Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Star Trek IV - Director's Cut?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 Kramer Lowry

Kramer Lowry

Second Unit

• 389 posts

Posted April 16 2007 - 12:33 AM

Posted Image

#2 of 12 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,859 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted April 16 2007 - 02:32 AM

I wonder if this is the total running time of the VHS Director's Edition, which contained a brief EPK piece on the film, since the only alternate versions listed on IMDb are foreign versions that contain a brief summary of STII and III. I doubt such a summary would take 18 minutes, or be part of a Director's Cut.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#3 of 12 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,720 posts

Posted April 16 2007 - 04:01 AM

A "director's edition" of the film came out on VHS in the early 90s, and contained the movie, same as it was released to theaters and on earlier VHS, along with a featurette with Leonard Nimoy talking about the making of the movie. That same featurette is on both DVD editions. There is no longer cut of the movie that I have ever been aware of. IMDB is probably referring to the director's VHS edition.

#4 of 12 Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted April 16 2007 - 08:48 AM

...or the laserdisc, which was part of the Paramount "Director's Series" label of the time, in which letterboxing was used and described/justified by the director on camera before the film.

There has never been a cut released of ST IV other than the theatrical.
-Jay

#5 of 12 Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Long Member

• 14,124 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted April 16 2007 - 11:43 AM

There was a longer version of Star Trek IV. I owned it on vhs. As Stephen mentioned on this thread it was a pre-credits summary of events in Star Trek II & III, can't have been more than a 3-4 minutes long. But it was interesting to watch those scenes with Leonard Rosenman's music instead of Horners. The title of the film was displayed differently too, The Voyage Home in large font, with Star Trek IV smaller font below.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#6 of 12 Roger_R

Roger_R

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted April 16 2007 - 12:15 PM

Quote:
The title of the film was displayed differently too, The Voyage Home in large font, with Star Trek IV smaller font below.
I remember that title sequence from a pan'n'scan VHS copy I rented ages ago that also had the summary. I've never seen it since so I thought it was a figment of my imagination. Posted Image

The summary is on my widescreen VHS as well, but there the opening titles are the same as on the DVD.

#7 of 12 Carter of Mars

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted April 16 2007 - 01:23 PM

Watch the prologue here

#8 of 12 Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted April 17 2007 - 04:25 AM

Ah, yes, true. That was for markets outside the U.S..
-Jay

#9 of 12 Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

• 692 posts

Posted April 18 2007 - 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Pennington
Ah, yes, true. That was for markets outside the U.S..

Right. It was to help foreign audiences catch up on the story from previous films. It is not a "Director's Cut." Nimoy has said that the original theatrical cut is his final version. He doesn't want to make any changes.

Doug

#10 of 12 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,859 posts

Posted April 18 2007 - 02:36 AM

He said that both on the Director's Edition piece and in the commentary on the 2-disc edition.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#11 of 12 Steven_J_H

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted April 18 2007 - 03:39 AM

Never saw the european prologue before. Nice.

#12 of 12 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,859 posts

Posted April 18 2007 - 08:22 AM

This is going to get confusing if we wind up posting one after the other in too many threads. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow