What's new

'HOT FUZZ', one of the funniest trailers i've seen in some time! (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
:laugh:

It's from the creators of Shaun of the Dead and it also stars Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, I almost spit liquid out of my nose when the old lady get's fly-kicked Transporter-style! :laugh:

I'm all over this! :cool:

I would post the trailer but I don't know how to post videos yet, apologies.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I've seen the movie, and it's actually pretty funny and clever. Although, unfortunately, the best bits (as is typical) are almost all in the trailer. Such as the ice cream headache and the "shortcut". :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
There's a feature article on it in the newest Entertainment Weekly.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"I would post the trailer but I don't know how to post videos yet, apologies."

Ha ha, I always here this coming from newbies and not a guy with nearly 9 000 posts:)

or

Hot fuzz

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

And i've never seen anyone with over 5,000 posts who couldn't properly use the quote tab. :D ;)

Seriously, though, back when I started here there was no Youtube and I simply don't watch video on my pc that much, i'm sure I could learn to post them, though.

Anyhoo, thanks for posting it, I must see this movie soon! :laugh:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I sw Hot Fuzz tonight. It's not my favorite sort of movie, but with a good movie theater crowd and in a mood to enjoy a fun flick, it was quite entertaining and the final 20 minutes were riotous.

Unfortunately, the preview gives away several key scenes and misrepresents the movie. I expected the wrong thing through the beginning; it took a while to shake it and enjoy the movie for what it was.

And it was a smart murder-mystery/cop drama movie rolled up in a send up of action movies, buddy movies, a touch of romantic comedy, and conspiracy whodunnits.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
It's a good movie. Not a great one, but worth the trip to theaters. I prefered Shaun of the Dead (although I prefer the action genre to zombies), but this is a funny, smart, silly movie. The leads (and most of the supporting actors) are immensely charming.

It has some incredibly funny moments, but it's not as crazy as it could be.

Still, a very fun film, especially if you know what you are getting (there are long parts without "action", and the action is all tongue in cheek).

Take care,
Chuck

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Geez!...What happened to the Equalizer(Edward Woodward)?!? He looks like he gained a 100lbs. :frowning:

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I disagree that too much was shown in the trailers (though, to be fair, how many people would go if NO funny bits were in the trailer??). These scenes were a great bait for getting folks into the theater but did little to really reveal much of the story and there are a TON of funny moments so a few beats leaked out in a trailer isn't so bad. Unlike like, oh, most American comedies where the funny scenes in the trailer ARE the only funny scenes (if at all). I mean, do you think there is much more funny stuff to mine out of the horrible looking Larry the Cable Guy movie that had a trailer before the FUZZ?

Anyway, the movie is a blast. A packed house made it even more fun as everyone was in on it, cheered, clapped and hooted all the way throughout. Great fun. It is a clever story, good character development, wonderful acting and awesome action scenes. Pegg and Frost are a great pair and I was glad that the trailer, which hints at a repeat of SHAUN's relationship, is actually wrong. Though Frost plays another lovable fat guy, this one isn't a slacker with an attitude. He is very sweet and funny and a genuine good guy and Pegg is all serious and action in this movie vs. his Gen-X middle manager in SHAUN. The supporting cast is tops, though. From my fave with Jim Broadbent to the AWESOME Timothy Dalton (who nearly steals the movie when he is on screen chewing scenery with abandon) it is a fine cast with great characters.

Hope this rakes in the money so these guys can do more films like this.

So when are we going to get a proper SPACED DVD collection in the States?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I disagree as well that too much of the good stuff was shown in the trailers. The movie's chockfull of greatness. Hell, the bits in the trailer don't even touch the orgy of laughter that is the movie's last act. It's just a pitch perfect spoof of the genre we all know and love. I've seen this attempted a couple of times (usually by guys like Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, and Will Ferrel), but they all end up blowing it because they're never willing to take it full hilt.

This is probably the first film I've seen which had the audience laughing so hard that we were all coughing up phlegm for a good while afterwards. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This was one of the loudest films I'm seen in 2007. Overall, a film of 2 different tones, first half dealing with officer Angel being jettisoned to a small, quaint town with a super-low crime rate after being too good of a cop in London (making other cops look bad), and the second half is simply over-the-top, but in a good way.

If you're a fan of Pegg and Frost, it's a must-see, just don't go expecting anything resembling Shaun of the Dead.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Very disappointing.

First half was painfully dull while the second half was much better, although loud doesn't always equal good.

Was expecting much more from this team. Overall it was just OK. Could have been sooo much better.

:star::star:1/2

BTW, I DO agree that most of the funny bits were shown in the trailer, which gave a misleading impression that this is a flat out comedy which it is not.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
HOT FUZZ did about $2.1million on Fri. and came in #5. Probably do about $6 million for the weekend. Did have the highest per screen average as Terry predicted though.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Well, I do think it's a flat out comedy, but definitely not in the obvious sense. The humor comes from just how seriously the film takes itself. It's a comedy, but it thinks it's an action film.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm planning to see it tomorrow if my buddy can get away, i'll have to wait until later in the week if he can't make it. I REALLY want to see this movie! :laugh:

Tino, long time no see! :cool:

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the boys club:)

Anyways

"It's a good movie. Not a great one, but worth the trip to theaters. I prefered Shaun of the Dead"

I agree, Hot Fuzz didn't really have as many gut busting laughs as Shaun. Nothing came close to the scene in Shaun where he grabs the pole with the tennis ball on it and hit the zombie in the head with the tennis ball ...:)

B

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Shaun of the Dead was far more structurally sound. The first half of Hot Fuzz was so dry in its humor and low-key in its demeanor that it honestly became dull after a while. The second half of the film was hilarious, but the laughs came from the absurdity of stereotypical endings that piled one on top of another. Even as I laughed at each one, after the fourth or fifth I was checking my watch.

Works better as a satire of the action genre than it does as a film in its own right, unlike Shaun of the Dead which was a fantastic horror comedy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks