Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

DVI to HDMI

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Deadhorse

Deadhorse

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted May 01 2007 - 06:09 AM

My cable box does not have a HDMI out but it does have a DVI out and I just noticed that you can get DVI to HDMI cables.

My question is would you loose the HDMI quality with this cable or do you never actually have it because the signal is coming out of the DVI port?

#2 of 9 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted May 01 2007 - 07:03 AM

The only thing you really lose, is the ability to send audio with the video, on the same cable. DVI is video only.
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#3 of 9 JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted May 01 2007 - 07:12 AM

It depends on what you expect out of HDMI output.

Deep Color?
YPbPr Color Spaces?
PCM, dts Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD, dsd?
Automatic lipsync compensation?

If all you want or need is a high resolution, digital RGB signal, DVI (with the appropriate dongle) will provide that. Hook up the toslink/coax for audio and you'll be all set. Honestly, it's just a cable box...

#4 of 9 joseph westcott

joseph westcott

Second Unit

• 355 posts

Posted May 01 2007 - 11:56 AM

If it is a long run, it may be more cost effective in the long run to purchase an HDMI cable and use dongles on each end to DVI. HDMI will eventually become mandatory for HDCP compliance for digital video and audio. You will have to be the judge to see if it will save you money in the long run or make it easier to switch over because of possible installation challenges.

#5 of 9 David Noll

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted May 02 2007 - 01:19 AM

Same subject but different direction:

My cable box, DVI out To DVI in on Runco Processor, bit the dust. Cable company replaced with cable box with only HDMI out. Used a HDMI To DVI cable. Locked up the cable box. Cable company said current must be back-feeding to the box. Installed a cable box with DVI out and everything is fine. Does this make sense?

David

#6 of 9 joseph westcott

joseph westcott

Second Unit

• 355 posts

Posted May 02 2007 - 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Noll
Same subject but different direction:

My cable box, DVI out To DVI in on Runco Processor, bit the dust. Cable company replaced with cable box with only HDMI out. Used a HDMI To DVI cable. Locked up the cable box. Cable company said current must be back-feeding to the box. Installed a cable box with DVI out and everything is fine. Does this make sense?

David

I am not sure what the problem is but if I had to guess it would be that you are using a Magnavox cable box and having HDMIHDCP handshaking problems.

Tell me if my guess is wrong.

#7 of 9 David Noll

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted May 02 2007 - 01:37 AM

Actually a Motorola box. All three boxes I had/have are Motorola's. I was told HDMI/DVI handshaking problems.

David

#8 of 9 joseph westcott

joseph westcott

Second Unit

• 355 posts

Posted May 02 2007 - 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Noll
Actually a Motorola box. All three boxes I had/have are Motorola's. I was told HDMI/DVI handshaking problems.

David

Oops. I did say Mangnavox. I meant Motorola.

At least it started with an "M".

I guess you can tell I own neither but I have heard similar complaints with the Motorolas.

#9 of 9 ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted May 03 2007 - 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhorse
My cable box does not have a HDMI out but it does have a DVI out and I just noticed that you can get DVI to HDMI cables.

My question is would you loose the HDMI quality with this cable or do you never actually have it because the signal is coming out of the DVI port?

It depends on the device. DVI inputs/outputs can behave like HDMI ins/outs in terms of video if they want to, but not very many devices are like this. If not, then you will be "limited" to 8-bit RGB. This isn't really a limitation though, since it's plenty capable and assuming the cable box isn't doing any processing that higher bit depths could be used in advantageous ways, you'll be fine.

Forum Nav Content I Follow