What's new

Books that were made into TV series? (1 Viewer)

Venice-H

Agent
I was thinking about "Freshman Dorm", the books and the TV show, and I was trying to think of other television series that were made from books. I couldn't think of any.

* There are some made from comic books, but I'm not counting those.
* There are many made from movies that were also books, but I'm not counting those either.
* There are TV series that became books later.
* There are many, many silver screen and TV movies that came from books.
* There are some TV specials and miniseries that came from books.

But I can't think of any that went directly from book to TV series.

Make me feel like a fool. Tell me about the dozens of examples I can't think of. :D

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Hmmm. For Starters here's a Couple:

Little House on the Prairie

Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
There's a pilot being made from James Patterson's "Women's Murder Club" series of books (1st To Die, 2nd Chance, 3rd Degree, 4th of July, The 5th Horseman) for ABC starring Angie Harmon.

In 1977, there was a brief series based on David Wallechinsky's (son of bestselling writer Irving Wallace, his son went back to the original pre-Elllis Island surname) hit book What Really Happened To The Class Of '65? on NBC with Tony Bill as the host /narrator.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Kenneth L. Roberts' "Northwest Passage" was first made as a movie in 1940 with Spencer Tracy and later a one season television show by MGM in 1958-59. The TV show starred Keith Larsen and a pre-"Beverly Hillbillies" Buddy Ebsen. A picture of Roberts' book is featured in the opening title sequence.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
There are numerous examples of TV shows from books.

In the mystery field alone you have Perry Mason, Ellery Queen, the Saint, Michael Shayne, Mike Hammer, The Thin Man and that is just on the top of my head.

Wasn't 6 Million Dollar Man based on a book and the related rights are what's holding up a DVD release?

Venice-H

Agent

Well, that didn't take long. I should've remembered those, so one slap upside the head, coming up.

Thanks folks. Keep 'em coming.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
CYBORG, I think, was the 6 Million Dollar Man Book.
Peyton Place
The Untouchables
The Life And Legend Of Wyatt Earp
My World And Welcome Too It (maybe)
Bestsellers ,and all those mini-series.
The Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich (Documentary series based on a book)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Bob, your list (especially "Wyatt Earp") reminded me that "The Adventures of Jim Bowie" was based on the book "The Tempered Blade" by Monte Barrett. Must be that Louis Edelman connection.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Don't forget the new series (just finished up season 1 on Sci-Fi) based on the Jim Butcher novels "The Dresden Files"

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
Sex And The City was based on a book by Candice Bushnell
Dexter is based on a series of books also

Kevin_Lodge

Stunt Coordinator
Dead Zone -- by Stephen King

M*A*S*H -- was originally a novel by Richard Hooker before it was a movie, before it was a book

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
A few more:

Sharpe's Rifles
Jeeves & Wooster
The Flying Nun
The Streets Of San Francisco
Spenser For Hire
77 Sunset Strip (Stu Bailey first appeared in a magazine short story written by Roy Huggins.)
Honey West

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
lol yeah i meant to say kathy lol dont know where keith came from think i put the words kathy and reichs together lol

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
There were also some great Mini-series from books, as well - Roots, The Winds of War, War and Remembrance, Shogun, Rich Man, Poor Man immediately come to mind. I know these were not series, but I thought they were worth mentioning, since many of them lasted for at least 12 weeks.

Now that I think of it didn't they make a series out of the continuing story of Roots?

Katherine_K

Second Unit
Homicide: Life on the Street was based on the book "Homicide: A Year on the Killing Street". NBC made them change the title because it wasn't life affirming enough. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks