What's new

Easter Parade Technicolor Restoration Laser lloks better than DVD (1 Viewer)

RobertGr

Second Unit
I wanted to see if anyone agrees that the EASTER PARADE Technicolor Restoration Laserdisc looks MUCH better than the ulta-rez dvd. The colors on the laser are rich and vibrant. On the dvd they pale in comparison, I feel Warner's missed the mark on the dvd. What is your opinion Mr and Mrs dvd buyer?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I think the washed out parts are during the fades, and from dupes. It seems that shots that were on either side of the dissolves went on a little too long. Also, the shot of Peter Lawford fading into the final scene is weird...it is in slow motion, then jumps. I also noticed the dvd cuts a second or two from the final shot, it fades quicker and the final note on the soundtrack doesn't have a natural end.

RobertGr

Second Unit
Scott

The thing about the dvd, nowhere on the packaging do they tout it as a Ultra-rez special edition and that is how it was presold I wonder if it really was. I wish Warner's would explain why the laser looks richer and more vibrant! This year I watched the laser instead of the dvd for Easter!

RobertGr

Second Unit
The only way the dvd looks decent on my JVC monitor is to lower the contrast and pump up the color. Compared to the SINGIN IN THE RAIN ultra-rez EASTER PARADE looks sickly!

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I agree that it is the weakest of the recent restorations. Most of the time WB hits the ball out of the park, but there are exceptions. This is one of them. Also, Summer Stock is missing a "Hey!" after a Kelly/Silvers number...they just mouth the words on the dvd.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

None of the Warner Ultra-rez discs (even the first one "Adventures of Robin Hood") tout the words anywhere on the packaging. We only know that they were Ultra-rez from the press releases.

RobertGr

Second Unit
Thanks Scott

On picture quality. I have SINGIN IN THE RAIN, ADV OF ROBIN HOOD, THE WIZARD OF OZ. GWTW, EASTER PARADE and MEET ME IN ST LOUIS dvd's and EASTER PARADE on dvd pales in comparison to them and the laserdisc too.

The only problem on the lasersidisc was the bit muddy soundtrack. Now if Warners could have gotten the vibrant colors of the laser and the dvd soundtrack then EASTER PARADE would have ranked up there with the best of the Warner's restorations. Now it really seems to be their weakest.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
or maybe when the laser was pressed the transfer was horribly marred by excessively pumping the color and contrast levels to make it look 'better' on crappy regular color tvs with only a composite connection. No one seems to be considering that the laser was wildly inaccurate, they're just assuming the dvd was, I'd put money on the DVD more accurately representing what the film is supposed to look like.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I just compared my laserdisc to the dvd, and my dvd has much stronger color and richer black levels, not to mention sharpness.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
I am no expert at all on such matters, but I could not be happier with the image and sound of Easter Parade :)

RobertGr

Second Unit
Hopefully someone can post frame grabs from the laser and dvd. I just watched the Laser again and it is a stunningly vibrant image. The dvd looks like the transfer that has been on TCM for many years!

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
And there is no doubt that the dvd cuts some frames off at the end of the film. I've compared. The music cuts of in an unnatural way as well.

RobertGr

Second Unit
Great comparison, funny thing my laser looks like your right side and my dvd looks like your left side!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks