Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best Buy Ends Mail-In Rebates in Canada

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   MikeH1

MikeH1

Screenwriter

• 1,498 posts

Posted April 10 2007 - 08:12 AM

Quote:
Hate mail in rebates? Best Buy feels your pain, if you're in Canada

Sick of mail-in rebates? Canadian consumers certainly are and Best Buy’s Canadian management hears their pain. Best Buy stores in Canada are putting an end to those pesky mail-in rebates that were so often used to advertise an attractive low price, only to be asterisked with tiny print specifying that the price was only after rebate, but before taxes.

And about god damn time. I actually have to give credit to Best Buy for this move, especially after the whole deceptive practice of trying to fool customers on prices with their own intranet website, perhaps this is just a way to make it up to the shoppers they have pissed off recentley...

I have sent in rebates before and either:

A: Its not filled in correctly as the letter that was returned to me stated (had this happen with my TV purchase - and the great thing is that it WAS filled in correctly)

B: Takes months to get the actual rebate.

C: Lucky if the rebate actually arrives at all.

Hopefully Future Shop will end rebates too as they are owned by Best Buy. As a matter of fact, I'm eagerly anticipating that this is the beginning of the end of the entire Mail-In Rebate Scam.

http://www.dailytech...spx?newsid=6818

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt

Producer

• 3,813 posts

Posted April 10 2007 - 08:30 AM

That's wonderful news

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   CRyan

CRyan

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts

Posted April 10 2007 - 09:12 AM

I read an article last year that stated they will end rebates accross all store markets by 2008. Although, "the instant rebates" will not offer as good a deal to the persistent consumer.

WIll be interesting to see how rivals handle this - they could continue to offer these and take business away from BB.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted April 10 2007 - 09:29 AM

My interpretation of a rebate:
  • You buy an item for $60
  • You hand the clerk a $100 bill
  • The clerk puts the $100 bill in the cash register and closes it.
  • The clerk then says "Someone in India has your change. Here's his address. You can write to him and ask him for you change back, if you want to."
Posted Image

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted April 11 2007 - 03:31 AM

What's great is that we won't be paying taxes on the "pre-rebate" price.

Although we'll lose the biggest rebates, I'll take the $80 instant rebate over the $100 mail in, especially when you figure after taxes it will only cost me $8.80 and I don't need to worry about never seeing my rebate..

Brent

#6 of 11 ONLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,656 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted April 11 2007 - 04:28 AM

I think my only good rebate experience was with Staples, I think which actually will email you the status of your rebate, including when they received it, processing, and when it should be mailed. Like most of you, I've forgotten rebates for so long that I am sometimes completely surprised when getting checks in the mail and I'm scratching my head what on earth is it for (is this spam???) and then going back 6 months and realizing..oohhhhh that's what this is from...

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted April 11 2007 - 04:36 AM

and don't forget about those who charge the item and then have to make interest payments (on their monthly statement) based on the full amount and not the after-rebated price. Posted Image

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Bonnie*F

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted April 11 2007 - 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHastings
My interpretation of a rebate:
  • You buy an item for $60
  • You hand the clerk a $100 bill
  • The clerk puts the $100 bill in the cash register and closes it.
  • The clerk then says "Someone in India has your change. Here's his address. You can write to him and ask him for you change back, if you want to."
Posted Image

BWA-ha-ha-ha Posted Image Posted Image

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted April 11 2007 - 08:54 AM

> Like most of you, I've forgotten rebates for so long that I am sometimes completely surprised when getting checks in the mail and I'm scratching my head what on earth is it for (is this spam???)

Spam? Is someone sending checks via email?

What I always thought sucked about rebates (other than half of them never arriving) was how blatantly they advertised the after-rebate price as if it were what you would pay in the store. And how about the ones where you have to send in several rebate offers for one purchase, like a PC?

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   James T

James T

Screenwriter

• 1,643 posts

Posted April 13 2007 - 02:04 AM

Quote:
Hopefully Future Shop will end rebates too as they are owned by Best Buy. As a matter of fact, I'm eagerly anticipating that this is the beginning of the end of the entire Mail-In Rebate Scam.

I just got a newsletter from Futureshop and it looks like they're ending it too.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   MikeH1

MikeH1

Screenwriter

• 1,498 posts

Posted April 13 2007 - 05:08 AM

Now THATS good news. Thanks for the info, James.

Forum Nav Content I Follow