Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Robocop: 20th Anniversary CE Aug. 21, Both Cuts Included

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

#1 of 61 OFFLINE   ScottJH

ScottJH

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted May 08 2007 - 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedigitalbits.com
In announcement news, MGM has set a RoboCop: 20th Anniversary Collector's Edition for release on 8/21 (SRP $22.98) as a 2-disc set. Disc One will include the theatrical cut of the film in anamorphic widescreen with Dolby Digital & DTS 5.1 audio, audio commentary by director Paul Verhoven, writer Ed Neumeier and executive producer Jon Davison, 4 featurettes (Flesh and Steel: The Making of RoboCop, Shooting RoboCop, Making RoboCop and The Boardroom: Storyboard with Commentary by Animator Phil Tippet), 4 deleted scenes, a 6-subject photo gallery, the film's theatrical trailer and a TV spot. Disc Two will add the extended cut of the film (also anamorphic with 5.1 audio), 3 featurettes (Villains of Old Detroit, Special Effects: Then and Now and RoboCop: Creating a Legend), a "Paul Verhoven Easter egg" and more trailers and TV spots.

Please Fox/MGM give the extended cut a good PQ remastering. Not the oversharpened mess from the Robocop Trilogy boxset. While your at it 16x9 enhanced 1.66 AR would be nice also.

#2 of 61 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 08 2007 - 08:47 AM

Maybe time to sell that old Criterion disc. . . Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#3 of 61 OFFLINE   captainjoe

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted May 08 2007 - 09:47 AM

Hopefully they'll adress those transfer errors like the contrast boosting/clipping and noise reduction. Also, some complained that the colours were off.

#4 of 61 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,448 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted May 08 2007 - 10:02 AM

One of my favorite sci-fi films, love the steel case cover = a triple dip for moi. Posted Image

http://www.dvdtimes....contentid=64814

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#5 of 61 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted May 08 2007 - 10:26 AM

I will double dip. I hated Robocop 2 and 3, so i never bought the 3 pack that came out. I just have the Criterion version, and i wont sell it til the new set is in my hand.

#6 of 61 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted May 08 2007 - 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christou
One of my favorite sci-fi films, love the steel case cover = a triple dip for moi. Posted Image

http://www.dvdtimes....contentid=64814

Steef, that's fucking SWEET looking!Posted Image I was about to give in and buy the RoboCop Trilogy just to have the first two films. Glad I held off for this! This is a must buy! Only problem is the font they chose and the orange colour scheme, which should be blue. They could use the original logo but have the same "look" for it. Hopefully there'll be a thick booklet.
Now if only they'd give us a seamless branching version with loads of supplements for RoboCop 2. They could hopefully find more footage to make an "R" rated version for RoboCop 3. That would be the only reason for me to buy the last film. And where's the RoboCop TV series? I think it's a Region 2 or 4 exclusive at the moment if I'm not mistaken...Posted Image

And just to be technical and nitpicky, it's RoboCop, not Robocop.Posted Image There's a reason why it's camel-caps on the title screen.

#7 of 61 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted May 08 2007 - 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_R

And just to be technical and nitpicky, it's RoboCop, not Robocop.Posted Image There's a reason why it's camel-caps on the title screen.

That annoys me too.

Two words to describe this upcoming release:

HELL YEAH!!!!!

RoboCop has always been my all-time favorite movie character. This is just the best news I've heard in a good long while.

#8 of 61 OFFLINE   AaronMan

AaronMan

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted May 08 2007 - 08:17 PM

Why did they abandon the RoboCop logo/font years ago? Criterion's cover has always been the coolest. And the original movie poster of him stepping out of the police car was awesome.

#9 of 61 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 12:46 AM

Sounds like a nice set but I've double/triple dipped enough over the years on SD so I'll hold on to my Criterion. I can wait 6-12 months for the eventual BD.

Besides at this point I'm not really inclined to support anything that Fox stands to make money on, even as a distributor.
Death before Streaming!

#10 of 61 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 03:58 AM

Id purchase for a perfect transfer of the Dir Cut

#11 of 61 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,078 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted May 09 2007 - 04:15 AM

I wonder if the IP rights to the original logo have expired. That's generally the reason they wouldn't use it.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#12 of 61 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 04:33 AM

I have the MGM Special Edition, that ain't so special, so I would pick this up, especially since it will be blue ray only, and actually they might not even release it, since it's already out on Blu ray
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#13 of 61 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scarpa
especially since it will be blue ray only, and actually they might not even release it, since it's already out on Blu ray

Wasn't the original Blu-Ray release recalled or something?

#14 of 61 OFFLINE   captainjoe

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted May 09 2007 - 11:21 AM

Yes it was because of the switch to Fox but I think it was because the disc was aweful:

http://www.dvdtalk.c....=23110&___rd=1

#15 of 61 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted August 06 2007 - 11:45 PM

Looks like i'll be triple-dipping as well, this looks sweet. Posted Image

RoboCop has always been one of my all time favorite film characters, and is still the coolest looking cyborg in film history (sorry Endoskeleton). I've always appreciated the Frankenstein parallels to this story and I look upon Alex Murphy as a truly tragic character study.

I agree that the sheen on the cover should have been blue rather than orange, though, it looks very strange but I love that it's metel, will go nicly with the two metel cases I have for Terminator 2 (Ultimate & Extreme editions).
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#16 of 61 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted August 07 2007 - 01:43 AM

Quote:
I wonder if the IP rights to the original logo have expired. That's generally the reason they wouldn't use it.
Can you explain this further?

#17 of 61 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted August 07 2007 - 02:16 AM

That steelbook thing is hideous.

Will this be a 1.85 or 1.66 transfer and how do we know it's not just the same transfer struck for the Sony distr. release last year?

I think I'll likely stick with my Criterion Ed. It might be non-anamorphic and the transfer isn't as sharp as it could be, but at least the color saturation and look of the film isn't manipulated for this high-def digital age where studios think that every movie regardless of when it was made, should look like some brand new digital action flick.

Also, why can't studios just release normal packaging with original artwork... is that so hard?

#18 of 61 OFFLINE   Charlie O.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted August 09 2007 - 02:53 AM

I'm only going for this release if its a new 1.66 transfer.

#19 of 61 OFFLINE   Arnie G

Arnie G

Supporting Actor

• 662 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 04:25 AM

Has anyone seen any reviews of this yet?
I've got my own Toto

#20 of 61 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted August 20 2007 - 09:27 AM

I recieved the new 2-disc last week. Disc 1 is the theatrical cut with the previous MGM commentary. Disc 2 is the unrated, uncut 103-minute version. The featurette, "Villains of Old Detroit" is awesome. Ray Wise is a hoot. I was disappointed by the deleted scenes. I was expecting the on-the-street report with the nun would be outrageous, but its just boring. The "Naked Pizza" advert with the "I'd buy that for a dollar" is quite amusing. The new "Creating a Legend" (17 minutes) focuses on the creation of the suit, but covers much of the same ground as the previous "Flesh and Steel" (37 mins) which has been carried over, thankfully. The Criterion LD can be seen in the background of Paul Sammon's interview.

For reference: DVD Beaver

As for the transfer (1.78:1), it looks new. RoboCop doesn't look blue, but grey like the Criterion. The colors in the liquor store are far more vibrant in the new transfer. The contrast and brightness levels are more balanced, too. Verhoeven may have preferred 1.66:1 back in the 90s, but I can't imagine him wanting 1.66:1 pillarbox today. The headroom looks excessive on the Criterion these days.

The original Dolby SR as a 4.0 (L,C,R and rear mono; Criterion is L,R and rear mono) Dolby track is provided. Sounds great.

The Dolby 5.1 has a stronger punch than the 4.0 and Basil Poledouris' terrific score is mixed a bit higher. The DTS may sound slightly better, I can't be too sure.

If you are a big fan of the film, then upgrade.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow