What's new

Before I take the Mac leap (3 Viewers)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I've researched, plotted, planned and pestered some folks here about buying my first Mac. Planning on buying next weekend in fact. But before I do, I have two more questions.

1. I've heard a new line is upcoming soon but I don't know when that is. Is there any reason to postspone the purchase (iMac, 20") in light of this info, such as price reductions on the iMac or something so amazing coming I'd be better off waiting?

2. Does anyone know if there are any bit torrent programs compatible with the Mac? Nothing illegal behind this question, I use it to d/l live shows by "taper friendly" bands.

Thanks.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The latest OS 10.5 is anticipated at the end of June, so you may want to hold off.

Not sure if recommending a torrent program will violate HTF rules, but if you go to versiontracker.com you will easily find options.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
My apologies to the HT staff if the torrent question was a rule violation...no intent to do that on my part.

Cameron, I'd be able to upgrade to the new OS, right?

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
It's true if you want to hold off until June you could get your new machine with the next major update to the operating system pre-installed. If you buy now and want to upgrade the OS in June, it will probably set you back about $130 (could be more or less...the $130 is consistent with the last several OS updates.)

It's been more than 6 months since the last iMac refresh, so I'd expect an update before too long. Whether that will be before OS 10.5 is released is a big question mark. I'm in the camp that believes it will be earlier rather than later. Even though it pisses off some people no end that they buy a new computer and have to pay for an operating system upgrade a month or two later, it provides an extra revenue stream for Apple so I think they are in favor of it. Just a note...although it's not guaranteed, it seems new hardware releases are always timed like new DVD releases...they always seem to get announced on a Tuesday. :)

I wouldn't expect any huge price drops. Usually when a new machine comes out, the pricing is close to the previous model, only you get better performance and more features for the money. Of course, you would be able to buy an EOL (end of life) machine for a couple hundred bucks less once the new models are announced.

There are Torrent clients for the Mac. They're becoming mainsream now and aren't just for illegal file sharing. A lot of software companies now use it to provide downloads of their latest demo software.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Carl - The iMac pricepoints have been consistant through most revisions. Next up will most likely be a bump to 2.66 or 3.0 in the top model (perhaps only the 24, with the 20 getting 2.66)

Best advice - get in and use, don't wait. The performance bumps on iMacs are small leaps over each year cycle.

The only recent move from Apple was the 8 core Mac Pro last week, and it did not include any boost in memory bandwidth, etc. Just a bump in the existing lineup.

OS 10.5 is available June 11, so 60 days will save you 130.00 bucks.

Good Luck
E

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
You should also check out the refurbished section on the Apple Store online. They often have great savings on machines, and they look like new, just don't come in the fancy boxes, just plain brown ones. Big deal :).

-Christian

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I have one question about Macs in general since I am pretty much convinced to go whole hog and get a new Mac now that I've been playing with my used G-4 - can a Mac be used as a HTPC (HTMac)? Is there any PVR software, tuner cards, etc. out there?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The best time to buy a computer is always tomorrow :) (DaveF's first law of computer buying. The second is to not look at computer prices for the six months following a purchase.)

I've committed to not buying a new computer / new Mac until the inevitable hardware / price refresh and OSX 10.5 release. But no one knows when this will be. Leopard is predicted for anywhere between tomorrow and June 21, unless it's held off until October due to quality problems...

Hardware refresh? Who knows. I expect something when 10.5 comes out. But I'm not known for my powers of prognostication.

Long story short (too late!), buy your Mac next week if you need it, if not buying will hinder your work and goals. If you don't need it, and are willing to wait maybe late June to buy, then join me in the waiting game. And read the rumors sites with bated breath :)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Thanks eveyone. I don't think I'll be waiting in light of the info you've all given me here. The HD on my PC has been clicking for a couple of months now (I've backed it up on an external drive and have my essentials on a laptop just in case), it started to buzz a couple of days ago and it takes about 16 minutes now to start up, and about 8 minutes to shut down. No virus', no spyware and no idea what's wrong with it.

I'm ready, finally....hopefully, I'll be as happy as Ron is in a couple of weeks. :)

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
There's 2 more events in the next month or so where Apple is expected to announce the new lineup, one is on April 15th I believe (WWDC) and another one in a few months (NAB). The rumor sites say that the new lineup should be announced at either one. Of course it's just rumor at this point but it might be worth waiting just a little while longer...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Normally, I'm also not one to counsel on waiting.

HOWEVER...

With Leopard around the corner, there Mac rumor mill about line refreshes (including the iMac) are in high gear.

There seems to be reliable word that the iMac refresh will not just be a speed bump, but a complete redesign externally and internally. Maybe not revolutionary, but more than just a speed bump. One thing I'm interested in before buying an iMac is:

1) Upping the RAM FSB to 800 MHz, which the new Intel Santa Rosa chipset is supposed to do (and should be part of the iMac refresh).

2) Increasing the RAM limit from 3GB to 4GB (or more). I'm hoping the new iMacs will allow that, though there isn't definitive word on it.

3) Better video card options. Especially if you plan to Bootcamp Vista and want the best visuals enabled.

Also, the Apple Cinema Displays just dropped in price, presumably to clear inventory for the new Cinema displays (with improvements I'm sure the iMac refresh will also have).

If this were January 2007 or earlier, I'd say buy and enjoy!

But it's almost mid-April. Leopard is scheduled to ship in early June. My guess is that the line refreshes will come out around that time. That's only 8 weeks away. More concrete rumors (oxymoron alert) from the Mac fan sites (for Apple doesn't comment on unreleased/unannounced products) will surface by May, which would enable you to have a better idea of what's coming out in June to help make your decision easier. Apple generally refreshes once a year or so. If you wait and buy in June, it's not like something new will come out in September. More likely you'll have the latest and greatest for a year. If you buy now, you'll get fine hardware, but this June might bring some pretty nifty new features on the hardware side which you'll miss out on.

In this case, unless you need the hardware right away, I'd wait.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

I can easily help you with that.

Click Here

Highly rated! Works as well as any such program I have used with XP.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Your hard-drive is not long for this world. You should stop using it immediately, verify your backups from it are good, and replace it.

My experience is that hard-drives make clicking noises when they have mechanical failures and so are walking dead.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Carlo --

Any rumors about refreshed MacBook Pro models?

I hope they update the video card options in the iMacs -- the current options are laughably outdated.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Hi Michael,

I use my MacMini as an HTPC and am very happy. Yes there is PVR software/gizmos: I have Elgato's EyeTV 2.3 software as well EyeTV 500 & 200 devices and am super happy with them. The 500 & 200 are now OOP and have been succeeded by the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid USB stick which does both over the air HDTV (DT) and analog TV. There is other options in both hardware and software from Miglia and MythTV.

I also have my entire CD collection ripped to AppleLossless format and use optical digital out from the Mini to my receiver.
So my Mini doubles as a CD player & DVR, as well as playing audio/video Podcasts & iTunes material.

Ted

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ted - thanks for the link. (Always good information from the most beloved guy on the forum, unlike certain others... ;))

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks