Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Lawrence of Arabia-new date?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted May 10 2007 - 06:11 AM

Does anyone know if Sony has announced a new date for the Lawrence of Arabia Collector's Edition? I still haven't added this title to my collection, and I was looking forward to this...only to be disappointed when it was pushed back from March to May and now an unknown date. I'm almost tempted to go out and get the single disc for $10.00. But I know that as soon as I do, they will announce a new date.

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,246 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted May 10 2007 - 02:59 PM

Whatever you do, DON'T buy the single disc. The colour timing is all wrong and the film looks horrendous. If you can track down the Superbit, that's your best bet until they release a new transfer.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,628 posts

Posted May 10 2007 - 03:30 PM

Let me get this right. Lawrence is being released AGAIN? What was screwed up now? Does Sony have absolutely no shame? I have the SuperBit. Do I understand it is also now OOP? Regardless of what they do, I think I'll stick with the SB. Sony ain't getting one more cent from me.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#4 of 25 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,032 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 10 2007 - 09:13 PM

I don't understand your criticism unless you know for sure that this newest release has the same problematic transfer as before. IMO, I think they corrected it because they're getting ready to release it on Blu-ray in the near future.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,628 posts

Posted May 11 2007 - 02:39 AM

Yeah, I might have jumped the gun. It's just that Sony has had a history of releasing things repeatedly with different marketing spins and features on them. Has the SB version been discontinued and is essentially just being brought back? Possibly with the extras from the SE restored? Actually, that would be exactly what I am talking about. Release a faulty SE, then release an improved SB, but without all the features of the SE, then release the SB transfer with the stuff from the SE restored. They've done it with countless titles.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   Sean A

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted May 12 2007 - 02:30 AM

The release I saw in the stores on Tuesday had the same features as the original 2-DVD set, and the same packaging, but a much lower price (J&R had it for sale at $11). I don't know if there's been an upgrade video-wise from that initial release (if the used the SuperBit master)

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted May 12 2007 - 04:48 AM

Where do you live Sean? Because the new release was supposed to be delayed.

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   Sean A

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted May 13 2007 - 04:16 PM

I'm in NYC. J&R Music World had a bunch od DVDs of "LOA" in the new release section, right next to the new "Caine Mutiny" and "Guns of Navarone". It looked like the old 2 Disc set with a much lower price. So I'm not sure if this was an ACCTUAL new release, or just a dramatic price drop on the old edition (it was originally $40, I think. Now it looks like $15)

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted May 13 2007 - 07:04 PM

The new dvd's cover is on amazon.com. It says Collector's Edition and has a golden hue to it. It's not clothbound.

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted May 14 2007 - 12:56 AM

To share a little bit of John's disappointment (dont know about the transfer) but that they just re-released it and didnt take the opportunity to do a new interview/commentary with O'Toole (a delightful storyteller) just smacks of making a quick buck on O'Toole's current noteriety. Although perhaps St. Peter didnt want to talk about it since his third volume of memoirs is supposed to cover the Lawrence years (and we could expect another DVD release to conincide with that release).
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   Sean Richardson

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted May 14 2007 - 06:11 AM

Does Peter O'Toole have two volumes worth of memoirs covering pre-"Lawrence" stuff, or is it just not chronological?

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted May 14 2007 - 03:35 PM

His first volume (Loitering with Intent: The Child) covers his childhood and the second volume (Loitering with Intent: The Apprentice) covers the theatrical years. His third volume, which he's working on, is said to cover the films.
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   FranklinC

FranklinC

Stunt Coordinator

• 153 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 07:55 AM

Any news on this? Amazon still has it listed but with no release date. Does anyone know if this is supposed to be a new transfer or just a repackaging of the clothbound, overpriced two-disc "Limited Edition" from 2001? I'm holding off buying the OOP Superbit version online (I can't find it anymore at any local Best Buys) because of this supposed release, but I'm wondering if it was canceled for good. Little help?

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,246 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 23 2007 - 10:49 AM

I just picked up the Superbit at my local Best Buy for $6.99 Cdn. They're having a clearance of all Superbit titles, so I also picked up The Quick and the Dead, The Patriot, Anaconda and Gattaca. I also got the Mel Gibson Hamlet for $5.99 Cdn.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 01:36 PM

"The Bridge on the River Kawi" was also to be re-released in this series (Amazon has it listed but also with no release date) I really like the cover art (much classier than the original) and have been holding off buying the older version - which I can only find in the single disc version - I might have to order the double DVD on on-line

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   GerardoHP

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor

• 696 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted July 23 2007 - 03:37 PM

I thought I saw LOA announced as a Blue-Ray title among the upcoming Sony releases. Anyone know anything about this?
Gerardo

#17 of 25 OFFLINE   Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter

• 1,710 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 05:01 PM

The cloth-bound set is part of HMV's 2-for-$30 promo in Canada right now. The location at Yorkdale in Toronto had about 20 of them on the shelf.

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   FranklinC

FranklinC

Stunt Coordinator

• 153 posts

Posted July 24 2007 - 12:02 AM

I'm not even seeing the clothbound in stores anymore in central Florida, only the crappy single disc with the cheap-looking blue cover. No Superbits anywhere -- Lord knows I've tried. Waiting it out wouldn't be so hard if I knew this new version was definitely being released and had a solid date. Anyone?

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   FranklinC

FranklinC

Stunt Coordinator

• 153 posts

Posted July 24 2007 - 12:04 AM

One of the very few times in my life I wished I lived in Canada! ;-)

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 2,269 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted February 23 2008 - 04:21 AM

did this ever happen, i have the original clothbound release, and while it has nothing to do with the visual presentation of the film its self it looked as if sony was starting a new series of Columbia Classics, with similar coverart, cant locate Bridge on the River Kawi, anywhere, have seen Guns and its better that the horrible green photoshop, so are these new transfers?
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users