-

Photo
- - - - -

How cool is is it?...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,899 posts

Posted April 17 2007 - 07:01 AM

I remember going to conventions in the 1990's hoping to find copies of tv shows that I wanted that were never on in syndication and had NO SHOT of ever getting released on vhs. I even have catalogs from individuals with shows they had available for trade or purchase (ie-send 4 blank videos gets you 2 hrs of a particular show). Then dvd came along and I assumed it would be the status quo. Then slowly we got some shows. Nothing surprising since these were big name shows. But, then something happened that I and I am sure no one expected. We started getting shows that we would never ever think would come out on vhs..let alone dvd. Shows such as Ark 2, Cobra, Voyagers just to name a few were coming out. I remember the first time I visited Gord's tv shows on dvd web site. And registering to be notified if any of the above shows would be released. Imagine my surprise when almost every show I wanted was getting releases.
I only have a few shows left that haven't been released. But, I am hopeful now they will. And another benefit of these releases. I used to tape up to 10 shows on vhs and then dvd. But, with the knowledge that most shows I like will be released on dvd. My show taping is down to zero. Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Elena S

Elena S

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted April 17 2007 - 01:43 PM

Glad you're happy. Only about 10% of what I want is on DVD. And most of the other 90% will likely never be.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   John Carr

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted April 18 2007 - 04:52 AM

I agree the TV on DVD is a very cool phenomenon. I'm running about 80/20, that is, about 80% of my favorite shows are being released and in many cases wrapped up: Moonlighting, Northern Exposure, Sopranos, Frasier, Cheers, Miami Vice, Rockford Files and many more.

It's only the classic shows (Father Knows Best/My Three Sons, etc.) from the 50s/60s that are lagging. I'm expecting that they will slowly leak out as more and more shows are exhausted and new product is needed for the pipeline...

The best part for me is all the 'new' shows I've discovered, like Dead Like Me, Carnivale, Deadwood, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Gilmore Girls, Entourage, Lost, Rome and so many others. I'm looking forward to the new August/September releases.

John

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Eve Brown

Eve Brown

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted April 18 2007 - 09:55 AM

TV/DVD is the best. I had many of the WB shows and a few others on tape (in 20s). Now the only tapes I keep are of general hospital. Most have been replaced with the dvd release. Athrough I do have a few short shows like Karen Sisco, LAX, and Titans on tape waiting to be replaced plus the last season of Once and Again. My oldest shows are Bewitched and I Dream of Jeanie on dvd because I saw them in syndication growing up.

Currentily have 65 shows plus 4 that am going to be selling. Working on watching them all in the challege. One older friend of mine thought that all my shows were from WB network. But really only a sixth of them aired on the WB. My favorvite show ever is The Pretender when watching it on dvd it went so fast and after I was done I wanted more so badly.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Steven_J_H

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted April 19 2007 - 03:39 AM

TV on dvd for me is about older, obscure shows that I liked. Some I haven't seen since I was a kid.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted April 19 2007 - 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven_J_H
TV on dvd for me is about older, obscure shows that I liked. Some I haven't seen since I was a kid.

Says it all for me. I have a few 90's and 80's sets but most are 60's/70's. I've also been somewhat surprised at how well nearly all of the sets that I've bought are standing the test of time.....Combat!, Mission:Impossible, Time Tunnel, Rifleman, Voyage...Sea, Wanted, Dead or Alive, Wild Wild West.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,890 posts

Posted April 19 2007 - 06:39 AM

But ahhhh- there's still a LOT of vintage shows that have yet have to see the light of DVD day, many of these have never been put out on VHS!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Firebee

Firebee

Supporting Actor

• 759 posts

Posted April 19 2007 - 02:37 PM

I think TV on DVD is the greatest thing ever...it allowed me to revisit parts of my childhood that I remember fondly in being able to watch ``Gilligan's Island,'' ``The Brady Bunch'' and ``Bewitched'' and catch up on other shows that I missed when they aired such as ``The X-Files,'' ``Buffy,'' ``Angel,'' ``The Adventures of Brisco County'' and ``Invasion'' to name a few. So far I've run across very few disappointments with my DVD sets, the most annoying are the darned cheap double-sided discs favored by Universal for ``The A-Team'' and ``Magnum,'' though I've only watched two or three episodes of ``Magnum'' and haven't run across the pixelation or outright unplayability of scenes on the double-sided discs as I have with the ``A-Team''. As an aside, I love Paramount's treatment of ``JAG'' thus far, tho they seem to have really skimped on extras on the third season.

I also have not enough time to watch all of these DVDS:

http://www.invelos.c....aspx/fire26bee

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted April 20 2007 - 01:27 AM

Dan, good point about the more recent series. I also haven't seen a lot of the popular show of recent vintage, X-Files, etc. The great thing about a lot of the recent shows is that they were geared to DVD release so we can check them out whenever we want. "If only DVD's were around in the 60's" Man, us 'Boomers and some of the younger crowd that's interested in the older shows would be in DVD-Heaven right now Posted Image

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Firebee

Firebee

Supporting Actor

• 759 posts

Posted April 20 2007 - 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis
Dan, good point about the more recent series. I also haven't seen a lot of the popular show of recent vintage, X-Files, etc. The great thing about a lot of the recent shows is that they were geared to DVD release so we can check them out whenever we want. "If only DVD's were around in the 60's" Man, us 'Boomers and some of the younger crowd that's interested in the older shows would be in DVD-Heaven right now Posted Image

Very true, Jeff...and shows like ``Voyage,'' ``Man From U.N.C.L.E.'' and so on would've benefited and we'd be living in hog heaven, as you said. Interesting point about the newer series...you're right...I'll be most interested to see the DVD presentation for the newest shows begun in September and October such as ``Jericho'' and ``Heroes'' to see how they're handled on this excellent and durable (so long as it isn't scratched!) medium. Posted Image

I also have not enough time to watch all of these DVDS:

http://www.invelos.c....aspx/fire26bee

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,899 posts

Posted April 20 2007 - 05:26 AM

To all those still wanting older shows...I know its not perfect. But, at least now we have a chance that these shows will come out...no matter how obscure. 10 yrs ago..heck even 5yrs ago. Did you ever think half the shows that are out now would ever come out. I didn't think their was a shot in hell that Voyagers and Cobra would ever be released on any format.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

Forum Nav Content I Follow