Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Rumor: Influential HD-DVD studio, Universal, going neutral - now denied, see post #22

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#1 of 68 OFFLINE   London Lawson

London Lawson

Second Unit

• 253 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 04:26 AM

http://n4g.com/indus...sCom-38720.aspx
Heise Online, a German IT website, is reporting that during a press conference, representatives from Pioneer announced that Universal will break their exclusivity agreement with HD DVD. This would allow Universal, the only large studio exclusively supporting HD DVD, to freely distribute their movies on Blu-ray. It is important to note that this announcement has not yet been confirmed by Universal.

It has long been speculated that Universal was receiving monetary compensation for being an exclusive HD DVD studio. This announcement would signal that they have decided to forgo the compensation in order to release titles on Blu-ray. Most would agree that this move would effectively end the war, and no matter what side you support, a single HD format is the best long term solution

#2 of 68 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 05:01 AM

Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#3 of 68 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,065 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted May 09 2007 - 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
Posted Image

You beat me to the popcorn eating smiley. Posted Image

#4 of 68 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 05:12 AM

Well, there's always the trainwreck smiley, which will be equally appropriate I'm sure. Posted Image

Posted Image
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#5 of 68 OFFLINE   Romar Armas

Romar Armas

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 05:17 AM

Maybe it's because of the Delays from FOX and Disney. Posted Image They need someone to actually release titles. Posted Image
DVD Collection
Xbox Live Gamertag: GunnerXXX
PS3 Online: GunnerX

#6 of 68 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,065 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted May 09 2007 - 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
Well, there's always the trainwreck smiley, which will be equally appropriate I'm sure. Posted Image

Posted Image

LOL!!!!

#7 of 68 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,270 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 05:35 AM

Over on AVS, Django has stated: “Don't be surprised if this rumor was released to curtail the effect of one of the BDA's studio who is about to announce neutrality...mark my words.” Link

He is being called a “troll” over there by several, but still, it will be interesting to see if anything develops.Posted Image

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#8 of 68 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,668 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 06:40 AM

The format war will be at an end when all big studios go format neutral. I doubt if Universal going neutral alone would be in the consumer's interest at this very moment.

(And we will need to wait and see if it's true at all. It's a German article? The part about Universal allegedly receiving monetary compensation looks a bit ugly worded. If they have a contract with any party - about anything - it would be quite normal to have financial consequences agreed as well.)

Cees

#9 of 68 OFFLINE   Rhoq

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 06:41 AM

It's been stated several times by Universal that have absolutely no plans of supporting BluRay. I think the article has confused Universal's Home Video division with Universal Music Europe, who from what I have read - is planning some BluRay releases.

#10 of 68 OFFLINE   John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 08:22 AM

I look forward to the day when this rumor becomes a reality. I'm a one-format believer.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#11 of 68 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Lawson
http://n4g.com/indus...sCom-38720.aspx
Heise Online, a German IT website, is reporting that during a press conference, representatives from Pioneer announced that Universal will break their exclusivity agreement with HD DVD.
WoW!!!! By golly, it must be so. Especially from such an unbiased source as a Pioneer Rep. Guess I will have to see if I can dump my HD DVD's fast. Posted Image
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#12 of 68 OFFLINE   MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Alons
The format war will be at an end when all big studios go format neutral. I doubt if Universal going neutral alone would be in the consumer's interest at this very moment.

(And we will need to wait and see if it's true at all. It's a German article? The part about Universal allegedly receiving monetary compensation looks a bit ugly worded. If they have a contract with any party - about anything - it would be quite normal to have financial consequences agreed as well.)

Cees

come on Cees, if universal will turn neutral war is over...
you can talk about it from whatever point of view.......

and yes, it's best for customers, because there will be only one format.... Posted Image

Marek

#13 of 68 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekM
and yes, it's best for customers, because there will be only one format.... Posted Image

Marek
Sure. Then they can join Fox and Disney and cancel/delay all of there releases.Posted Image

#14 of 68 OFFLINE   MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppltd
Sure. Then they can join Fox and Disney and cancel/delay all of there releases.Posted Image

Posted Image :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P Posted Image

#15 of 68 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 09:56 AM

Posted Image
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekM
Posted Image :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 of 68 OFFLINE   David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 11:37 AM

I dunno...I dunno...the Sony machinery has been fairly successful when in the spin-cycle; might be their only effective tool at the moment.

With the undeniable up-tick that HD has been in lately...the potential for a strong showing in the hardware department over at Wal-mart...the beginning of an actual marketing push from HD central. The timing doesn't seem right for Universal to take that step. Things are looking up for HD.

Seems peculiar that the rumor came from Europe. Maybe it's the kind of rumor they knew couldn't be gotten away with planting in this country, with its more contentious high-def marketplace.

I detect the sweet aroma of a rodent carcass, blooming under the springtime sun.

#17 of 68 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Alons
The format war will be at an end when all big studios go format neutral.
I think it will be quite the opposite. If every studio went format neutral the war would be on indefinitely and would then beg the question, "if all the studios are releasing on two formats, why not just release on one and be done with it?"

If you want to end the format war, all the studios should back one format. Universal going neutral would do just that. Or the other way would take Fox, Disney and Sony. Which do you think is most likely to happen?

Of course even though I would love for it to happen, I don't believe this rumor for a bit. I don't think it will happen until after the holiday season. But then again with all of the seemingly positive HD news, over the past couple weeks, the numbers still favored BD every single time and that 'since inception' percentage continues to grow in BD's favor.

#18 of 68 OFFLINE   Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 12:05 PM

Fox and Disney haven't canceled all their releases. They've just delayed some so they'll actually play, unlike Univesal discs.Posted Image And so they can mass-produce the biggies over the catalogs that will only sell a handful.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#19 of 68 OFFLINE   John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 12:13 PM

That's the thing, Sony WILL NOT go neutral. Also, Disney is providing better support to Blu than they did for DVD at this point in the cycle. All signs point to Universal being the first to blink.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#20 of 68 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Harbaugh
But then again with all of the seemingly positive HD news, over the past couple weeks, the numbers still favored BD every single time and that 'since inception' percentage continues to grow in BD's favor.
Actually, I think if you look at the numbers, the percentages differences has been closing as of late. Since the end of March there has been a striking increase in HD DVD sales, and the HD to BD ratio has not increased, but rather stated shifting, albeit in small numbers.

While it is way too soon to draw any conclusions, it is not in any since of the word a growth spurt in BD's favor. Seems like the numbers are currently looking to be 40% HD to 60% BD. This is much better than earlier in the year when the numbers reached as much as 20% HD to 80% BD.

On a weekly basis, it is more difficult to read the numbers, as there have been spurts on both sides, depending on what films are slated for release. The sudden pull back of releases from the BD camp is certainly not helping them.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow