What's new

U-verse anyone? (1 Viewer)

Shana

Stunt Coordinator
After having both satellite companies come to my house and tell me I couldn't get reception, I was pretty bummed to the fact that I was stuck with only cable as an option. Sure, it's decent enough, but I want options.

What a surprise when I saw an advertisement in the mail from AT&T advertising their U-verse programming.

They are promising me all the channels I can want including 29 HD channels, all movie channels, sports package, 3 receivers, DVR that can record 4 channels at a time (WOW!), and high speed internet service for about $115 a month getting the first 2 months free. No contracts. I'm paying that much now for cable with 2 movie channels and DVR service, not including internet.

I call them and, how lucky am I, they DO offer this in my neighborhood, here in the DFW area. They are coming out in about 3 weeks to install. I was able to get them to do free installation too. It's normally $50.

Is it too good to be true? Why have I just now heard of this awesome service?

If you know anything about this service, please share with me!

Thanks so much,
Shana

V JACKSON

Agent
Its legit, I've know about it for some time, and they(AT&T) just began offering it in my area as well (SAT).....I've seem it in action at a friends house and its everything they claim it to be... The channel changing speed was very impressive, in fact "instant" changing with no lag time like on most satellite or cable boxes....... The internet modem has built in wireless router as well as 4 wired ethernet ports on it as well.... And yes the DVR does record 4 channels at once.. Only thing is that the basic internet speed is 1.5 mps download and you have to pay more if you want faster, but overall its a great deal!!!!!!!

MACPUN

Agent
Real Name
Mike
I got sign-up the other day and will be installed that Saturday after Thanksgiving!!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

I have a friend that works for AT&T and told me about right when the launched it off for the Austin area and thought what a great time to finally get HD TV. I got the u200 package and free HD programming for free for the first year. Also can't wait to see some of the interactive programming this thing can do like recording 4 programming at once and mobile record option.

"Cooler then Cable"

MACPUN

Agent
Real Name
Mike
Anyone else that has U-verse?!?!

I would love to hear about what you think about it.....good or bad.

:emoji_thumbsup: :thumbsdown:

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
My brother works for ATT and he had it installed a couple of months ago. So far it's been a big improvement over his cable company (he's never had Dish/DirecTV) but there have been a few growing pains. The remote is sometimes slow to re-act to the touch and Harmony apparently doesn't know the codes yet. Also, the music channels aren't quite up to Sirius/XM quality yet. Dish/DTV's offerings are much better. And he would like to be able to record in one room and watch it in another. There were also a few installation issues which were cleared up with a couple of phone calls and a second more knowledgable tech visit. There's supposed to be improvements coming in the near future but overall he's quite happy with it.

MACPUN

Agent
Real Name
Mike
Thanks Gene C for the info.
I would supect some hiccups in this (IP)-based video service.

MACPUN

Agent
Real Name
Mike
Well, I finally have U-verse installed after a couple days of uncertainty for installation problems. The install tech was new and had some problems with my "outside box". So, after calling more experience techs and another work crew to fix the "pedestal" box out in the neighborhood finally got my IP network running and working!! I must say this new technology is pretty cool and man, the HD picture is great!!! The fast channel changing is great and live PIP on the guide is very cool. All-in-all this is a great alternative to cable or dish with cool features.

BTW- did I mention that I’ll be able to watch the Cowboys vs Packers on Thursday in HD! :P
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
A tech is coming to my house tomorrow (May 30, 2008) to replace my Charter cable with AT&T U-Verse video and Internet. It will be interesting to see how it all hooks up and works together, as I have two TVs (one HD and one "regular"), three wired computers including one Mac, one Linux, and one Solaris, with port forwarding rules currently set up to each one, and two laptops currently connected wirelessly.

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
Holy crap, the U-Verse installation experience was pleasant and the service works great, no glitches or anything. The tech neatly installed everything and even neatly wrapped up the power cables for the Charter cable DVR and receiver box he disconnected. He set up both our TVs for U-Verse and got my wife's Mac laptop on the wireless LAN. The Internet is fast, the TV picture is clear, and the HD channels are many. I have no complaints about our AT&T experience so far.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Glad to hear it! Looks like they got their installers up to speed on the new technology. My brother is still waiting for DVR service and for Harmony to include U-Verse in it's data base so he can use the 670 I bought him for Christmas. But after 6 months or so he hasen't any complaints either.

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
I have a Harmony 890 remote and it works just fine with the U-Verse DVR. The DVR is a Motorola and its model number is like VIP1216 or something. Works great.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I'm getting the U-Verse hook-up on 10/10. Currently I have cable TV with TiVO and cable internet. I'll be getting a lot more doo-dads with U-Verse and saving $50 a month in the process.

I'd be interested to know if everyone is still happy with the set-up (especially those who have lived with it for awhile).

Thanks,

Jon

JohnRyan

Stunt Coordinator
Jon and David,
I'm considering getting AT&T U-verse. I currently have DISH with Dual DVR, HD via antenna. I'm just wondering what your thoughts are after using U-verse for a bit.

1) Can either of you compare the quality of the standard def picture with that of DISH or Comcast (or cable)?

2) How about the quality of HD? Do you experience pixelation of any sort?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks