What's new

Red Dawn: 2-Disc Collector's Edition (1 Viewer)

John*P

Second Unit
From DavisDVD...

MGM Home Entertainment has Red Dawn: Collector's Edition for release on July 17th. Patrick Swayze, C. Thomas Howell, Charlie Sheen and Lea Thompson lead an all-star cast in director John Milius' 80's propaganda action film. This new two-disc set arrives with a new 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer, Dolby Digital 2.0 and Mono tracks. Bonus materials include the featurettes "Red Dawn Rising," "Military Training," "WWIII Comes To Town" and "Building the Red Menace." The film also will include an optional "Carnage Counter" feature that will keep a running tally of violent acts (deaths, bodily injuries, shots fired, etc.) at the top of the screen during playback. Retail is $19.99.

You can check out the cover art here: http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/red-dawn.html

Patrick.C

Second Unit
I finally buckled and picked up the non-anamorphic release less than two months ago! Arg. Double dip here I come.

Kenneth English

Second Unit

I might agree if this was Saving Private Ryan or some other serious (read: remotely realistic or believable) drama but Red Dawn is so over-the-top with corny Reagan-era jingoistic camp that it's impossible for me to be offended. Looking at it now you'd swear it was intended as comedy.

This feature is probably intended as a sarcastic response to the fact that Red Dawn used to be in the Guinness Book of Records as having the most acts of violence of any film up to that time (1984). It was calculated that on average an act of violence occurs at a rate of 134 per hour or 2.23 per minute.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
WOLVERINES!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, the violence in this is about as realistic as a Wile E. Coyote/Road Runner cartoon. The carnage meter will have the same effect as the profanity meter in Scarface (1983).

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I am going to be double dipping on this one for sure. The cover art is great compared to the other one...... HELL YEAH

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Also have to say, where are the deleted scenes? The film had quite a few that even were released as stills. One of C. Thomas Howell going to a McDonalds and talking to a Russian soldier, exchanging hats I think.

They could also have something about the impact of the film. The operation in Iraq that successfully captured Saddam Hussein was named after the film.

And a Milius commentary would be great.

And while the cover art is better than the last, the original movie poster was one of my favorites. I wish they stuck with that.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Hopefully there will be more extras that have not been announced yet. I agree that deleted scenes and a commentary would be great.

A strange choice for a not-so-special Special Edition release, but I'll just be glad to finally be able to purchase an anamorphic copy of the film.

Kenneth English

Second Unit
BTW -- Just in case anyone here doesn't know:

Intrada Records has just released a brand new, remastered and complete CD of Basil Poledouris' score for RED DAWN.

This is something of a special occassion for Intrada since the original release was the very first soundtrack they ever produced (on vinyl no less!) way back in 1985!

Get 'em while they're hot!

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c..../.f?category=6

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I love the score of RED DAWN, so will get a copy, although according to a post on Amazon, the CD won't be out until July.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
I have always had a soft spot for this film but never bothered to pick it up, now I am glad I didn't.

Patrick.C

Second Unit
Dennis - there's a review over at dvdtalk that includes a write up on the special features. They sound pretty good, but I think I'll wait for the price drop on this (a double dip for me).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks