What's new

Burke's Law/Honey West (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I received VCI Entertainment's "Video Gazette" sales catalog in yesterday's mail. At the back of the catalog, VCI lists several items that they're preparing for upcoming releases. Included were the following:

Honey West - Original season one premiere

Burke's Law - Original season one premiere

That's all the information that was listed and when I tried to search at VCI's web site, I found nothing. There was no indication as to any release date for either of the above. I'm interpreting the above to mean just a single episode of each, but I could very well be wrong.

Also, for TV westerns fans, VCI listed . . .

Zane Grey Theatre - Original season one premiere

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
This is bizarre as I understand it, FOX owns both shows as part of the Four-Star catalog. Did FOX lease both titles to VCI, or is this a 'grey area' release?

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Charles Ellis said:
This is bizarre as I understand it, FOX owns both shows as part of the Four-Star catalog. Did FOX lease both titles to VCI, or is this a 'grey area' release?
Charles, I have absolutely no idea as to why VCI is involved with these two series other than the possibility that Fox may be licensing out older catalog titles along the lines of what Universal is doing with Shout! Factory (McHale's Navy, Ironside). There is a single episode of Burke's Law ("Who Killed Jason Shaw?") that's been circulating on a few public domain labels like Platinum Disc and Diamond, but that's the only domestic release that I've seen of either of these series.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Hopefully,Bob, all three are full season releases and the catalog descriptions should have read "Original Premiere Season One".

It would be really strange if these are all single episode releases. VCI seems to be going backwards. I have not received the catalog yet, but online I see they are re-releasing collections of Annie Oakley and My Little Margie as Vol 1 and 2 instead of the 12 episode pack.

If would be great if Alpha and VCI would go the full season or at least multi-episode route with their PD releases. Save us the trouble of trying to figure out what's out there from all sources.

Of course, Burke's Law S1 and Honey West S1 can be purchased in Region 2,from amazon.co.uk together for around $84.00 plus postage. I was planning on getting them eventually,but now I will wait to see what VCI is up to.

I am also waiting for Vol 2 from VCI of Craig Kennedy, Criminologist.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Bob Gu said:
If would be great if Alpha and VCI would go the full season or at least multi-episode route with their PD releases. Save us the trouble of trying to figure out what's out there from all sources.
Mill Creek seems to be headed in that direction, e.g., "The Buccaneers," "Sherlock Holmes," "Victory at Sea," etc., etc. I just noticed on their site today that they are offering all 17 PD episodes of "The Lone Ranger" along with an earlier movie serial version of TLR.
As far as BL/HW is concerned, I have set off an e-mail to VCI asking for a little more information on these releases. If they respond, I'll be sure to post here.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Bob Hug said:
As far as BL/HW is concerned, I have set off an e-mail to VCI asking for a little more information on these releases. If they respond, I'll be sure to post here.
Gee, Bob, makes me wonder if I should have bought HW R2 :) Not really, great set. Thanks to Mike_KS for the info on it!

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Well, looks like we have some great news . . . I just received this E-mail message from Penny at VCI . . . .

"Hello,

These three series will be the complete 1st season. Release dates will be in the 4th quarter. We don't have a firm schedule yet.

Thanks"

Note: The third series (not in my thread subject) is "Zane Grey Theatre" . . . don't want to slight fans of this series. Bob

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Interesting about "Honey West"--hope I don't regret my purchase of the UK release which came out last year. Strange business where classic tv on dvd is concerned, one never knows what to expect.

Great news about ZGT, that's another classic western series I can add to the collection, provided some restoration work is going into this.

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Bob Hug said:
Well, looks like we have some great news . . . I just received this E-mail message from Penny at VCI . . . .
"Hello,
These three series will be the complete 1st season. Release dates will be in the 4th quarter. We don't have a firm schedule yet.
Thanks"
Note: The third series (not in my thread subject) is "Zane Grey Theatre" . . . don't want to slight fans of this series. Bob
Great news for classic television lovers! Thanks for posting the result of your email, Bob.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Fantastic news! And I must confess I was worried about the same thing Bob Gu mentioned when I first read the titles. But now that we know these will be entire 1st Season releases, I'm pleased as punch! All three will be must buys.
Gary "I think Honey West is the one I'm most looking forward to of the three mentioned" O.

Tom.W

Second Unit
Add my thanks to this good news, Bob. I picked up the R2 release of BL/HW and happy with what I've watched till now (although I've only scratched the surface). Really looking forward to Zane Grey, which has had very limited exposure since it's initial run. Lots of good guest stars in an anthology type western. It's good to hear that VCI is taking an aggressive approach with more of these classics. I'll be checking out their site more now.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
It's nice that both VCI and Mill Creek have responsive customer service reps answering e-mail questions. It too bad the folks writing catalog descriptions and keeping the websites up-to-date, have either incomplete information or no information.

I always thought of VCI as a fan run company and it's great that they are getting into complete season releases. The 4th quarter seems like a long way off, so I hope nothing goes wrong,with these,I gather, licenced releases

ZANE GREY THEATER was also a Four Star show. I was reading over the guest star list: Robert Ryan,Jack Palance,Sterling Hayden,Jack Lemmon,Mary Astor,David Niven...well too many stars to list, in addtition to the usual character actors, Jack Elam,Strother Martin, etc.,and the host, and one of the Four Stars, Dick Powell (who also played Amos Burke in the BURKE'S LAW pilot.) ZGT S1 also includes the TRACKDOWN pilot, starring Robert Culp.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Great news! Thanks for letting us know. I've been tempted to buy "Honey West" R2, but will wait. I'll probably buy "Burke's Law," too. That was sort of like the Love Boat in its day. Lots of fun guest stars. I know my favorite, Elizabeth Montgomery, appeared on it twice during the first season -- one year prior to starting "Bewitched."

Hopefully, we won't have to wait too long since they've already been transferred to disc for R2.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I really hope that this is the start of the major studios taking a more serious look at licensing the older, vintage titles to the independents. I see a good trend here . . . the three Four Star/Fox shows mentioned in this thread being licensed to VCI, and Universal licensing "McHale's Navy" and "Ironside" to Shout! Factory and "Banacek" to Hart Sharp.

It would be great to see Warner license their classic westerns and detective shows from the late 50s/early 60s, MGM with the ZIV catalog, and Sony with "Route 66," "Father Knows Best," etc., etc. Paramount is the only major studio that I'm not too worried about, save the split season trend; they've done the best in demonstrating their growing commitment to classic TV.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately Warner isn't into licensing out to other studio, unlike Universal and Fox have in the past. However, there's still no explanation as to how VCI got the rights to these Four-Star shows: were they leased by Fox, or did a third party own these shows all along, outside Fox's control?

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Charles Ellis said:
, there's still no explanation as to how VCI got the rights to these Four-Star shows: were they leased by Fox, or did a third party own these shows all along, outside Fox's control?
Though I can't be entirely certain, I'd bet that they're licensed from Fox. The Wikipedia entry shows that Four Star is owned by News Corporation, the parent of Fox. I guess a similar question could be asked as to whether or not "The Rifleman" was licensed to MPI by Fox. Again, I'd assume that was the case, but who knows? One thing is for certain . . . Fox's only release of a Four Star Production, "The Big Valley," was in color while all of these other series are black & white, suggesting that Fox might be a little skittish when it comes to releasing b&w series on their own (save a few seasons of "guaranteed winners" from the Irwin Allen stable).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Star_Television

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm... maybe there's hope that Peyton Place (which is half B/W), and Adventures In Paradise (all B/W) may see the light of day soon through a leasing agreement with another company.......

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
I'm impressed! Based on the recent news I ordered a copy of VCI's catalog yesterday, and it arrived today! Pretty fast "snail mail".

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
VCI is one of the good independent companies, and they have a great reputation among collecters of B-westerns of the 1930s through 1950s. Though not extensive, they have a nice catalog of classic TV-on-DVD titles, including the largest collections of "My Little Margie" and "I Married Joan" on commecially available DVDs, and carry some oddball TV titles like "Fractured Flickers" and "The Littlest Hobo." They're a little pricey if you order direct from them, but their titles can be found for less at most all of the usual online stores; however, they're not the easiest to find at brick & mortar stores.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I guess a similar question could be asked as to whether or not "The Rifleman" was licensed to MPI by Fox.
I think the thread below (see last post) implies that Levy-Gardner-Laven still owns the series outright. IIRC, the MPI videos and DVDs and the old NuVentures tapes credit L-G-L as the licensor, with no Fox logo or any type of acknowledgement of a major studio as the owner.
While the lack of a syndicator's fanfare/logo at the end of a show may not be telling, I take it to mean--regarding The Rifleman reruns now on the Westerns channel--that L-G-L owns them but has no syndicator fanfare.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...fleman+mpi+dvd
Great news in your first post above, Bob. VCI has gotten my money (via DDD) for some of their Kit Parker films, and I plan to buy all three of these series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks