What's new

Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos in 5.1! (1 Viewer)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
From Mike Portnoy's website

DREAM THEATER'S upcoming release "Systematic Chaos" will be released on Tuesday June 5th (date may vary in different countries) and will be available in two formats:

Regular Edition CD:

and a Special Edition CD and DVD:

The Special Edition DVD will include:

--- the entire album mixed in 5.1 surround sound
--- "Chaos in Progress - The Making of Systematic Chaos"
(a 90-minute documentary directed by Mike Portnoy)

The CD's track listing for both editions is:

1. In The Presence of Enemies Pt.1 (9:00)
2. Forsaken (5:36)
3. Constant Motion (6:55)

4. The Dark Eternal Night (8:51)

5. Repentance (10:43)
6. Prophets Of War (6:01)
7. The Ministry of Lost Souls (14:57)

8. In The Presence of Enemies Pt.2 (16:38)

The band will shoot a video next week for the first single off the album, "Constant Motion".

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Can't wait for the new release. I wasn't into Train of Thought but loved Octavarium. I'm looking forward to hearing what they've put together this time.

Good spring for prog rock. New Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Rush and possibly Symphony X to go along with recent releases from Neal Morse and Spock's Beard.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Well I tried to read through 8 pages of 17 year olds who love the cover art and have not found out if the DVD is just straight DD/DTS 5.1 or has any hi-res.

Much doubt there will be MLP tracks. FOABP it is in September I guess. Still have not found out whether the Rush DVD Album has 24/48 or 24/96 or whatever resolution they are going to define hi-res on that one.

Why is this all being made so bloody difficult......

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Considering that there is a 90 minute documentary on the DVD on the making of the album, I doubt that there is going to be any more that a DD 5.1 track on the DVD.

Jason

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Hell yeah, Aaron!
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I cannot wait for this. I was introduced through Train of Thought, love Octavarium more, and have enjoyed the last two live dvds. Greatness.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Welcome, whippersnapper! :)

(I'd seen them live nine times by the time Six Degrees came out, and I even saw Meanstreak a few times.)

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Great news. I really don't care if it's dvd audio or not, because it's been my experience that the way 5.1 is recorded/produced has much more to do with how good it sounds than whether or not it's dvd-a or not. The newest Opeth album (Ghost Reveries) is 5.1 only and it sounds far better than some of my dvd-audio disks.

To me Dream Theater can do no wrong (almost). Even when I think I really don't care for an album (Falling Into Infinity, Octavarium) at first, they still grow on me over time and I end up loving them. Depending on my mood my favorite album is either Images and Words, Awake, or Scenes from a Memory.

My only complaint with them is that I find the production on their more recent albums to be inferior to their earlier stuff. 6 degrees sounds good, but it's a small step down from Scenes. Train of Thought has a dead sound to it, and that's a shame because I love the music. It sounds like it needs to breathe and they didn't let it if that makes any sense. Octavarium sound better that TOT but it still lacks a little something... I wish they all sounded like Awake!!

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Picking a favorite Dream Theater album is similar to picking a favorite Opeth album. It's Still Life.. wait no, it's Deliverance...no Blackwater Park... no it's definately Morningrise - for now. :)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I actually think it is some of their best songwriting, actually. That is, if you count the outtakes, most of which are better than some of the songs that actually made the album.

"Lines In The Sand" is one of the best songs they have written, ever.

Jason

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

Wow really surprised at this comment (sound-wise).

Now, songs like "Lines In The Sand" and "Trial Of Tears" sound great, but it's obvious "You Not Me" was mixed differently somehow, as that song just sounds terrible IMO. I think the liner notes even suggest recording was done in multiple studios for this record.

And for the record I still like every song on the CD. :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Good lord!!! Braindance is still around?!?!?!

(BTW, on a similar note, Mr. So & So got back together after 6 years off and is working on a new album!)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs

It's my favorite song. Period!

And I also love the Christmas CD with all the extra songs from that era too.

'The Way It Used To Be!' = m/

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

LOL, the singer HATES that this is frequently the commentary he receives. Kind of a sore subject. :)

But yes, they are still around, at least as a recording project. I was their bass player from 1997-1998 for recording and live shows, and I recorded the bass tracks for the last record, which took until 2001 to be released.

They're working on a new record and I did all the bass tracks last year. They're hoping for release this year. Things definitely move slow in their universe, but at least the end product is typically of high quality. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks