesday had the same features as the original 2-DVD set, and the same packaging, but a much lower price (J&R had it for sale at $11). I don't know if there's been an upgrade video-wise from that initial release (if the used the SuperBit master)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Where do you live Sean? Because the new release was supposed to be delayed.

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in NYC. J&R Music World had a bunch od DVDs of "LOA" in the new release section, right next to the new "Caine Mutiny" and "Guns of Navarone". It looked like the old 2 Disc set with a much lower price. So I'm not sure if this was an ACCTUAL new release, or just a dramatic price drop on the old edition (it was originally $40, I think. Now it looks like $15)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The new dvd's cover is on amazon.com. It says Collector's Edition and has a golden hue to it. It's not clothbound.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
To share a little bit of John's disappointment (dont know about the transfer) but that they just re-released it and didnt take the opportunity to do a new interview/commentary with O'Toole (a delightful storyteller) just smacks of making a quick buck on O'Toole's current noteriety.

Although perhaps St. Peter didnt want to talk about it since his third volume of memoirs is supposed to cover the Lawrence years (and we could expect another DVD release to conincide with that release).

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator

Does Peter O'Toole have two volumes worth of memoirs covering pre-"Lawrence" stuff, or is it just not chronological?

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

His first volume (Loitering with Intent: The Child) covers his childhood and the second volume (Loitering with Intent: The Apprentice) covers the theatrical years. His third volume, which he's working on, is said to cover the films.

FranklinC

Stunt Coordinator
Any news on this? Amazon still has it listed but with no release date.

Does anyone know if this is supposed to be a new transfer or just a repackaging of the clothbound, overpriced two-disc "Limited Edition" from 2001? I'm holding off buying the OOP Superbit version online (I can't find it anymore at any local Best Buys) because of this supposed release, but I'm wondering if it was canceled for good.

Little help?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I just picked up the Superbit at my local Best Buy for $6.99 Cdn. They're having a clearance of all Superbit titles, so I also picked up The Quick and the Dead, The Patriot, Anaconda and Gattaca. I also got the Mel Gibson Hamlet for $5.99 Cdn.

Greg_M

Screenwriter

"The Bridge on the River Kawi" was also to be re-released in this series (Amazon has it listed but also with no release date) I really like the cover art (much classier than the original) and have been holding off buying the older version - which I can only find in the single disc version - I might have to order the double DVD on on-line

FranklinC

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not even seeing the clothbound in stores anymore in central Florida, only the crappy single disc with the cheap-looking blue cover. No Superbits anywhere -- Lord knows I've tried. Waiting it out wouldn't be so hard if I knew this new version was definitely being released and had a solid date. Anyone?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
did this ever happen, i have the original clothbound release, and while it has nothing to do with the visual presentation of the film its self it looked as if sony was starting a new series of Columbia Classics, with similar coverart, cant locate Bridge on the River Kawi, anywhere, have seen Guns and its better that the horrible green photoshop, so are these new transfers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks