• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 JohnOPR

JohnOPR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted May 08 2007 - 02:10 AM

I noticed that the old Boris Karloff series "Thriller" is available for purchase at the following site: skaryguyvideo.com.

Is this for real? According to the advertisement, it's a 17 DVD set, consisting of 67 episodes, Region 1/NTSC, for $99.99.

This was a pretty good series in its day, one which I'd like to have. However, I wasn't aware that it had been officially released. Anyone know what the story is here?

May I add that I got the skaryguyvideo.com address from DVDTalk.com, which I think provides good information on upcoming releases. If "skaryguy" fits into the category of a bootleg site, however, I'd ask the moderators to please delete my post.

#2 of 10 Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted May 08 2007 - 02:32 AM

Yep, that's a bootleg site!

Before this shuts down, I do wish Universal would release "Thriller" officially.

#3 of 10 Charles H

Charles H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted May 08 2007 - 02:48 AM

THRILLER was a terrific TV series and Universal did bring out 8 episodes on VHS and LD. Since Universal is the iconic Horror studio and Boris Karloff is represented on many of their dvds (you could argue that he is the quintessential Universal star), THRILLER would seem a natural for dvd despite being in b-&-w.
Charles Hoyt

#4 of 10 Jeff#

Jeff#

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted May 08 2007 - 02:58 AM

It's one of my all time favorite crime / horror anthology shows.
If only Boris had acted in more of the stories than he did.

After all...THRILLER isn't just a Michael Jackson video! Posted Image

#5 of 10 Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted May 08 2007 - 04:15 AM

With two sets each of THE WILD WILD WEST and THE ADDAMS FAMILY now available (plus season 1 of WKRP, despite its problems), and the August debut of THE FUGITIVE on R1 DVD confirmed, BORIS KARLOFF'S THRILLER now jumps to the top spot of my most-wanted TV series not legitimately available on R1 DVD.

While some key Universal-owned classic horror flicks and creature-features still need a legit release in R1 (ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, MURDERS IN THE ZOO, DR. CYCLOPS, MAN-MADE MONSTER, TERROR ABOARD, NIGHT MONSTER, THE DEADLY MANTIS, THE LAND UNKNOWN, ISLAND OF TERROR, etc), most of their bigger genre titles are currently available, so Universal would do well to produce a "Season One" set, or "Complete Collection" of BORIS KARLOFF'S THRILLER, as a high-profile TV on DVD release, in time for Halloween '07 or Halloween '08.

Sure, I like NIGHT GALLERY and KOLCHAK, but pound for pound, BORIS KARLOFF'S THRILLER remains the greatest horror series (despite some largely so-so crime-oriented episodes early in its run) ever produced for network TV in the U.S.A.

Give it some respect, Universal!

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010)

#6 of 10 Jeff#

Jeff#

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted May 08 2007 - 01:19 PM

It should be noted that Universal released at least a few volumes of THRILLER episodes on VHS in 1994. The fact that it didn't sell well 13 years ago, doesn't work in favor of it coming to DVD.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 of 10 Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted May 08 2007 - 01:49 PM

I have the Laserdisc box set, but I want the entire series on DVD.
Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
2,000-plus Blu-ray & DVD reviews now playing...
http://www.thecinemalaser.com

#8 of 10 chas speed

chas speed

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted May 08 2007 - 04:25 PM

It should also be noted that Universal's VHS and laserdisc releases of Thriller were both completely botched. The VHS boxes had strange drawing that had nothing to do with the show and also had the title of the episode in very large print, but had the name of the show in small print. Most people would never even know what these videos were unless you took a really good look. The laserdisc box set had six episodes for about 100 bucks. Can you blame people for not buying them?

#9 of 10 Jeff#

Jeff#

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted May 08 2007 - 04:38 PM

Too bad laserdiscs don't play in DVD players.
If they did, I'd buy that $100 set from you for $10. Posted Image

#10 of 10 chas speed

chas speed

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted May 08 2007 - 05:36 PM

I think I did sell my Thriller laserdisc box set for about 10 bucks on ebay a few years ago. I did make DVD-R copies first though, so it wasn't a total loss. Those transfers looked so beautiful and the sound on the laserdisc was amazing. The 6 episodes for a 100 bucks Thriller laserdisc set did make the 6 episode for 60 bucks Night Gallery Season one dvd set seem like a good deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users