What's new

Benson season 1 DVD? (1 Viewer)

Shawn_C

Stunt Coordinator
SONY had a poll about 3-4 years ago asking fans to select TV shows they would like to see released on DVD. Benson was one of them. I believe at that time it was one of the highest votes. Years have past and no word of a release. Does any one know if Benson will ever be released on DVD?

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I never got into the SOAP sitcom, but its sole spinoff Benson I watched regularly when it premiered in 1979 and stayed with it until it ended in 1986. It was Robert Guilliame at his Emmy-winning best. :emoji_thumbsup:

What's most interesting about Benson is that it co-starred two future Star Trek series regulars:
Deep Space Nine's Rene Auberjoinois (as Clayton Endicott) and Voyager's Ethan Phillips (as Pete).

I wouldn't buy this on DVD, but it's good for one viewing.

Shawn_C

Stunt Coordinator
I have not see this show in ages. I really hope Sony will consider releasing the series on DVD soon.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
If they do release it, I hope they do a better job than they did with "Soap." I haven't even upgraded my Columbia House VHS tapes on that one because I have heard about all the cut episodes (some season 1 ones and the last 10 season 4 shows, which were five hour-long shows originally), and someone said the picture quality on some episodes looked like VHS at EP speed.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about Benson being released, considering that most everything else,that was on that poll,has already been released,or has been announced to be released pretty soon.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I read the review, and I'm thinking to myself, "Why doesn't Sony do all its sets like this?" SIlver Spoons S1 boasted "exclusive bonus features," which were so exclusive they didn't want anyone to see them! The picture quality on Bewitched supposedly takes a huge dive with season 5. And still no advertising. They've got the uncut part under control, but I still wish they would put their best foot forward and release more sets like this one.

They boast that this is "remastered in high definition," which would be a first for an early 1980s videotaped sitcom.

Great job, Pavan.

Shawn_C

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to say Thank you to Sony Pictures for releasing Benson on DVD. I was a kid when the show originally aired in the early 80's. But since purchasing the set in the summer I really enjoy the 1st season. Hope to see more sets released.

Thanks again,

John_Dee

Grip
I'm just wondering does anyone know either how well or how poorly the first season sold?

The show was a blind buy for me and I have absolutely loved it and am desperate for more. :D

So does anyone know the chances of the second season showing up on DVD at some point?

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Well, season 2 is on the way, and this time, it will be from Sony and Warner Archives: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Benson-Season-2/16592

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Great news! I think this is one of the funniest comedies ever, so I'm definitely ready for S2. I'd given up all hope of ever seeing this.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I've learned to live with MODs begrudgingly, so I'm glad to see this get another chance on DVD via that means. Hopefully it does well enough to see it through to the end and we get more Sony shows on MOD DVDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks