Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Mr. Ed, a Zebra?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,625 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted May 02 2007 - 03:35 PM

I'm having trouble accepting this story, even though its on Snopes.com. An article there claims that Mr. Ed was portrayed by a Zebra. Because it was filmed and broadcast in black and white, viewers could not tell the difference. Wha?

It goes on to mention that officials in early NFL black and white broadcasts caused many problems. This is do not remember.

Here's a link to the story: http://www.snopes.co....n=color#toggle
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted May 02 2007 - 05:11 PM

If you're purposely attempting to perpetuate a fairly well-known hoax and I'm pooping the party or spoiling the joke, I apologize in advance.

That said...here's the real scoop, directly from snopes.com:

http://www.snopes.com/lost/false.htm

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   Mark_B

Mark_B

Second Unit

• 290 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted May 02 2007 - 10:45 PM

What gave it away was when it said that because the NFL was broadcast in black and white the players kept running into the refs because they couldn't see the stripes. I guess they all had little monitors. LOL

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted May 02 2007 - 11:26 PM

I'm pretty sure it's true, Mr Ed was in fact a zebra. I'll admit, the bit about the NFL games and the Johnny Cash concert seem STUPID. The people, (the players and the prison guards), were there, they were seeing the other people, (refs and prisoners), in color, unless the had color-blindness.

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 15,127 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted May 03 2007 - 03:18 AM

Another little-known fact is that Wilbur was a lesbian trapped in a man's body.

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,313 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 03 2007 - 04:31 AM

Note the section of the Snopes site this "story" resides in:

In this case, "I found it on snopes" does not indicate that the story is true. Posted Image

Joe

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,342 posts

Posted May 03 2007 - 07:51 AM

That's why I've never understood the purpose of that section. It cheapens the authority that the site otherwise has.

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,625 posts

Posted May 04 2007 - 01:48 AM

I certainly agree with that statement. I was not trying to perpetuate anything. I was reading that article with the understanding that the purpose of Snopes was to debunk crap like this. I didn't see the section that Joseph quoted.

I think they are diluting the value of the website. The link that leads to this article reads: "Television's Mr. Ed was a horse" and is flagged with the red circle to indicate the statement is false. They use red and green circles throughout the site to indicate true and false.

I was sort of taken in, by believing that Snopes was publishing this as fact, but I still couldn't believe it, which resulted in this posting. I guess I'm one of those "who are born every minute."Posted Image
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted May 04 2007 - 03:51 AM

> I certainly agree with that statement. Me, too.

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted May 04 2007 - 04:04 AM

I didn't mean for what I wrote to come off sounding like it probably did... It's just that people often post outrageous or questionable things like this (usually in the AHL) with a "wink wink nudge nudge" sensibility, intended strictly as a joke, but I couldn't tell if your post was one of those or if it was serious. It sounded serious (which you have subsequently confirmed) and that's why I treated it as such. But, in case it was intended facetiously and I was stomping it right out of the gate, that's why I apologized upfront. I also agree about that section of Snopes.com. It's fine for what it is, but I have very often seen things linked and referenced out of the overall context, usually because people didn't know about that section and its purpose (exactly as happened here), and that's when the misinformation starts to flow. Too bad, since I absolutely love Snopes.com otherwise.

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,625 posts

Posted May 04 2007 - 09:40 AM

I didn't have any problem with what you wrote, I can understand why someone might wonder about my intentions, considering the subject.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted May 04 2007 - 10:56 AM

The only thing I heard about football and black & white TV was they made one team wear a light color and the other a dark color so it would be easier to tell which team was which for those watching the game on a B&W set.

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted May 04 2007 - 03:49 PM

So everyone is saying this is from a section on Snopes were they treat something not true, as though it were true? Well that is f'd up! I read that Mr. Ed thing a long time ago and I really thought it was legit, because Snopes is usually reliable and I didn't know they had a bogus section like that.

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted May 05 2007 - 03:39 PM

Think about it for a second. If there's one thing black and white TV or film is good for, it's telling black from white. The old iconoscope and I/O cameras couldn't hold a black level, so large surfaces tended to wash out to the same medium grey, but edges of black-to-white and white-to-black were ultra-sharp. You might not be able to tell a brown horse from a grey one, but a zebra would be instantly recognizable.

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted May 06 2007 - 04:08 AM

Can you name some B&W movies featuring zebras, so we can watch them and verify how easy they are to see?

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,919 posts

Posted May 06 2007 - 05:07 AM

Mr. Ed was not a Zebra. The whole idea that a zebra would show up as white on a black and white broadcast is absurd. The only thing that is going to show as white is white. I am assuming all of you are just going along with this joke.

I found this at http://www.tvacres.c...es_mistered.htm

Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted May 06 2007 - 08:39 AM

I can't imagine what kind of "verification" you could need for this, but I'm sure there are plenty of examples — the only one I can think of right now is Abbot & Costello's Africa Screams, which is bound to have some stock footage of zebras, but it's not as though they would look different than Holstein cows, or even black sign-lettering on a white background. The leopard in Bringing Up Baby was easy enough to see, and it was black on orange. There are enough monochrome films set in Africa that I'm sure you could find several examples, but the question is rather silly.

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Test Subject

• 2,089 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted May 06 2007 - 08:51 AM

Black and white broadcasts can show black and white. That is why they call it Black and white. So a zebra would look exactly like a zebra. A ref would look like a ref. Wow. I think I lost a month of time and it is still April 1.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,315 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted May 06 2007 - 05:03 PM

Posted Image

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted May 06 2007 - 11:59 PM

Well in my case, I thought it was some kind of peculiarty in the way they filmed back then, (see more below). That, and the fact the way it was reported on Snopes, (I was not aware they had a bogus story section), is what led me to believe it was true. *Kind of like even fairly recently, when you see a computer screen in a movie or TV it is flickering very bad, but if you were standing in the room, it would not look like it is flickering like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users