What's new

HD/BD Catalog title predictions for Q3/Q4 (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it's just me but I’m a little tired of reading the endless analytical discussions about the format war which just go around and around in circles. I don’t know about anybody else but I didn’t buy into this format(s) so I could review sales figures :confused: , read PR spin :thumbsdown: , strategize the next moves by the BDA or HD Group :crazy: and cheerlead for my format of choice. :P What gets me excited is CONTENT! :D
ASO, The Shining, Clockwork Orange)[/SIZE]

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
these have been more or less confirmed in chats or from insiders, though remain unannounced for now

Warner
Deliverance
Cool Hand Luke
LA Confidential
The Shinning
Clockwork Orange
2001: A Space Odyessy
Dirty Harry series
Poltergiest
Blade Runner
Bonnie & Clyde(?)

Paramount
Chinatown
The Jack Ryan series
Star Trek (in some form or fashion)
possibly Top Gun (but most likely '08)

I'm holding out hope that we will also see the following at some point in 07

Contact (anniversary)
Ben-Hur
Wizard Of Oz
Flash Gordon (to tie in with the new SE DVD release in Aug)
Some kind of Hitchcock presence by Universal seems a good bet, with Vertigo or Pyscho seeming to be the most likely choices

I would think 2008 would be more likely for the Exorcist (anniversary release)

I would be surprised to see Apocolypse Now release this soon...and especially if they released both versions. Maybe someone can convice the DP that with the ubiquity of 16:9 displays now, that there is no need whatsoever to crop the film anymore, but of course you would need a newer master anyway which I don't see happening anytime soon.

For a wildcard release, I would love to see Outland.

I would also love to see Anchor Bay release Halloween, Dawn Of The Dead, etc But I think 2007 might be too early. I do agree they would most likely release first on HD DVD given the cost of production/replication, etc

Ali B

Second Unit
Assuming the Leone titles hit Blu-Ray (and actually sell) I think we could Once Upon a Time in the West from Paramount before the end of the year, but it does rest on the more popular Leone titles coming out first. That is very wishful thinking on my part, and looking over those lists just makes me realise how truly stupid this war is (but enough of that talk here!)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Good catch, :emoji_thumbsup: I forgot about LA Confidential, Contact and The Jack Ryan series which I'd be surpised if they didn't get a release this year.

Chinatown, OUATITW and Outland would be fantastic though my hopes are slim.

I'll admit my Criterion and Anchor Bay speculations are way optimistic but you never know. ;)

So only 3 other people in the HD Software area are interested in upcoming catalog titles?! :eek:

Cheap Chinese HD players from Hillbilly World Walmart and Amazon sales figures are more intersting? :laugh: That's sad.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
PotC: AWE is coming out Dec. (Possible box set of all 3?)

And considering the marketing thus far I would expect Finding Nemo before The Incredibles.

Rob Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Isn't The Shawshank Redemption supposed to be out this year?

I'm hoping those Hitchcock titles rumoured get released and would love North by Northwest to be out.

A title I would LOVE to see released would be Grosse Pointe Blank especially since the dvd is old and non-anamorphic. That movie is awesome.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Warner confirmed a 2008 or even 09 for North by Northwest saying it needed some work. We need some Universal Hitchcocks for sure.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't pass up Finding Nemo if it gets released.

I think Warner stated in the last chat that they were re-doing the HD transfer for NBNW and it was expected in 08 or 09 can't remember which.

Edit - Tim beat me to it.

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
I'd love it if Criterion jumped in, but I bet we see a Universal release of Brazil before we do. And Seven Samurai looks great on the HD A1. So does Brazil really. But I guess I would purchase again. LOL

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

Actually, the Jack Ryan movies and Chinatown are said to be a 'lock' for this year (Q4, I presume). This comes from a Paramount insider on another forum.
This same person says that Team America is still not on the radar (though it is highly prominent in Paramounts pre feature trailers).

I wish we were getting Grease from them soon, as it was on the initial HD DVD release lists, but it doesn't look like that will be the case, and since its 30th ann is next year, seems like thats a stronger guess.

Braveheart should be showing up this year (though it wasn't mentioned by the aforementioned insider).

Another title I forgot but was mentioned as being in the pipe is Cat People (Schrader/Kinski) from Universal- which I guess will show up in Sept/Oct.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
That is great news about Chinatown. :emoji_thumbsup: Can't have enough classic 70's cinema on HD. Any rumors floating around about Taxi Driver or The Conversation? The Godfather films would probably be too much to ask this early in the game but man oh man the thought gets me drooling.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Wonderful to hear about the Jack Ryan films. Although I will easily pass on the Affleck pic. ;)

Red October remains one of my favorite films and having it on HD would be awesome.

DanR

Supporting Actor
I was specifically told Braveheart is not happening this year. Though at the same time, another movie in a similar genre which was previously not on the schedule is now "possible".

Let's just hope they go with the 24 bit lossless for that one if it comes to pass. ;)

Regards,
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks