Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Walmart orders 2 million $299 HD DVD players, in stores soon!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 of 70 Pete T C

Pete T C

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted April 20 2007 - 02:14 AM

http://www.engadget.....er-on-the-way/

$299 WalMart HD DVD player, looks like a serious committal from Wally World!
For every shadow, no matter how deep, is threatened by morning light.

#2 of 70 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,541 posts

Posted April 20 2007 - 02:35 AM

I'd read the update before any celebration. There is now confusion as to whether they meant HD DVD or Blu-ray. Some kind of confusion in translation.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#3 of 70 Romar Armas

Romar Armas

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted April 20 2007 - 02:38 AM

The update says Blu Ray HD DVD players. So dual format players for $300?
DVD Collection
Xbox Live Gamertag: GunnerXXX
PS3 Online: GunnerX

#4 of 70 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,693 posts

Posted April 20 2007 - 02:52 AM

Since HD-DVD is the format that has brought in Chinese manufacturers, I'm going to guess that the original translation is correct and these are HD-DVD players being discussed, and the "Blu" thing simply refers to the HD-DVD players use blue lasers just like the BD format.

Vincent

#5 of 70 BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted April 20 2007 - 03:06 AM

Will these cheap Chinese players be able to play Fox, Disney/Buena Vista, Lionsgate, MGM/UA & Sony Pictures movies?

#6 of 70 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted April 20 2007 - 03:29 AM

Id rather pony up the extra $50 for a Tosh player! Report says last of order should ship before the end of 2008, that narrows it down. News flash! HD and BD players will be cheaper in a year and a half!
I am still one of the fence sitters. But i can see me getting both HD and BD (if needed) when name brand players are in the 3 to 400 dollar price range.

#7 of 70 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted April 20 2007 - 03:31 AM

Not right away, obviously. But if Wal-Mart does manage to get a whole bunch of HD DVD players into homes, the non-Sony companies will probably re-evaluate their stance.

Of course, the same holds true for Universal and The Weinstein Company if a $300 BD player comes out, though we haven't heard much talk about those.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#8 of 70 Manus

Manus

Second Unit

• 410 posts

Posted April 20 2007 - 03:50 AM

" Will these cheap Chinese players be able to play Fox, Disney/Buena Vista, Lionsgate, MGM/UA & Sony Pictures movies? "

Fortunately not Posted Image They have in-built quality control and do not support studios who buy into a clearly unfinished format before it works Posted Image

~M~
I have just two words to say to you..... Shut the f*** up !

#9 of 70 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,693 posts

Posted April 20 2007 - 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettB
Will these cheap Chinese players be able to play Fox, Disney/Buena Vista, Lionsgate, MGM/UA & Sony Pictures movies?

Since HD-DVD is backwards-compatible with the DVD format, yes.

Vincent

#10 of 70 Pete T C

Pete T C

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted April 20 2007 - 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romar Armas
The update says Blu Ray HD DVD players. So dual format players for $300?

The translation was actually blue laser HD DVD. This was specified because in China they have red laser high definition disc as a format, too. Nothing to do with "Blu-Ray" which would simply read as "Blu-Ray."

In addition the press release also talks about being able to press the discs on the same equipment as regular DVD, which is not possible with Blu-Ray.

#11 of 70 Pete T C

Pete T C

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted April 20 2007 - 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettB

Better question, will said studios want to throw away 2 million potential Walmart customers? Posted Image

#12 of 70 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,169 posts

Posted April 20 2007 - 06:49 AM

I think its safe to state that if this report is true Disney at least will be releasing titles to HD-DVD. Wal-Mart is the largest seller of Disney DVDs in the world!
Joseph
---------------

#13 of 70 Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,931 posts

Posted April 20 2007 - 07:14 AM

First, I thought entry level Toshiba players were already 299.00. The good news about this is that Walmart might actually help HD-DVD reach the mainstream consumer. This is pretty good news and my guess is that the price has no where to go but down after that.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#14 of 70 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted April 20 2007 - 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Grate
First, I thought entry level Toshiba players were already 299.00. The good news about this is that Walmart might actually help HD-DVD reach the mainstream consumer. This is pretty good news and my guess is that the price has no where to go but down after that.
In addition, 299 retail rice probably translate into a 199 WaMart price. And the war heats up.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#15 of 70 Mark Booth

Mark Booth

Supporting Actor

• 773 posts

Posted April 20 2007 - 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickER
But i can see me getting both HD and BD (if needed) when name brand players are in the 3 to 400 dollar price range.

The Toshiba HD-A2 is ALREADY available for $320. That's on the low end of your range so when will you be buying that HD-DVD player? Posted Image

BTW, I guess you will be waiting a bit for the Blu-ray player in that price range.

Mark

#16 of 70 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,541 posts

Posted April 20 2007 - 03:39 PM

My experience with cheap Chinese DVD players has been nothing but bad. I wouldn't spend 50 dollars on a Chinese HD DVD player.....let alone 200. I never thought I'd see the day where people would actually see the release of garbage players as a benefit. Remotes that don't work, poor quality picture, and cheaply built. Yup. That is exactly what HD DVD needs to succeed. Whatever happened to the desire for sturdy, quality built gear? Now it seems like it is all....."if it costs more than 100 bucks I'm not interested".

Also, If I was a studio I wouldn't release anything on a format that had the involvement of Chinese branded players.

It is a moot point anyway. Does anybody actually think that SONY and other Blu-ray manufacturers are going to just stand by and let TOSHIBA have free reign in the low end market? Don't worry, they will be making their own deals to flood the market with cheap Chinese garbage Blu-ray players. This war isn't over.....not by a long shot
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#17 of 70 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts

Posted April 20 2007 - 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth
The Toshiba HD-A2 is ALREADY available for $320. That's on the low end of your range so when will you be buying that HD-DVD player? Posted Image

BTW, I guess you will be waiting a bit for the Blu-ray player in that price range.

Mark

I know, got the A2 in my Amazon wish list. Bet it will look sweet on my Tosh 50" Plasma. Just a little longer, after summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin-S
My experience with cheap Chinese DVD players has been nothing but bad. I wouldn't spend 50 dollars on a Chinese HD DVD player.....let alone 200. I never thought I'd see the day where people would actually see the release of garbage players as a benefit. Remotes that don't work, poor quality picture, and cheaply built. Yup. That is exactly what HD DVD needs to succeed. Whatever happened to the desire for sturdy, quality built gear? Now it seems like it is all....."if it costs more than 100 bucks I'm not interested".

Also, If I was a studio I wouldn't release anything on a format that had the involvement of Chinese branded players.

It is a moot point anyway. Does anybody actually think that SONY and other Blu-ray manufacturers are going to just stand by and let TOSHIBA have free reign in the low end market? Don't worry, they will be making their own deals to flood the market with cheap Chinese garbage Blu-ray players. This war isn't over.....not by a long shot

I agree 100% with everything you say!

#18 of 70 Mark Booth

Mark Booth

Supporting Actor

• 773 posts

Posted April 21 2007 - 02:36 AM

I sure wish I could find that photo of the label on a PS3 that said: "Made in China". Posted Image

Mark

#19 of 70 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts

Posted April 21 2007 - 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth
I sure wish I could find that photo of the label on a PS3 that said: "Made in China". Posted Image

Mark

Made in China to the specifications that Sony placed on the product, i e we will make sure the quality is in the product. That is the key. A DVD player made with little to no quality standards, with a no name company...well, you get what you pay for.

#20 of 70 Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted April 21 2007 - 04:25 AM

Quote:
The Walmarting of society is happening and that's what they demand. They are the largest retailer of DVD's so their influence can't be discounted when discussing a format war. It's not the hardware discussion that really is the good thing but rather it's the software influence that could be the result of this that will be the most interesting element.

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow