Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Audio description? Interesting...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted April 16 2007 - 01:35 AM

I watched the R2 DVD of Red Road the other night and noticed a special feature called "audio description." This turned out to be a commentary track describing the visual aspects of the film for the blind. (Old news perhaps, but I had never seen it before.) An interesting idea, but I have to wonder if there's much of an audience for it. At any rate, it's a nice gesture by the producers. Posted Image

Hmm, I only watched a few minutes of the film with the audio description on and didn't think to fast forward to a fairly explicit sex scene. Would have been interesting to hear that described! Posted Image

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted April 16 2007 - 02:34 AM

One of these is on the T2:UE as well.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Kramer Lowry

Kramer Lowry

Second Unit

• 389 posts

Posted April 16 2007 - 04:47 AM

Posted Image

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   ChadMcCallum

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit

• 438 posts

Posted April 16 2007 - 07:26 AM

The theatrical cut of Dare Devil also had a descriptive audio track but strangely the directors cut does not. Does anyone know if special dvds that have descriptive audio tracks are produced and sold through various institutes for the blind and visually impaired? It seems quite unfair that such a small percentage of dvds actually come with such a track. What are blind and visually impaired people supposed to do if they want to watch a movie that doesn't have one? Pay someone to sit there and describe whats happening for them?

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 16 2007 - 02:38 PM

I believe the Audio Descriptive tracks are generally on UK releases.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,703 posts

Posted April 17 2007 - 04:57 AM

The Media Access Group at WGBH Boston does a lot of work with DVS (described audio) tracks, both for their own material and major studios. A partial list of their titles can be found here:

http://main.wgbh.org....ible-dvds.html

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,046 posts

Posted April 17 2007 - 08:53 AM

I listened to the one on "Moulin Rouge", which would be impossible to get to if you couldn't see because the audio button is locked out and you have to select it from a sub-menu!

40-Year-Old Virgin and Cinderella Man have it too, in fact I think Universal has been including that a lot lately. It was also on the first release of the Grinch movie, and the first Basic Instinct disc which I heard was unintentionally funny.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc