-

Photo
- - - - -

Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos in 5.1!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
116 replies to this topic

#1 of 117 OFFLINE   Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs

Supporting Actor

• 857 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted April 13 2007 - 04:24 PM

From Mike Portnoy's website

DREAM THEATER'S upcoming release "Systematic Chaos" will be released on Tuesday June 5th (date may vary in different countries) and will be available in two formats:

Regular Edition CD:
Posted Image

and a Special Edition CD and DVD:

Posted Image
The Special Edition DVD will include:

--- the entire album mixed in 5.1 surround sound
--- "Chaos in Progress - The Making of Systematic Chaos"
(a 90-minute documentary directed by Mike Portnoy)

The CD's track listing for both editions is:

1. In The Presence of Enemies Pt.1 (9:00)
2. Forsaken (5:36)

3. Constant Motion (6:55)

4. The Dark Eternal Night (8:51)

5. Repentance (10:43)
6. Prophets Of War (6:01)

7. The Ministry of Lost Souls (14:57)

8. In The Presence of Enemies Pt.2 (16:38)

The band will shoot a video next week for the first single off the album, "Constant Motion".

#2 of 117 OFFLINE   Jim_C

Jim_C

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts

Posted April 14 2007 - 08:28 AM

Can't wait for the new release. I wasn't into Train of Thought but loved Octavarium. I'm looking forward to hearing what they've put together this time.

Good spring for prog rock. New Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Rush and possibly Symphony X to go along with recent releases from Neal Morse and Spock's Beard.
You want to upgrade again?!!

#3 of 117 OFFLINE   PaulT

PaulT

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts

Posted April 14 2007 - 10:46 AM

Well I tried to read through 8 pages of 17 year olds who love the cover art and have not found out if the DVD is just straight DD/DTS 5.1 or has any hi-res.

Much doubt there will be MLP tracks. FOABP it is in September I guess. Still have not found out whether the Rush DVD Album has 24/48 or 24/96 or whatever resolution they are going to define hi-res on that one.

Why is this all being made so bloody difficult......
"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work--supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat." -- Douglas Adams

#4 of 117 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted April 17 2007 - 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulT
Well I tried to read through 8 pages of 17 year olds who love the cover art and have not found out if the DVD is just straight DD/DTS 5.1 or has any hi-res.

Much doubt there will be MLP tracks. FOABP it is in September I guess. Still have not found out whether the Rush DVD Album has 24/48 or 24/96 or whatever resolution they are going to define hi-res on that one.

Why is this all being made so bloody difficult......

Considering that there is a 90 minute documentary on the DVD on the making of the album, I doubt that there is going to be any more that a DD 5.1 track on the DVD.

Jason

#5 of 117 OFFLINE   Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs

Supporting Actor

• 857 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted April 17 2007 - 05:22 AM

One of the discs could be double-sided. After all, it can be done.

#6 of 117 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 17 2007 - 06:26 AM

Everybody who's anybody puts a DVD-A on the back of the DVD, right Brian? Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#7 of 117 OFFLINE   Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs

Supporting Actor

• 857 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted April 18 2007 - 04:50 AM

Quote:
Everybody who's anybody puts a DVD-A on the back of the DVD, right Brian? Posted Image
Hell yeah, Aaron! Posted Image

#8 of 117 OFFLINE   Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted April 20 2007 - 05:49 AM

I cannot wait for this. I was introduced through Train of Thought, love Octavarium more, and have enjoyed the last two live dvds. Greatness.

#9 of 117 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 20 2007 - 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Simpson
I cannot wait for this. I was introduced through Train of Thought, love Octavarium more, and have enjoyed the last two live dvds. Greatness.

Welcome, whippersnapper! Posted Image

(I'd seen them live nine times by the time Six Degrees came out, and I even saw Meanstreak a few times.)
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#10 of 117 OFFLINE   Sheldon C

Sheldon C

Second Unit

• 379 posts

Posted April 21 2007 - 12:38 AM

Great news. I really don't care if it's dvd audio or not, because it's been my experience that the way 5.1 is recorded/produced has much more to do with how good it sounds than whether or not it's dvd-a or not. The newest Opeth album (Ghost Reveries) is 5.1 only and it sounds far better than some of my dvd-audio disks.

To me Dream Theater can do no wrong (almost). Even when I think I really don't care for an album (Falling Into Infinity, Octavarium) at first, they still grow on me over time and I end up loving them. Depending on my mood my favorite album is either Images and Words, Awake, or Scenes from a Memory.

My only complaint with them is that I find the production on their more recent albums to be inferior to their earlier stuff. 6 degrees sounds good, but it's a small step down from Scenes. Train of Thought has a dead sound to it, and that's a shame because I love the music. It sounds like it needs to breathe and they didn't let it if that makes any sense. Octavarium sound better that TOT but it still lacks a little something... I wish they all sounded like Awake!!

#11 of 117 OFFLINE   Sheldon C

Sheldon C

Second Unit

• 379 posts

Posted April 21 2007 - 12:40 AM

Picking a favorite Dream Theater album is similar to picking a favorite Opeth album. It's Still Life.. wait no, it's Deliverance...no Blackwater Park... no it's definately Morningrise - for now. Posted Image

#12 of 117 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted April 21 2007 - 07:06 AM

I'm excited to hear this in 5.1 This is definitely good news.
Gear: Crestron AADS, Crestron 4L, RTI T2C, SVS PC 16-46, Xbox 360, Wii, Bass Shakers, TiVo HD, Toshiba A3 HD-DVD, 42" Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK, two Denon AVR-2106's, Speaker Craft Aim 7 Five's, Samsung HD-950 DVD player.

#13 of 117 OFFLINE   Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs

Supporting Actor

• 857 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted April 24 2007 - 01:38 AM

IMO Falling Into Infinity is their best sounding album, regardless of what you may think of the songwriting.

#14 of 117 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted April 24 2007 - 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dobbs
IMO Falling Into Infinity is their best sounding album, regardless of what you may think of the songwriting.

I actually think it is some of their best songwriting, actually. That is, if you count the outtakes, most of which are better than some of the songs that actually made the album.

"Lines In The Sand" is one of the best songs they have written, ever.

Jason

#15 of 117 OFFLINE   StevenW

StevenW

Second Unit

• 363 posts

Posted April 26 2007 - 07:27 AM

Cool beans!

#16 of 117 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted April 26 2007 - 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dobbs

Wow really surprised at this comment (sound-wise).

Now, songs like "Lines In The Sand" and "Trial Of Tears" sound great, but it's obvious "You Not Me" was mixed differently somehow, as that song just sounds terrible IMO. I think the liner notes even suggest recording was done in multiple studios for this record.

And for the record I still like every song on the CD. Posted Image
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#17 of 117 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 26 2007 - 09:48 AM

Good lord!!! Braindance is still around?!?!?!

(BTW, on a similar note, Mr. So & So got back together after 6 years off and is working on a new album!)

#18 of 117 OFFLINE   Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs

Supporting Actor

• 857 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted April 26 2007 - 03:47 PM

Quote:
"Lines In The Sand" is one of the best songs they have written, ever.

It's my favorite song. Period!

And I also love the Christmas CD with all the extra songs from that era too.

'The Way It Used To Be!' = m/

#19 of 117 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted April 27 2007 - 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman
Good lord!!! Braindance is still around?!?!?!

(BTW, on a similar note, Mr. So & So got back together after 6 years off and is working on a new album!)

LOL, the singer HATES that this is frequently the commentary he receives. Kind of a sore subject. Posted Image

But yes, they are still around, at least as a recording project. I was their bass player from 1997-1998 for recording and live shows, and I recorded the bass tracks for the last record, which took until 2001 to be released.

They're working on a new record and I did all the bass tracks last year. They're hoping for release this year. Things definitely move slow in their universe, but at least the end product is typically of high quality. Posted Image
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#20 of 117 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 30 2007 - 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bunk
LOL, the singer HATES that this is frequently the commentary he receives. Kind of a sore subject. Posted Image

Hee hee! I can understand that, but on the bright side, someone remembers 'em. Posted Image It's definitely cool that they're still around.

Quote:
But yes, they are still around, at least as a recording project. I was their bass player from 1997-1998 for recording and live shows, and I recorded the bass tracks for the last record, which took until 2001 to be released.

Say, did you play with them at the Rock 'n' Roll Cafe in the West Village? I think I saw them there around that time. That place used to have "Prog Rock Night" once a month. Unfortunately, it was always on a Wednesday, so hardly anyone showed up, and eventually they cancelled it. (The one time when the next day was a holiday, July 4th I believe, the joint was PACKED.) Fun while it lasted though.

Quote:
They're working on a new record and I did all the bass tracks last year. They're hoping for release this year. Things definitely move slow in their universe, but at least the end product is typically of high quality.

He's the Tom Scholtz of underground prog metal. Posted Image

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow