Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Lucy Show DVD Box Sets?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
93 replies to this topic

#1 of 94 OFFLINE   Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael

Second Unit

• 448 posts

Posted April 30 2007 - 07:41 PM

OK Guys! Has anyone compared the video quality, running time, etc. of these two Lucy Show Box sets?

Best of Lucy and Friends
[4 Discs] Mill Creek Entertainment
UPC: 683904505590
Release Date: 04/10/2007

The Lucy Show
[3 Discs] Platinum/St Clair Entertainment
UPC: 777966884196
Release Date: 11/02/2004

#2 of 94 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted April 30 2007 - 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas_Michael
OK Guys! Has anyone compared the video quality, running time, etc. of these two Lucy Show Box sets?
No need to and here's why:

Quote:
The Lucy Show
[3 Discs] Platinum/St Clair Entertainment
UPC: 777966884196
Release Date: 11/02/2004
I bought this set for a friend, and if it's the one I think it is with 30 episodes made between 1962 and 1967 (or 68), it was a public domain set for $10.

Quote:
Best of Lucy and Friends
[4 Discs] Mill Creek Entertainment
UPC: 683904505590
Release Date: 04/10/2007
Another in a long series of public domain releases with crappy film prints. I don't even have to see these to know that. Posted Image It's 15 hours+ which means it has to have the same 30 episodes as the Platinum release and no doubt other releases.

Even Here's Lucy had a re-mastered edition come out with selected episodes. I'm not sure why The Lucy Show hasn't gotten the respect it deserves, but it's the best of all of the Lucille Ball TV series.

#3 of 94 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,908 posts

Posted May 01 2007 - 12:29 AM

You mean the best after the split with Desi! There's a reason why I Love Lucy has never been off the air in either its original CBS airings or in reruns since 1951!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#4 of 94 OFFLINE   Robert13

Robert13

Second Unit

• 488 posts

Posted May 01 2007 - 01:37 AM

Yeah, we're all hoping The Lucy Show will see a remastered Season 1 box-set to follow on the heels of the very successful ILL box-sets. I'm afraid any of the budget sets available are of subpar quality.

#5 of 94 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted May 01 2007 - 01:48 AM

There's a discussion of the St. Clair Entertainment release of "The Lucy Show" here:

http://www.hometheat....=The Lucy Show

I’d guess that Paramount might eventually release season sets of “The Lucy Show,” particularly the black & white episodes since only two of the 30 episodes in the public domain are from the show’s black & white era. When Paramount released season three of “The Andy Griffith Show,” they did so knowing full well that half of that season (16 episodes) had been making the rounds on numerous public domain releases of TAGS.

#6 of 94 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted May 01 2007 - 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Ellis
You mean the best after the split with Desi! There's a reason why I Love Lucy has never been off the air in either its original CBS airings or in reruns since 1951!
The Lucy Show was the best of all of Ms. Ball's sitcoms, because she was a single woman raising two kids. Why they got rid of the kids after a few years when Viv and her boy left is anybody's guess.

#7 of 94 OFFLINE   Larry.P

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted May 01 2007 - 08:09 AM

I think it's time for a letter writing campaign. The "I Love Lucy" sets were wonderful and we are now hoping to see "The Lucy Show" treated with the same care. And of course we want Tom Watson involved.

#8 of 94 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted May 01 2007 - 12:22 PM

As stated elsewhere, it's doubtful that "The Lucy Show" will sell as well as "I Love Lucy," because there are many people who loved "I Love Lucy" but didn't like (or even hated) "The Lucy Show," whereas I doubt there are many people who loved "The Lucy Show" but didn't like "I Love Lucy."

There are some Lucy fans to whom the mere mention of the words "Mr. Mooney" provokes a violent response. (I'm not one of them, by the way -- but I know a few!)

#9 of 94 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted May 01 2007 - 12:35 PM

I Love Lucy has been oversaturated in the video market. A lot of fans of that series and the limited number of Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour specials who make up the generations younger than us might have never had the opportunity to see The Lucy Show. So if CBS Video / Paramount were to give Ball's second series the royal treatment too, it could very well outsell what preceded it. Vivian Vance's participation in the 1960s series is a plus. The fact that it's in color from the second season on gives it even wider appeal considering that a lot of kids today don't care for black & white. They should press discs and release the first & second season sets of The Lucy Show at the same time. It was the 2nd year that introduced Theodore J. Mooney as the vice-president of Lucy Carmichael's bank.

As for Gale Gordon, he made his TV (and radio) marks in the "Our Miss Brooks" sitcom playing Osgood Conkin. Mp3s of the CBS radio show (which outlived the TV version by a year) are free to download and for new audiences to enjoy. On both I Love Lucy and Here's Lucy, Gordon made a perfect blustery comic foil for Lucille Ball just as he previously had for Eve Arden.

#10 of 94 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted May 01 2007 - 02:15 PM

I enjoy THE LUCY SHOW (and Mr. Mooney), but I can't agree that it was better than I LOVE LUCY or that it will outsell it.

ILL is an iconic TV show and continues to be merchandised not only on video but other memorabilla as well. I don't see how it can be called oversaturated when it is still so popular and new generations of fans are discovering it all the time.

THE LUCY SHOW was quite successful in its day, but unlike the timelessness of ILL it does come across as somewhat dated which will probably limit its fan appeal. The lack of success in syndication in recent years demonstrates the problems it has with maintaining a deep fan base.

The HERE'S LUCY box set of last year apparently didn't do well despite the efforts of the Arnaz family and Paul Brownstein to produce a first rate collection. I don't see how that can be anything but bad news for the prospects of THE LUCY SHOW.

Gale Gordon was a great comic in my book. In addition to Mooney, I enjoyed his incarnation as Mr. Wilson #2 on DENNIS THE MENACE. It's a shame that he doesn't get the recognition today that he should in my opinion.

Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#11 of 94 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted May 01 2007 - 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve...O
THE LUCY SHOW was quite successful in its day, but unlike the timelessness of ILL it does come across as somewhat dated which will probably limit its fan appeal. The lack of success in syndication in recent years demonstrates the problems it has with maintaining a deep fan base.
There's no way a show from the 1960s is going to be more dated than something from the 1950s. Posted Image Fashions, women's hairstyles, music, automotive design...You name it improved dramatically in the 1960s.

I Love Lucy is a classic which has absolutely had run its course too many times over on VHS and DVD. But The Lucy Show is also a classic, and it deserves much more respect than it's gotten. (Actually I wouldn't buy any of her series on DVD for my own collection, but that's besides the point because I enjoyed Lucy's antics in ALL of her shows).

The only reason that Lucy Show & Here's Lucy didn't play more in syndication and cable over the years is because the public is infatuated with the original series with Ricky and the Mertzes. One thing about that show that really annoyed me is that Lucy whined considerably more than in her later series. All that crying "Ohhhhhh, Ricky!" is like fingernails on a blackboard. It was much more satisfying to see Lucy's characters as independent single women trying to make ends meet than trying to mislead and / or rely on a spouse. Besides...there are too many other people in the woman's life whom she has to mislead. Posted Image "I Love Lucy" was already dated in a way in 1951, because Ms. Ball had already played a similar character (Liz Cooper) on the radio series "My Favorite Husband" for 3 years.

Quote:
The HERE'S LUCY box set of last year apparently didn't do well despite the efforts of the Arnaz family and Paul Brownstein to produce a first rate collection. I don't see how that can be anything but bad news for the prospects of THE LUCY SHOW.
If Here's Lucy had been released season by season, it would have been a huge success on DVD. People are tired of "Best Of" compilations. I know I am. Posted Image

Quote:
Gale Gordon was a great comic in my book. In addition to Mooney, I enjoyed his incarnation as Mr. Wilson #2 on DENNIS THE MENACE. It's a shame that he doesn't get the recognition today that he should in my opinion.
On that we agree, Steve O. Posted Image

#12 of 94 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted May 01 2007 - 04:15 PM

Quote:
There's no way a show from the 1960s is going to be more dated than something from the 1950s. Posted Image Fashions, women's hairstyles, music, automotive design...You name it improved dramatically in the 1960s.

I Love Lucy is a classic which has absolutely had run its course too many times over on VHS and DVD. But The Lucy Show is also a classic, and it deserves much more respect than it's gotten. (Actually I wouldn't buy any of her series on DVD for my own collection, but that's besides the point because I enjoyed Lucy's antics in ALL of her shows).

The only reason that Lucy Show & Here's Lucy didn't play more in syndication and cable over the years is because the public is infatuated with the original series with Ricky and the Mertzes. The one thing about that show that really annoyed me is that Lucy whined considerably more than in her later series. All that crying "Ohhhhhh, Ricky!" is like fingernails on a blackboard.

Also, Desi's thick Cuban accent is hard to take after a while. Although his singing is sometimes enjoyable, he was never much of an actor. He just played off of his wife. It was much more satisfying to see Lucy's characters as independent single women trying to make ends meet than trying to mislead and / or rely on a spouse. "I Love Lucy" was already dated in a way in 1951, because Ms. Ball had already played a similar character (Liz Cooper) on the radio series "My Favorite Husband" for 3 years.

Quote:
If Here's Lucy had been released season by season, it would have been a huge success on DVD. People are tired of "Best Of" compilations. I know I am. Posted Image

Quote:
On that we agree, Steve O. Posted Image

#13 of 94 OFFLINE   Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael

Second Unit

• 448 posts

Posted May 01 2007 - 06:16 PM

CAN ANYONE JUST ANSWER THE ORIGINAL QUESTION...

PLEASE.Posted Image

#14 of 94 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted May 02 2007 - 12:21 AM

Jeff, your passion for THE LUCY SHOW is commendable. It is going to need many strong advocates such as yourself to make it come to retail and succeed. But, since you said you wouldn't buy it if it came out doesn't that send a signal to CBS/Paramount that if a major fan like you isn't willing to buy it, the general public won't either?
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#15 of 94 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted May 02 2007 - 01:18 AM

Well, as said earlier, Steve, I DID buy one version of the public domain 30 episode set, but that was because it was only $10 and I wanted to see those old shows again for the first time in 20 year+
I then gave it to a friend whose mother is a huge Lucy fan and enjoys all of her work.

My unwillingness to buy any other Lucille Ball shows beyond that doesn't make any difference. I'm just saying that only ONE of her TV series (her first after many years in radio and films) has gotten the respect that her other series also deserve. Nothing we post here will have an impact on Paramount's decision either way. The Lucy Show will get season releases eventually just as BONANZA has (and is in other countries).

#16 of 94 OFFLINE   Robert13

Robert13

Second Unit

• 488 posts

Posted May 02 2007 - 03:37 AM

Quote:

Steve

Really??? I had read that the set sold very well, better than they had expected, and that the reason why they didn't release a follow-up set was that the rights-holder saw the successful sales as a way to capitalize on the copyright license fees. Shout! didn't feel it was a fair price. So they have shelved plans for a second set. I could be wrong but this was posted over at SitcomsOnline's message boards a while ago.

#17 of 94 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted May 02 2007 - 04:07 AM

Are those HERE'S LUCY "rights holders" you mention Desi and Lucie, Jr.?

Wasn't inheriting millions of dollars for just being born enough for them?

In a saner world, there'd have been Season Sets of THE LUCY SHOW and HERE'S LUCY years ago.

#18 of 94 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted May 02 2007 - 05:19 AM

I'm not so sure that "Here's Lucy" did well sales wise. It's being liquidated here for around $10:

http://www.oldies.co...iew/4230GD.html

#19 of 94 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,029 posts

Posted May 02 2007 - 02:50 PM

On the Internet, you can read totally conflicting "facts," always said with absolute certainty. If someone here says A, within minutes someone will respond with Z.

From what I know, HERE'S LUCY did NOT sell well -- and if it had, there would have been a second volume, or season sets.

#20 of 94 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,320 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 02 2007 - 04:22 PM

Perhaps they didn't sell well because those who wanted it would rather have bought season sets.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow