What's new

Did BDA use fake forum accounts & blogs created to promote Blu-Ray - "Phase Hydra"? (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I didnt think this was news. I have seen guys on both sides (HD and BD) that you would swear must work for "someone". Of course a few of those guys are gone now. But i am sure if we have more...they will show their true colors.

Pete T C

Second Unit

Yeah, there are guys like myself who are passionate about one format or the other (HD DVD in my case). It just makes me a bit angry when we hear about corporations paying people to spam message boards and attempt to sink HD DVD morale and bolster Blu-Ray morale in this case. It adds nothing constructive to the debate and it isn't even real people debating - just marketeers.

It looks like AVSFORUM and other sites are taking this seriously, searching IPs to try to weed out viral BD marketers from "Phase Hydra".

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Pete, there are numerous avid posters on AVS that seem to be doing anything they can to put Sony and Blu-Ray in bad light. I would be suspious about this so called in sider. It can be a very hostile atmosphere at AVS when the "fan boys" get going. There are some names that appear many times daily with some AVS posters listed as only joining 2-3 months ago with 2-3 thousand posts.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
as someone on AVS proffered, the next step will be corps trying to buy the identites of long time forum users (who may have stopped using the boards for a while for whatever reasons) who have no controversial posting histories.

I have no doubt that's coming soon, if not already here.

and yeah, there are many posters over on AVS with join dates just a few months old and already several thousands posts to their credit.
who the hell would be posting that much without some economic incentive somewhere?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I really hate disingenuous thread titles. The title of this thread basically states that the BDA has admitted to falsifying forum accounts. I open this thread to read up on this "bombshell" news and what do I find? Some account of a hacker allegedly cracking a BDA promotional server and learning about a guerilla marketing campaign with the fanciful code name "Phase Hydra". Shades of GI JOE!! What's next? Are we going to find out that the BDA is secretly run by Cobra Commander?

What I don't find is any evidence that the BDA has actually admitted to any campaign of any sort. Not that such a campaign may not exist. It may. But so far, the only thing that exists is the lack of any actual admittance by the BDA that such a fancifully named campaign is being executed. Therefore, the title of this thread is, at this time, completely false and should be changed to "Hacker, committing illegal act, alleges that BDA is running a guerilla marketing campaign".

Furthermore, even it is true it is not like the BDA is the only group engaging in such campaigns. I'm sure the HD DVD promotion group has plenty of paid hacks signing up on message boards to beat the HD DVD drum.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Um..wow. You'd think that AVS unearthed the plot to assassinate JFK. :rolleyes:Having a bit of experience in the slimy corporate world, "plants" or "moles" are nothing new.

However this just looks to me like an excuse to start a witchhunt against posters with opposing viewpoints. Too many people seem to be "consumed" by this format war.. it begs the phrase "get a life".

There's a reason I have an AVS account but have only posted once and it wasn't in the High-def area.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
If true, definitely slimey. However the name "Phase Hydra" just sounds a little too James-Bondish for me to take it too seriously.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd

So are you equally angry at Toshiba or Microsoft since they pretty much do the same thing?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
It is slimey...and both may do it. We don't know...but a tactic like this (if true) shows some insecurity from the BD camp. If one believes the war was over back in Feb when some BD folks were stating that & add that they have most of the studios; why not let the product speak for itself instead of creating something fake?

Surely there's more to this.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd

I think I saw "Phase Hydra" written on the bottom of the hatch in Lost. :)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

yeah, you lump this together with all the CES trash talking and over the top quotes from Parsons and Dunn, then add in all the Fox title pulls and it really looks like the BDA, for all its firepower has a case of neurotic insecurity.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
What is the motivation to have format logos as personal signatures?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Not unlike displaying any other picture there. To express one's pleasure with and high hopes for the format, no doubt. Isn't that rather obvious?

Cees

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Like the man said, why is this surprising or even considered big news? You can be pretty sure both camps are doing this kind of stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks