Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Your Top 3 Vintage (pre-'70s) series not yet released

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#21 of 65 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted May 10 2007 - 10:20 AM

Johnny Staccato
Quick Draw McGraw
The Ruggles
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#22 of 65 OFFLINE   Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

• 732 posts

Posted May 10 2007 - 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M Fitzgerald
I'm 38 years old, and nearly all the TV series collections I want on R1 DVD are pre-1970 (both series that haven't debuted on the format yet, and series that haven't been released in their entirety). As it stands, I own a pretty extensive array of vintage TV programming on DVD (just click on my signature link, and go to "TV Series").

Many of the shows I like have been favorites since watching them in reruns on local TV during childhood (THE WILD WILD WEST, LOST IN SPACE, THE ADDAMS FAMILY, DRAGNET, THE OUTER LIMITS, BATMAN). Some are shows I only got a chance to see as a young adult, but took to them immediately (RAWHIDE, MAVERICK, ROUTE 66, THE FUGITIVE). Others are shows I caught bits of as a kid/teenager, didn't care for them much then, but I'm "ready" for them now (THE UNTOUCHABLES, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE) --and I'm loving 'em! And the shows I still haven't seen, the descriptions (or brief clips) of which are enough to make me want to "blind buy" them if they ever were made legitimately available on the format, are from the 1950s-1960s (WAY OUT, BUS STOP, T.H.E. CAT, SHOTGUN SLADE, etc).

Right now, my Top 3 "most-wanted" series that aren't represented on the DVD fromat in R1, are all owned by Universal:

1. (BORIS KARLOFF'S) THRILLER (1960-62)
2. M SQUAD (1957-60, starring Lee Marvin)
3. (ALFRED HITCHCOCK'S) SUSPICION (1957-58)

My Top 3 "must be continued" series on R1 DVD:

1. MAVERICK (1957-62) --Season Sets!!!
2. DRAGNET (1966-70) --Season 2+
3. LEAVE IT TO BEAVER (1957-63) --Season 3+

You must be like me... rather turned off with modern TV(there are exceptions). I'm the same age as you but most of my favorite shows come from before I was born or very young.

And when a TV show I never saw before from the 60's/70's comes out on DVD (i.e. Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, never saw an episode before DVD) I am more willing to give that show a shot (by actually buying the DVD) than new TV shows.

I'm trying to pin down exactly why I'm warm to classic TV and cool to modern TV and there are many reasons. Maybe some of the biggest reasons is that classic TV aimed to entertain and modern TV aims to shock. Also classic TV was for all ages but most modern TV has too much sex and violence for the young but is too adolescent for the mature.

On a visual level, I just like the look of film. I mean film being used even for post production. The titles were on film, the effects were on film. On modern and recent shows, the dissonence between the regular stuff shot on film and the effects and titles done in the video realm was always jarring. I know HDTV is changing this.

#23 of 65 OFFLINE   JoshuaB.

JoshuaB.

Second Unit

• 408 posts
  • LocationCowtown, formerly Vancouver

Posted May 10 2007 - 11:04 AM

1. Man From U.N.C.L.E.
2. The Invaders
3. Thriller

#24 of 65 OFFLINE   Elena S

Elena S

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted May 10 2007 - 11:40 AM

1) The Donna Reed show (at this point I'd take a 'best of' release)

2) The Patty Duke Show

3) Maverick

#25 of 65 OFFLINE   Gregory V

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator

• 203 posts

Posted May 10 2007 - 11:51 AM

My top three would be

THE GEORGE BURNS & GRACIE ALLEN SHOW
THE JACK BENNY SHOW
I MARRIED JOAN

There has never been anyone funnier than Gracie Allen. And Bea Benaderet as her neighbor Blanche was always funny.
Jack Benny is always a hoot, and Joan Davis (I Married Joan) is one of the overlooked comedy actresses of the 20th century. In these shows, there will be no violence, no drugs, no cursing or any of the unpleasantness that seem to be a prerequisite in todays shows. Just good laughs. I wish they would replay some of these shows so the younger generations could see how people could be genuinely funny with resorting to raunchiness.

#26 of 65 OFFLINE   cherisland

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted May 10 2007 - 12:09 PM

My Top 3 shows would be:

The Lucy Show (especially first three seasons with Vivian Vance..these episodes were priceless...the chemistry these two ladies had!) I am REALLY hoping that now that I Love Lucy is complete that this will be the next one for official release.

THe Pruitt's Of Southampton Posted Image

My Three Sons (the whole series...but what an undertaking that would be. I know some people have their preference - either the early Bub B&W eps or the newer color Uncle Charley ones, but I think the whole series was very well done and did its best to keep things fresh as time went on. Growing up I was only exposed to the color syndicated eps, but as an adult I was pleasantly surprised to see that the older B&W ones with Mike were just as good)

(honorable mention would go to The Mothers-In-Law, and maybe going back a little further Topper ! )

Guess you can kinda tell that I really like 1960's sitcoms !!

#27 of 65 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,588 posts

Posted May 10 2007 - 12:29 PM

You guys are bringing up some great shows. There really is so much untapped gold left to be mined.

Gary "I just put together my own signature that lists some of the series I want - but it would be a mile long if I listed all of them" O.
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#28 of 65 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted May 10 2007 - 02:12 PM

Damn Gary, you got quite the list. Looks like you beat our friend Mr. Willis by a few shows.
So tell me, why you only ask for seasons 3 and 4 of M:I? Are you done with it after season 4? I know im done after season 3, when Landau and Bain leave. But thats another thread.

#29 of 65 OFFLINE   Brian W.

Brian W.

Screenwriter

• 1,958 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted May 10 2007 - 04:09 PM

1. Bat Masterson
2. Bat Masterson
3. Bat Masterson

Posted Image

#30 of 65 OFFLINE   Ron68

Ron68

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts

Posted May 10 2007 - 06:10 PM

Batman
Green Hornet
Invaders

#31 of 65 OFFLINE   johnboy1

johnboy1

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted May 10 2007 - 11:51 PM

I can't think of 3 at the moment, but the one I REALLY want on DVD is THE F.B.I.

And how about some more Dragnet 67??

#32 of 65 OFFLINE   bobPON

bobPON

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted May 11 2007 - 12:17 AM

1. 77 Sunset Strip
2. Hawaiian Eye
3. Surfside Six

#33 of 65 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted May 11 2007 - 12:18 AM

Quote:
Many of the shows I like have been favorites since watching them in reruns on local TV during childhood (THE WILD WILD WEST, LOST IN SPACE, THE ADDAMS FAMILY, DRAGNET, THE OUTER LIMITS, BATMAN). Some are shows I only got a chance to see as a young adult, but took to them immediately (RAWHIDE, MAVERICK, ROUTE 66, THE FUGITIVE). Others are shows I caught bits of as a kid/teenager, didn't care for them much then, but I'm "ready" for them now (THE UNTOUCHABLES, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE) --and I'm loving 'em! And the shows I still haven't seen, the descriptions (or brief clips) of which are enough to make me want to "blind buy" them if they ever were made legitimately available on the format, are from the 1950s-1960s (WAY OUT, BUS STOP, T.H.E. CAT, SHOTGUN SLADE, etc).

Amazing--this parallels my experience and tastes almost precisely. To the latter "blind buys" I would add the following one season wonders:

"The Westerner" (due to my fondness for Sam Peckinpah's work)
"Five Fingers" (involves intrigue and casts David Hedison in the lead role)
"The Dakotas" (highly regarded western with Jack Elam)
"Hong Kong" (crime drama with leading man Rod Taylor)

And yes, awesome list, Gary. I believe we may have some overlap here. I see that you are a completist when it comes to "Daniel Boone" and "Man from U.N.C.L.E." Myself, I couldn't stomach S3 of MFU and the final season of Boone with Jimmy Dean, Don Pedro Colley and Rosey Grier was not to my liking. For M:I I see just the show listed, no mention of season preferences.

#34 of 65 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,588 posts

Posted May 11 2007 - 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_ks
Amazing--this parallels my experience and tastes almost precisely.

My viewing experiences were also very, very similar. I was born in 1965 and therefore the early 70's were when my tv viewing really began. I watched many of the shows running in syndication at that time in the afternoons and early evenings, but usually went to bed before most of the current shows aired, so my affinity was for the 50's and 60's. As I grew I had chances to watch current television, and every so often I would. But I generally found myself still watching the older fare and enjoying it so much. I didn't actually catch "THE FUGITIVE" until it started airing on A&E in the early 90's. I was hooked immediately and to this day I consider it the best show ever done - bar none.

Gary "I'm thinking that many of us born in the mid-60's would have had similar experiences" O.

#35 of 65 OFFLINE   michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted May 11 2007 - 12:53 AM

I was born in 1959 myself. Didn't watch prime time television until around 1975 and also found myself gravitating to 50s-60s era television when shows like "Love Boat", "Fantasy Island" and "Charlies Angels" were in vogue. Here and there I would tune into shows like "Ray Bradbury Theater", the 80s versions of "Twilight Zone" and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" but for me, any show I managed to latch onto prior to 1970 was like unearthing buried treasure. TV on DVD has been a godsend because I finally got the chance to witness what the fuss was all about where shows like "Have Gun Will Travel" and "Naked City" are concerned. And yes, I also discovered "Fugitive" on A&E as well as "Route 66" on Nick at Nite in the mid-80s.

Michael "Really encouraged by the strong interest for 'Route 66' shown in this thread" S.

#36 of 65 OFFLINE   Bert Greene

Bert Greene

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted May 11 2007 - 10:29 AM

Gosh, Gary, only THREE choices? Whittling it down to just ten is painful enough. Three? But I'll try my darndest. My top choice echoes that of many others... "Route 66." Although I did manage to tape all the episodes back during the Nick-at-Night reruns, those tapes have gotten awfully raggedy. I'd certainly love a dvd upgrade. Frankly, it would be such a thrill just to see all those on-location scenes in super-sharp, dvd quality. Such a wildly fascinating series.

Second choice? Well, I like Bob Hug's idea of a Ziv offering. "Highway Patrol" or "Sea Hunt" being the most likely candidates. They're just basic, undistilled action/chase fare, but they wear so very well, even over repeated viewings. I really love 'em. Plus, it's a niche of vintage-tv that really just hasn't been tapped by the majors. Its continued absence is a sore spot in my dvd library.

Third choice? Even harder. I think I'd like to go with a vintage b&w sitcom. "Father Knows Best" probably merits the spot more than any other example. But, I can't deny I'd equally welcome any number of other oldies, like "Life of Riley," "December Bride," "Topper," or such. "I Married Joan" especially (something about Joan Davis; she's silly, but boy she can really wrestle a laugh out of me at times). Again, it's another area... 50s sitcoms... that hasn't been addressed much in our current era of dvd season-sets.

But, gee, there's so much out there I'd love to see.

#37 of 65 OFFLINE   Ian K McLachlan

Ian K McLachlan

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted May 11 2007 - 11:11 AM

Mine would be -

1. Search/Probe
2. My World and Welcome to It.
3. Mr. Terrific

#38 of 65 OFFLINE   Elena S

Elena S

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted May 11 2007 - 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary OS
You guys are bringing up some great shows. There really is so much untapped gold left to be mined.

Gary "I just put together my own signature that lists some of the series I want - but it would be a mile long if I listed all of them" O.
You've listed just about all of my favorite shows. Naturally none of them are on DVD.

#39 of 65 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,588 posts

Posted May 12 2007 - 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Greene
Gosh, Gary, only THREE choices? Whittling it down to just ten is painful enough.

Yes, it is a painful and extremely difficult exercise. I don't even know why I chose 3 instead of 5 or 10. In spite of all the great, great picks that I've read about and all the wonderful shows floating around in my own mind, I am still committed to my first two choices above all others. I could flip-flop FKB with ROUTE 66 very easily, and on any given day I'd do just that. Both those are absolute musts for me. The third pick is the one that is very tough because there are over a dozen shows I could substitute for MY THREE SONS, even though I love it dearly. It's just such a tough call.

Speaking of SEA HUNT, I should have taken the opportunity a couple of years ago when the show was airing on the Outdoor Network to get them on dvd. I'm not sure, but I think they might have been running at nearly full length and with limited commercials. Would have been a great chance to snag that series. I now have an eagle eye out for any of the classics that run on stations either uncut (like one of the Encore stations) or on stations that don't have the bugs (like WHT). They are far and few between, but at this point I'm not going to count on my favorites coming out on dvd. If I see them airing, I'm probably going to record them just to play it safe. But finding them on stations that don't chop them to bits, put in the annoying bugs and ads, and are willing to actually run the end credits is almost impossible at this point. If only I had known things would be getting so ridiculous 10 to 15 years ago, I could have stocked up on many of my favorites. Who would have thought we'd ever get to the place where FATHER KNOWS BEST, MY THREE SONS, ROUTE 66 and many other shows wouldn't be aired every few years. But that's exactly where we are now.

Gary "sigh... what could have been had I only known" O.

#40 of 65 OFFLINE   Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted May 12 2007 - 01:47 AM

I too have a hard time limiting to 3, and I suppose it may change, but currently...

1. Peyton Place- I am enjoying watching Dark Shadows unfold after a 40 year hiatus... I can barely remember the plot lines, so it's new all over again- I too would love to see the continuing story of Peyton Place... Makes me think of my Grandma!

2. The Lucy Show- I have to agree with some others that have said here and elsewhere that the first 3 seasons would be most coveted, as the series has not yet dipped into contrived formulas with the Lucy character.

3. Petticoat Junction- I loved the MPI set that came out a couple of years ago, and would love to eventually have all episodes in my collection!

Many Honorable mentions as well, but I'll leave it at that for now!

Jack

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow