What's new

A question on two systems... (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Christian
Hey, I have a question about two home theater systems I have found, ( sorry about the URLs but I just wanted to show you the systems I am talking about but it wouldnt let me post any URLs :frowning: )

The first one is a good 1000 Watts of power,

newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16882676023

The second one is 1200 Watts,

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882103214#spec

Now what I am looking for is killer bass so I can enjoy my PS3 with great sound, so I don't care about the types of DVD's it can read/write etc. so what I am asking is which one would you home theater experts recommend...and another question is, is 200 Watts more power really worth about $120?

I would really appreciate a good feed back....thanks... :D

Real Name
Christian
Thanks for the links but I only am willing to buy from Newegg...plus I just want to know which one of the two I showed do you guys recommend...

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
how about this panny. and these speakers. all together about $450. you have the advantage of having a real 7.1 avr that you can use with most speakers you might ever want. for $30 more you have the ability to upgrade the speakers when you can. this receiver has real binding posts for the speaker connections instead of spring clips. HTIB receivers are generally engineered to work together well but you can't assume the receiver will play nicely with other speakers.

if you must go HTIB, don't get that samsung. the sub's high end doesn't even meet the sat's low end, very poor design. also, please don't be another person who thinks watts = quality or volume, there's so much more to it than that. it's like trying to decide what sandwich tastes better based on calories with out taking a bite of either.

whatever you do, don't be this guy who bought these sherwood speakers and left the following review:

so to answer your question, i wouldn't recommend either. if i had to buy one it would be the panny, having nothing to do with watts.

Real Name
Christian
Wow thanks for showing me those speakers and receiver, but I have one question....if I buy the speakers and receiver will it have just as strong bass as the systems I showed earlier in my first post? Because bass and sound quality is all I am interested in...sorry if I sound like a retard, but I don't know too much about stereos...:frowning: I just want to drive my mom crazy with the whole house shaking because of the music...:D

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Here's a tip: don't buy speakers from big-name electronics manufacturers like Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, etc. You should buy speakers and subwoofers from companies that specialize in audio like AV123, SVS, HSU Research, B&W, Ascend Acoustics, etc. They sell great products at a great value. You won't be getting as much value if you go with the big brand name manufacturers. Their speakers and subs may do OK for the money, but just OK.

Real Name
Christian

Oh...ok, well it's because I have to use my moms credit card and she is crazy about using her card online, I'm surprised about her letting me buy off newegg... :laugh:

But yeah like I said, I just want amazingly strong bass and great sound quality....my budget is $500 and thats pushing it...:frowning: :crazy:

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Do you have a Best Buy and/or a Circuit City nearby?

Is your mom also crazy about using her card over the phone? You can also purchase AV123 products over the phone. Their customer support is great and may put your mom at ease.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine

ok, you really want to do this well, or do you want to just get the best you can within your $500 budget?

answer these questions too: how old are you? how big is your listening room? do want this mainly for movies, music, games, tv, how much of each? a small room doesn't need as big a sub or speakers as a larger room. if you're going to use this mostly for music, maybe a 2 channel stereo would be better suited to you're needs.

the fact of the matter is you're not going to get great sound quality and bass out of a system that costs $500 for a receiver, 5 speakers and a powered subwoofer. that doesn't mean it will be horrible either, or that you will or won't like it. taste in sound is like taste in anything, personal. there are many things that people like and dislike in their electronics and speakers. but there are certain basic goals most people around here have for their systems. some of those goals are clear and accurate sound across the audible frequency range at whatever listening level you like in your listening room. now that doesn't mean we've all met our goals to our satisfaction, just that that is the minimum we want to achieve with our audio gear.

so how much do you have to spend to meet that minimum standard? it depends on many things, but i'd say to have reasonably clear bass down below 30hz you're probably looking $750 min for receiver, 5 speakers and a sub. i'm not suggesting you need to up your budget now. i think it's fine to start with more inexpensive gear and upgrade over time. thomasC is right to recommend looking elsewhere as there are many better values to be had out there than what's on newegg.

so let us know what your goals are as specifically as you can and we'll give you the best suggestions we can within your budget.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
you know, i just looked up that panny HTIB SC-RT50. i was curious about the sub, to see what low end was rated to. it wasn't listed on the newegg prod listing, so i checked panny's site. the power ratings are something to behold:

so i guess the sub goes down to 45hz, hardly a subwoofer IMO. that sherwood system's sub goes down to 35hz, not great either, but better. as for the 1200 watts, what a joke! most of the ratings are at 4ohms (meaning less watts into a more typical 8 ohm speaker) and they are at 10% THD (total harmonic distortion). 10% thd is unlistenable IMO, i imagine a boombox from the 80's on 8 D batteries putting out as much static as music from the cassette it's playing. this is why no HTIB's!

Real Name
Christian
Oh man thank god your so willing to help, well I am 14 years old, I'll be putting the system in my room that is a regular sized room, nothing big or small...my king sized bed takes up most of it... :laugh: I'll be using the system for gaming in 5.1 surround and to listen to music with large amounts of strong bass (Hip-Hop, etc.)

And about that $500 budget, if you can show me something that'll blow me away and will really be worth it in the long run than I would reconsider that budget...I plan to hook it up to my PS3 via an Optical Audio cable...

And if could you only show me online stores that are 100% safe, I will literally die if my mom gets her credit card stuff stolen...

I am just sick of this old raggedy old stereo I have and this woofer that goes down to 60Hz...:angry:

MikeNg

Second Unit
Well, I hate to break it to you and your mom Christian, but this WORLD is not 100% safe. As far as online speaker companies go, I feel safer buying from AV123 more than some of the large B&M outfits (who do you think stands a better chance of getting hacked?).

You WILL get more for your mom's $ from AV123. 100% sure of it. No I don't work for them! Get your PC components from Newegg, not your audio system!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Like Mike said, nothing is 100%. But I've used OneCall.com Vanns.com and ac4l.com (accessories for less) many times without issue. And I'm sure there are many others.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Something I love about NewEgg:
:laugh:

Yeah, these guys know what they're talking about. You've been given great advice.

Real Name
Christian

Yes I have both bear by...what are you suggesting?

And sorry for saying 100% safe as I know the world isn't 100% safe but I mean above average in the safe rating if you know what I mean...;)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I'm guessing your mom might feel safer shopping there. If so...

Get the Pioneer VSX-516-K receiver from Circuit City: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pione...oductDetail.do

Get two pairs of Insignia NS-B2111 speakers from Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138085354138

But for the best bass in your price range, I think your best option is to buy from AV123. If you can convince your mom to order over the phone or the Internet from AV123, then forget about the Insignias and buy a pair of the x-ls speakers and get the x-sub.

Please take my advice: don't rush into this. Don't get whatever you want now, because you'll pay for it later when you have to upgrade everything. It can be a painful wait, but it will be worth it.

If it takes you a week or two to convince your mom that AV123 and other Internet retailers are reputable, that's just one or two weeks. You're better off in the long run.

Real Name
Christian
Ok I got her to let me buy it off AV123 but my skin is on the line :laugh:, now about that sub and two speakers from AV123, I will need to buy that receiver from circuit city right?

Since that receiver does allow 5.1 surround I can buy the rear speakers and center speaker later right?

Real Name
Christian
Ok will do, I will get it online and see if I can pick it up at the store...:D

And when I do plan to buy those rear speakers and center speaker which ones should I buy?

(Sorry for asking so many questions, I really appreciate the help man :crazy:...I'm so happy I found this site...:laugh: )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks