What's new

Magnolia brings the Host to HD/BR on 7/24 (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Probably BD as well, given how format-agnostic Cuban's companies are in general.

Cool to see Magnolia putting things that are a little off the beaten path on the HD formats. Hopefully they'll also do this for Tears of the Black Tiger, whose visuals scream for it.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
'The Host' is one of the better giant monster films to hit the market in years, Effects are very good, and a pretty funny film to boot.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The Host is a treat. Black Tiger is probably much more of an acquired taste, but all that's required to enjoy The Host is a love of monster movies and a tolerance for subtitles.

Winman42

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Winston
Excellent film, well worth the purchase. Nice horror content, but also a nice commmentary on society. And when was the last time you saw a monster film where the monster was revealed right away, and in broad daylight?

Win

TommyJD

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking forward to this release.Glad we are getting an official US release.Was'nt sure what foreign version to get and what was bootleg and what was'nt.Looks like it's a great monster flick.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I might do a blind buy after I read some A/V reviews (not familiar with Magnolia releases).

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tony
I'm really looking forward to picking this up when it comes out.
I had been reading about this movie for months on Aint It Cool News.
A couple of months ago I came upon a good quality bootleg of this
movie. I'm ashamed to say I bought it. It was $10 and I kind of doubted
it would get released here in the states so...
I loved it! It's Jaws meet Jurassic Park. I even went and saw it in the theater again when it was released to make up for buying the bootleg.
Now I can't wait to get the Blu-Ray. Check it out if you want a good popcorn
monster movie.:)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I purchased a copy of the SD DVD Host (2 disk set) from exploitedcinema.com a month or two ago and the quality of this SD was very good. Magnolia has done a fine job on their current High Def releases so I have high hopes for this one. I only hope they have the original South Korean audio available.

Tim, here is something to wet your appetite.

Adam_R

Second Unit
I found The Host to be a really wonderful film on so many levels.

The direction and cinematography is really great.

The acting is also enjoyable with humor and some very emotional scenes too.

Of course the monster and action sequences are top notch.

One of the most unique films in recent memory.

I will certainly be picking this up in HD.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
The version I have is not. But trust me on this, even if you do not like foreign language films, this movie is so engrossing and entertaining you will forget you are reading subtitles after a while. In fact the hardest parts to watch are the couple of small scenes where they have the US army speaking english.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Magnolia has just announced that a BD version will also be available on the release of the SD and HD version. This is good news for the BD camp as they will now have the ability to watch this very good Monster flick.

To the admins, can this post title be changed to add Blu-ray to the title?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On the release listings we maintain in this area of the forum, I had this title listed for a 07-24-07 release date on both formats for weeks now.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks