What's new

BenQ PE8720 or Vidikron 30? (1 Viewer)

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
My basic situation is I would love the new JVC, but don't want to jump into a 5 grand purchase as of now......so I am looking for a "bridge" projector to hold me over for a year or so. I currently have a Mits HC3000, which I do really like...but would love a midge better blacks and any overall improvement in PQ. I do love the sharp pic the Mits puts out, which is important. At times though it seems a tad bit noisey (image, not sound) more so than the better DLPs.

I was convinced that the route I wanted to go for a merger cost was the BenQ PE8720.....that was until a dealer (that I've used in the past) suggested a Vidikron 30 he had with 6 hours on it....the cost for that unit is about $500 more than the BenQ. From my readings, both will put out terrific saturated colors...which would stand out in terms of black level, sharpness and with a nice
3-D pop to the image? One would assume Vidikron/Runco would stand out on top?

Anyone's input is greatly appreciated

Ron

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Runco/Vidikron usually have better optics and an upgraded processor. their guts ... in this case ... might still be the very same BenQ.

Regards

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Thanks Michael...Since I'm using an outside processor (DVDO VP50) that's not as important...optics...yes, that would matter. What I am finding is most of the hobbyist sites don't buy Vidikron products (or Runco for that matter)...at least there is little discussion on their units. I think we as hobbyist are directed towards finding the bang for the buck and want to tweak away to eeeek out the performance to match the better projectors and save the cash for the next upgrade.

Ron

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

That would about cover it. The Vidikrons and the Runcos are top notch products for people with lots of money to spend and the stores that support those people with exceptional service. You buy these brands for their service and support as much as the product itself.

I do many Runco calibrations but most are for installers where the clients don't have the time to be enthusiasts ... their time is worth far more $$ than ours.

Regards

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Anthony:

I had the sharp for a couple of evenings. I never could get it dialed in to look as good as the Mits 3000 that I currently own. I was pleased with the shadow detail, but most other aspects I found a step down or neutral vs the Mits. When you combine the fan noise, it was easy to stick with my current PJ.

Part of the reason for looking at the BenQ was side by side comparisons to the Mits and most recently to the BenQ's 1080P projectors. In the case of he Mits, it was consistently better particularly in the area of black levels. Compared to it's 1080P brother, it held it's own...in most cases they called in a draw with a slight edge to the 1080 unit.

Anthony Cler

Stunt Coordinator
Good to know. I'll be getting the Sharp today and will take a good look. I'm planning to keep it, but thankfully Costco has a good return policy.

Aside from the potential fan noise issue, the Sharp would work well for me setup wise.

Have you found a good deal on the BenQ?

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I found a refurb unit through ebay/national consolidators...I know, I know...but did the research and NC is part of refurbelectronics.com. They are authorized to sell BenQ refurb/recertified, which I confirmed with a Claire at BenQ's corprorate office. Also, the projectors are shipped directly from BenQ and carry a 90 day BenQ warranty. I am also looking at an AVS powerbuy for 3 yr extended proj and lamp warranty for $260.

On a side note, I exchanged emails with a Benq dealer who said that most recertified projectors from BenQ fall into the category of being sent in for software updates or lamp failure....of course, there are always exceptions.

I also exchanged an email with one ebayer that got his unit and reported at this very early stage that it worked fine and looked new. He also confirmed it was dropped shipped from BenQ. The second person that I contacted hadn't received his yet.

The cost via ground shipping was $2,019. Plus, whatever warranty route I want to add....Ebay Square Trade ($200), Refurbelectronics.com ($300) or Texas Tape Texas ($260).

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks