-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Psycho IV: The Beginnning...Finally coming to DVD!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 Rhoq

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted May 01 2007 - 04:16 PM

According to The Digital Bits, the made-for-Showtime sequel Psycho IV: The Beginning will be released as part of a "Triple Feature"" along with Psycho II and II on August 14th.

#2 of 15 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,693 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 01 2007 - 10:41 PM

I'm not particularly happy that I have to rebuy II and III to get IV but what the hell. I think the MSRP is $20 so it'll be $15 and that's not too bad.

#3 of 15 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,702 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted May 01 2007 - 11:13 PM

Not worth the money for IV if you already have the other 2. Posted Image
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#4 of 15 Rhoq

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted May 02 2007 - 12:57 AM

Fortunately, for me, I never got around picking up II or III on DVD so (for a change) I won't be double-dipping!

#5 of 15 Pete Battista

Pete Battista

Screenwriter

• 1,959 posts
  • LocationPrincess Anne, Md. USA

Posted May 02 2007 - 03:02 AM

This is good news for me... I don't have 2 or 3 yet either. Posted Image

#6 of 15 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,693 posts

Posted May 02 2007 - 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman970
Not worth the money for IV if you already have the other 2. Posted Image
Sell the other two on eBay and you'll probably break even or end up paying a couple bucks for Psycho IV. That's my plan anyway.

#7 of 15 Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted May 02 2007 - 04:07 PM

It's good to see something other than TV shows discussed on this board. Posted Image

The original Hitchcock PSYCHO I bought a few years ago, but I haven't gotten around to buying the 3 sequels (although I've seen all of them). "Psycho 4: The Beginning" was written by Joseph Stefano for the Showtime network in 1990, and it was the beginning of a long association with the cable network that peaked with the new version of The Outer Limits.

I enjoyed Psycho 4. It answered the question of how Norman became the nutjob he was (his mom sexually abused him), and that makes total sense. The story ending was simple yet very satistfying and the perfect way to close the saga of Norman Bates. It was the last time that Anthony Perkins played the role, but it wasn't his last film.

#8 of 15 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,702 posts

Posted May 02 2007 - 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
Sell the other two on eBay and you'll probably break even or end up paying a couple bucks for Psycho IV. That's my plan anyway.
Sounds like that would be worth the effort. I've only ever bought on ebay. I remember picking up the Richard Pryor movie set with Car Wash, Bustin Loose, etc. All of those appeared in single form. Maybe Psycho IV will get one to.
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#9 of 15 Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted May 03 2007 - 12:36 AM

Any chance that Olivia Hussey (Mrs. Bates) or CCH Pounder might have done audio commentaries for Psycho IV or how about Meg Tilly for Psycho II?

Psycho III (which Perkins directed) is definately the worst of the bunch, so a commentary by Diana Scarwid is the last thing anybody would to hear. Posted Image

#10 of 15 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,702 posts

Posted May 03 2007 - 04:27 AM

No extras except for trailers (I believe). But the transfers are top notch. Posted Image

I liked III. It has some pretty good moments and often you can laugh at it too. Also it's kind of weird to watch since I believe Perkins learned he had AIDS while he was producing it.

#11 of 15 Haden

Haden

Supporting Actor

• 782 posts

Posted August 16 2007 - 06:35 PM

I saw the new Pyscho 2/3/4 Triple Feature DVD at Best Buy today and noticed on the back cover that not only is Psycho 2 and 3 labeled as having anamorphic widescreen transfers, but so is Psycho 4! Can anybody who has already purchased the DVD tell me if the back cover is correct? Psycho IV was presented as a cable TV movie and every time I've seen it it was shown in fullscreen. So does the DVD actually sport a new legitimate widescreen version showing more than we've ever seen on its TV broadcasts, or is it the fullscreen version with letterbox matting to make appear to be widescreen? I'm not sure how we can really verify it since this is the first and only DVD release... unless someone taped one of its past airings on cable and can compare how much is shown on the DVD versus the cable broadcast.

#12 of 15 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,693 posts

Posted August 17 2007 - 05:19 AM

It's widescreen. Psycho IV was released theatrically overseas so maybe the movie was shot open matte. Then they could show the open matte version on cable and then also be able to matte the frame to 1.78 for the theatrical release. If that's the case, it's a tough call as to what is the correct AR.

I'll try to find my VHS copy (Universal's release and not a copy of Showtime's airing) and compare the two.

EDIT: I found my VHS copy and compared it to the DVD and they've definitely matted the top and bottom of the frame on the DVD. HOWEVER, that's presumably how it was shown in foreign theaters.

I'll watch the movie this weekend (and look for problems with head room or objects being cropped out) but as far as I'm concerned, you'd have to ask Mick Garris or Rodney Charters which is the correct AR. Posted Image

EDIT 2: Mick Garris gives the OK on the widescreen Psycho IV. Check out KeithJP's post here:
http://www.hometheat....08&postcount=4

#13 of 15 Robert Floto

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted August 17 2007 - 10:24 AM

Still no word of an individual release?
Movies I would purchase instantly if they were available in their correct aspect ratio:
Death Trap, Innocent Blood, The Shadow, and Remo Williams

#14 of 15 SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,427 posts

Posted August 17 2007 - 02:32 PM

Too bad they didn't throw in the "Bates Motel" pilot and the Amazing Stories episode, (where a young movie-addict gets trapped inside the original film) as extras. Posted Image
Believe it or not, there was a music video made for Pyscho III.

#15 of 15 Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted August 17 2007 - 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWook
Too bad they didn't throw in the "Bates Motel" pilot and the Amazing Stories episode, (where a young movie-addict gets trapped inside the original film) as extras. Posted Image
That's actually a good thing, because they were both worse than Psycho III. Posted Image

Don't forget to watch Anthony Perkins on the Season 1 set of Saturday Night Live, when he hosted the show in 1976 and did a fake TV commercial parody of Psycho in the Bates role advertising the hotel! Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow