What's new

Question: Spaced - R1? (1 Viewer)

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know which company would be the appropriate one to write to regarding the R1 release of the British comedy SPACED? I just saw Hot Fuzz last night, and I'd love to watch this series without having to buy a region-free player or pay the prices on Amazon for an R2 set. I'm thinking WB since they do a lot of BBC titles, but not sure. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Roger_R

Second Unit
Well... BBC licenced Black Books in R1, which was shown on the same channel in the UK as Spaced, and released it through WB. I'd guess that WB and/or BBC America would be the ones you need to mail.

There's a lot of music in Spaced so music clearances would definitely become an issue in releasing it in R1. Maybe that's why it hasn't seen a release yet.

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Roger! I hadn't thought about the dreaded music clearance issue (which probably explains how the music-free Nick Frost's Danger! 50,000 Volts! made it to R1 before Spaced).

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Don't contact Warner, they just distribute BBCAmerica's stuff, contact bbcamerica.com but also try A&E, Anchor Bay, Shout Factory, S'more Entertainment and BCI in your quest to get this released in the US through licensing.

It may be possible that the creators of Spaced thought ahead for the DVD release, it may not as well, but one can hope.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
speaking of Nick Frost's 50000 Volts... I'm still waiting for the follow-up series release on DVD. *sigh*

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
There's a "Paramount UK" vanity card at the end of the episodes I've got on the DVR, so I doubt it would hurt to talk to CBS-Paramount.

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the suggestions! I may even attempt to slide this question by at the WB chat next week, just to make sure WB is not a possibility. Does bbc america still show the series? I may have a friend who has satellite DVR it the next time it airs.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

I thought I saw it in my Dish listings earlier in the week.

You'll proably be better off just going with a cheap multi-region player (most Philips decks are hackable with a remote control number sequence and the players can be had for $50 or less), then voila, you have a DVD player that will play anything, and you won't have to worry about a). waiting or an R1 or b). possible disappointment if the R1 has music/editing changes for stuff that's hard to get clearances for in the States...

The Definitive Collector's Edition, which contains all the episodes, will only set you back about US$18 plus shipping from AmazonUK. Even if this did get a US release, you could probably only expect the first series (only) to start with, and if it comes through BBC Video, would probably retail for $25-30 for just the one series.

ScottLloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a cheap regionless DVD player just for this show. Got it for $35 and picked up the three-disc set of Spaced for less than $20 at CDWow. It was worth it.

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator

It's amazing: the price of a regionless DVD player is cheaper than two drinks and two popcorns at a movie theater. Who'da thunk int? I'll probably go this route then. It sounds like it's going to be a nightmare just to find the company that would be in charge of an R1 release, and as others have said, there's that hovering specter of music clearance issues.

ScottLloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I've also found that every portable DVD player I've ever owned played all regions. If you have one you could try that.

They were Pioneer, Polaroid and Mintek.

I've picked up several music DVDs of bands that are bigger in the UK. Also the UK "Shaun of the Dead" has more commentaries and a few different extras. It was $6.95 when I bought it from CD WOW.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Wasn't is also available in the UK long before it ever came out on DVD in the US? The same may be true of Hot Fuzz. The R2-PAL disc of that is supposed to hit this summer - June or July, can't remember - it's already up for preorder. As it just came out in cinemas in the US, I can't imagine it being out that quickly in R1 land.

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I do have a portable DVD player: A Toshiba. Do I just buy the R2 disc and try it or is there a way to test it out beforehand?

Andy, I heard a rumor that "Hot Fuzz" was supposed to be released in R1 DVD in July. Seems really quick, until I remember that the R1 "Shaun of the Dead" dvd came out exactly three months after it started playing in U.S. theaters. They may also be trying to time it for San Diego Comic-Con in July, as well. At least that's what tvshowsondvd.com was reporting about the "Secrets of Isis" set coming in July.

Roger_R

Second Unit
It doesn't look like it. The R2 release has a single tune replaced as well. Fortunately it's one of those you're not gonna notice unless you have a recording of the original broadcast.

The weird thing is that the tune is on the soundtrack CD.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
In a podcast of an interview with Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg from Creative Screenwriting, Wright specifically mentioned that Spaced on DVD in the US is probably the #1 question they get. He also said that several companies here are interested in putting the set out and he has even taken to calling the show's producers and asking what the hold up is (which is music clearances, in case you doubted it).

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
Well, according to the WB chat, they have no plans to release Spaced. Thanks again to the person who asked that question. Looks like I'll be investing in a region free player then or rooting for those other companies to come through.

ScottLloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Saw the same news about Warner Bros. not planning on putting Spaced out.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7285

As far as the Toshiba portable, I'd say try out a R2 dvd if anyone you know has one and you'll have an answer.

A co-worker may have a Toshiba. I'll ask him and try the disc in his player.

I also noticed that the three disc edition of Spaced is now around $55 at CDWow. I shoulda bought 50 of 'em!

Shaun did come out on DVD earlier in the UK. I plan on seeing Hot Fuzz Thursday night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks