Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HDTV on PC

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   DennisPCJr

DennisPCJr

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted April 23 2007 - 03:45 PM

Is anyone making a HDTV pc tuner card where i can plug my hd cable box into it? I see ati making cards but one is just for a direct plug in to your antenna or whatever . The other is an ati cable box. I cant use either as id expect most people cant. If you have hdtv on cable or satalight you need something with hd plugins on it. Is anyone working on this? With the standard for hd coming up the next few years and tvs only coming in HD now i was surprised nothings avalaible.
thanks

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted April 24 2007 - 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisPCJr
Is anyone making a HDTV pc tuner card where i can plug my hd cable box into it? I see ati making cards but one is just for a direct plug in to your antenna or whatever . The other is an ati cable box. I cant use either as id expect most people cant. If you have hdtv on cable or satalight you need something with hd plugins on it. Is anyone working on this? With the standard for hd coming up the next few years and tvs only coming in HD now i was surprised nothings avalaible.
thanks
I don't think this will happen for quite a while, if ever. The current HDTV tuners can only accept unencrypted signals, like the ones you get over-the-antenna. I don't think this is going to change, because every TV station wants their content to be protected, and that all goes out the window once people are allowed to start recording shows on their computers, unless a fool-proof encryption method is found...but there's nothing fool-proof when you're talking about computer code created by humans.