What's new

Warner Amadeus, One Flew, 2008 Non-THD (1 Viewer)

Andy_MT

Second Unit
as good as it is to hear these releases are coming, i kind of wish they wouldn't announce them so early. 2008 is a long time away. just makes it all the more frustrating they're not coming out sooner.

talking of which, it would be nice if warner would start announcing more catalog titles for this year (where are all these ones they tantalised us once upon a time, a very long time ago ?)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Is it non-THD?? I didn't notice that anywhere in the article. All it says is that they're being releases "February 2008, simultaneous on Blu-ray and HD DVD" which I suppose could still mean THD.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I too am hopeful that THD will be abandoned. With all the replication problems we've seen with DVD-18 and HD DVD/DVD combos, I can just imagine the quality control nightmare a BD/HD DVD combo would entail.

Short of one side giving up, the next best solution, in my mind, are dual-format players, not dual-format discs. Bleh.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
It doesn't state whether they will be seperate disks, or one THD, just that they will be released at the same time. Here's hoping it is 'not' a THD disk. As many problems I have been having recently with Combo disks, I don't want to see another Combo type creeping into the mix.

Norman Matthews

Second Unit
Not to get too off-topic, but on the subject of THD, I've long suspected (and this suspicion grows as the inexplicable delay continues) that the flagship release for the format will be the Ultimate Superman Collection.

I have a feeling that the announcement of that collection and the official "unveiling" of THD will happen simultaneously.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
It'd be kind of funny to me if Amadeus shows up on THD considering its flipper status early in DVD's lifetime.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, 2008? Glad to see 'em in the pipeline but it's a wee bit early for a press release.

and another vote against THD.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i forgot all abouty thd.

anyway hope amadeus will be both versions.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Why the early press release? 2008 is really far away. Not even Memorial Day 2007 yet. It's not like Warner needs to convince us they're committed to HD media. :) Kind of confused about this strategy of such a long wait. Still, it's good to hear and while they're out it, go ahead and announce Chariots of Fire in HD DVD & Blu-ray too. :D

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The recent announcement of a push back to THD coming to market makes me wonder if they've been contemplating that since shortly after the announcement of the "format."

Andy_MT

Second Unit
or maybe they're just waiting till after Q4 to see if there are still 2 formats around :)

still, THD seems a completely insane idea on paper. i think format war neutrality would be better acquired with dual format players. THD just doesn't seem very practicle and might end up being a bit of an embarassment for warner.

but this delay is not good because they had around 20 titles to go on launch. so now they're delayed and the already meager selection of catalog titles from warner is now even more meager.

but no matter, i'm sure they'll treat us to another steven segal release to tide us over :frowning:

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

2008 is actually only about 6 months away. Whats the normal lead time on announced titles?

Doug

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't like the idea of THD, but they make perfect sense from a manufacturing and retail point of view. They actually make more sense than combo players, because they eliminate the need for a complex solution.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Well, my post was on May 3 which was really 8 months from 2008 assuming the film is released on Jan 1, 2008. :P :) Still, pretty early. Of course Disney announed the BD for Santa Claus 3 for November 2007 a few months back.

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6456115.html

I can only imagine that thier catalog titles would be the main titles they would want for Total HD. They can guess how many would sell between both formats and release that amount in Total HD. This way they don't end up with a significant number unsold in either format. Also, catalog titles are exactly the kinds of movies that would "get lost at retail".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks