What's new

Bout to pull the trigger on a SVS which should I get 10-NPD or 12-NPD (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Wes
The room is 13 wide and 21 deep

I read somewhere that the 10 actaully sounds better with music but the 12 is so intising to me

help me out guys

Im new

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
how high's the ceiling? what do you listen to/ watch? what's the rest of the gear?

Real Name
Wes
The ceilings are 9 feet in the room ... I thought today I might get the Paradigm Monitor Titans W/ CC 290, but now Im reading they are very "high" sounding. I like more of a warm sound

I would like to spend around 500-800 on the fronts ...no more than 500 on the center ... and around 1,200 for a receiver.

Im kind of pissed now that I heard Paradigms are not warm

about 80% movies - 20% Music

I'm open for suggestions....

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
I've owned 2 PB10-NSDs (one with the original NSD and one with the updated NSD driver) and a PB12-NSD. I could hear no difference on music at normal volumes between the two. At higher volumes, the PB12-NSD wins.

-Robb

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
go for the 12 - definitely more oomph for the big bass scenes.

as for speakers, for warm it's got to be monitor audio. saturday audio is an authorised dealer and closeout agent for their stuff. some great deals only problem is the silver series center is sold out there. bronze sound very good too, well below your budget but worth a listen IMO. if you can find them, era speakers are very nice and on the warm side.

you're not going to find many truly warm speakers out there, at least not new. i like warm too - vintage is where to find it short of very expensive new stuff. psb is certainly neutral which, given how bright most new gear sounds, is almost warm by comparisson. (but not really). epos are probably also worth a listen.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine

popular... hmm... what does that sound like?

i know warm and bright are subjective but i know what they mean.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
With 2500 cu-ft, I'd lean toward the PB12nsd. Particularly if you enjoy the occasional action oriented DVD at louder volume levels. Both will extend well under 20hz in this room size but the PB12nsd will have 3-4dB more headroom. Another way of looking at that is...it would take three of the PB10s to match a pair of PB12s.

Tom V.
SVS

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
if your gonna listen to mostly movies, paradigms do very nicely. I have Paradigm Monitor 7's (V.3) and the CC-370 (V.3) with Sappire surrounds.

with music, the Paradigms are a bit bright but can be controlled somewhat. they still sound great and go very low on their own.

for mostly movies though I wouldnt worry much.

BTW: I also own a SVS 25_31PC+ :)

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser

Put the gun down, and slowly walk away from the SVS subwoofer!

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
I know you like the SVS but have you looked at the HSU MK2-MK3. I believe it will this one a run for the money given the price point. I have a 2.3 and it is a beast.

Happy hunting

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I tried both the HSU (from compusa) and the SVS. I felt the SVS was better made. not a fair comparison cause I bought an SVS double the price, but it says something if I choose something online over something I could have bought & kept locally. I did want cheaper and didnt really want to spend almost $900 on a sub. I didnt need something this powerful or big. (although I like it and it is quite impressive and a good looking piece)

I will say, if the PB-10 was available at the time I bought the 25_31PC+, I would have bought the PB-10 instead. my 25_31PC+ is much more than I will ever need unless I move. which was my thinking, but I am still in the same house.

the 25_31PC+ still scares the pants off me.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
CompUSA selling Hsu?!?! Thats news to me...I see it nowhere on the Hsu or CompUSA site...how strange

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
As far as music goes, I cant recall hearing a difference myself? I have had a good many SVS subs including the 10-ISD and both the 12-ISD that converted over to the upgraded NSD driver option. In a room your size, I would highly recommend going with the 12". It's going to have more presence/feel and afford you more headroom like previously suggested. Over-kill is one thing, but you would be sitting quite realistic with the 12" NSD imo. A suggestion I might make, is if you lean towards a cylinder.. is to consider a 25-31PCi and have Tom custom tune it to 22 Hz. It'll have all the traits I just alluded to while digging a little deeper, along with coming in smaller. Of all the subs I have had including many beefy DIY projects, my PCi is still in use or on standby, what ever the case may be at the time. Bang for your buck! it's a worthy consideration. Oh!.. easy to move around also;)

Ralph B

Supporting Actor

maybe not anymore, but if I recall correctly thats where it was sold. its been a few years now, maybe they dont anymore.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Man, I really want a new sub....

Where's that guy handing out free stacks of cash when I need him?! :D

BTW, SVS has nice nice overstock deals going on right now... :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks