Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Did BDA use fake forum accounts & blogs created to promote Blu-Ray - "Phase Hydra"?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#1 of 54 OFFLINE   Pete T C

Pete T C

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted April 04 2007 - 12:43 PM

Leaked today 4/4 on AVSFORUM by a longtime, reliable AVS insider who hacked the BDA's promo server (he did this once before and gained much info in advance that was later confirmed):
http://www.avsforum.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA Meeting in Fukuoka
The BDA has formally kicked off a new PR campaign called "Phase Hydra"....its purpose is to seed "high profile" forums with Blu-ray advocates and target bloggers to promote Blu-ray to get the word out to the world...the campaign will also focus on "smaller, independent studio issues"...

Coming from Sony, the company that created fake movie reviewers to promote their theatrical releases as well as fake PSP users to promote the PSP for XMAS 2006 (iwantapspforxmas).

Some links for those unaware of Sony's forays into this field in the past:
http://en.wikipedia.......ious_writer)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zipatoni
http://kotaku.com/ga....ers-212003.php

And more, from the hacker of the BDA's server with the confidential info:

http://www.avsforum.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA Server Hacker
I can't tell if some people think me guilty of making all this up or not, but I assure you, there is a "Phase Hydra" campaign underway...I can't verify what websites/forums/blogs are involved, though. And yes, I agree that the HD DVD PRG likely has a similar campaign, only smaller and relying on people with less bandwidth to post.

The BDA even has a picture of a hydra they are using to generate internal awareness at BDA events

P.S. I never thought this little trifle would generate so much discussion--I kind of assumed we were already witness to this type of stuff and I was just verifying the name. I've only had two posts here deleted by the mods, the first being when I posted Warner's original HD DVD rollout schedule, and now this (my question in the Insider's thread was deleted, but the damage was already done). Spooky...

Amir's response?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir
Damn, is there something you don't know Alex?

If we ever write a book on this whole story, we need to dedicate a chapter to you .

Wonder how many people will get what we are talking about....

Confirmed by Microsoft, as well, it seems.

Has HTF been targetted? We are pretty "high profile," thats for sure.
For every shadow, no matter how deep, is threatened by morning light.

#2 of 54 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted April 04 2007 - 01:19 PM

I didnt think this was news. I have seen guys on both sides (HD and BD) that you would swear must work for "someone". Of course a few of those guys are gone now. But i am sure if we have more...they will show their true colors.

#3 of 54 OFFLINE   Pete T C

Pete T C

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted April 04 2007 - 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickER
I didnt think this was news. I have seen guys on both sides (HD and BD) that you would swear must work for "someone". Of course a few of those guys are gone now. But i am sure if we have more...they will show their true colors.

Yeah, there are guys like myself who are passionate about one format or the other (HD DVD in my case). It just makes me a bit angry when we hear about corporations paying people to spam message boards and attempt to sink HD DVD morale and bolster Blu-Ray morale in this case. It adds nothing constructive to the debate and it isn't even real people debating - just marketeers.

It looks like AVSFORUM and other sites are taking this seriously, searching IPs to try to weed out viral BD marketers from "Phase Hydra".
For every shadow, no matter how deep, is threatened by morning light.

#4 of 54 OFFLINE   Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor

• 557 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted April 04 2007 - 01:34 PM

Pete, there are numerous avid posters on AVS that seem to be doing anything they can to put Sony and Blu-Ray in bad light. I would be suspious about this so called in sider. It can be a very hostile atmosphere at AVS when the "fan boys" get going. There are some names that appear many times daily with some AVS posters listed as only joining 2-3 months ago with 2-3 thousand posts.

#5 of 54 OFFLINE   Brian Sheffield

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted April 04 2007 - 02:03 PM

So?

Does this really effect any of us?

Even if true, it's standard procedure to tune out the rabid.

#6 of 54 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted April 04 2007 - 02:34 PM

as someone on AVS proffered, the next step will be corps trying to buy the identites of long time forum users (who may have stopped using the boards for a while for whatever reasons) who have no controversial posting histories.

I have no doubt that's coming soon, if not already here.

and yeah, there are many posters over on AVS with join dates just a few months old and already several thousands posts to their credit.
who the hell would be posting that much without some economic incentive somewhere?

#7 of 54 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,647 posts

Posted April 04 2007 - 04:43 PM

I really hate disingenuous thread titles. The title of this thread basically states that the BDA has admitted to falsifying forum accounts. I open this thread to read up on this "bombshell" news and what do I find? Some account of a hacker allegedly cracking a BDA promotional server and learning about a guerilla marketing campaign with the fanciful code name "Phase Hydra". Shades of GI JOE!! What's next? Are we going to find out that the BDA is secretly run by Cobra Commander?

What I don't find is any evidence that the BDA has actually admitted to any campaign of any sort. Not that such a campaign may not exist. It may. But so far, the only thing that exists is the lack of any actual admittance by the BDA that such a fancifully named campaign is being executed. Therefore, the title of this thread is, at this time, completely false and should be changed to "Hacker, committing illegal act, alleges that BDA is running a guerilla marketing campaign".

Furthermore, even it is true it is not like the BDA is the only group engaging in such campaigns. I'm sure the HD DVD promotion group has plenty of paid hacks signing up on message boards to beat the HD DVD drum.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#8 of 54 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted April 04 2007 - 09:10 PM

Damn, my cover is blown! Posted Image

#9 of 54 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted April 04 2007 - 11:54 PM

Um..wow. You'd think that AVS unearthed the plot to assassinate JFK. Posted Image Having a bit of experience in the slimy corporate world, "plants" or "moles" are nothing new.

However this just looks to me like an excuse to start a witchhunt against posters with opposing viewpoints. Too many people seem to be "consumed" by this format war.. it begs the phrase "get a life".

There's a reason I have an AVS account but have only posted once and it wasn't in the High-def area.

Death before Streaming!

#10 of 54 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,057 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted April 05 2007 - 01:10 AM

Both sides do it. Of that I have no doubt.

#11 of 54 OFFLINE   Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,171 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted April 05 2007 - 01:11 AM

If true, definitely slimey. However the name "Phase Hydra" just sounds a little too James-Bondish for me to take it too seriously.

#12 of 54 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,057 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted April 05 2007 - 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete T C
Yeah, there are guys like myself who are passionate about one format or the other (HD DVD in my case). It just makes me a bit angry when we hear about corporations paying people to spam message boards and attempt to sink HD DVD morale and bolster Blu-Ray morale in this case. It adds nothing constructive to the debate and it isn't even real people debating - just marketeers.

So are you equally angry at Toshiba or Microsoft since they pretty much do the same thing?

#13 of 54 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,670 posts

Posted April 05 2007 - 01:38 AM

It is slimey...and both may do it. We don't know...but a tactic like this (if true) shows some insecurity from the BD camp. If one believes the war was over back in Feb when some BD folks were stating that & add that they have most of the studios; why not let the product speak for itself instead of creating something fake?

Surely there's more to this.

#14 of 54 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,057 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted April 05 2007 - 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Kettell
If true, definitely slimey. However the name "Phase Hydra" just sounds a little too James-Bondish for me to take it too seriously.

I think I saw "Phase Hydra" written on the bottom of the hatch in Lost. Posted Image

#15 of 54 OFFLINE   Jim-J

Jim-J

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted April 05 2007 - 02:24 AM

This is interesting news. [Adjusts Tin-Foil hat]
"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding"--Ra's Al Ghul

#16 of 54 OFFLINE   Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,259 posts

Posted April 05 2007 - 04:43 AM

Commencing "Warm Liquid Goo" Phase!
-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#17 of 54 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted April 05 2007 - 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover
It is slimey...and both may do it. We don't know...but a tactic like this (if true) shows some insecurity from the BD camp. If one believes the war was over back in Feb when some BD folks were stating that & add that they have most of the studios; why not let the product speak for itself instead of creating something fake?

Surely there's more to this.

yeah, you lump this together with all the CES trash talking and over the top quotes from Parsons and Dunn, then add in all the Fox title pulls and it really looks like the BDA, for all its firepower has a case of neurotic insecurity.

#18 of 54 OFFLINE   Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted April 05 2007 - 08:39 AM

What is the motivation to have format logos as personal signatures?

#19 of 54 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,651 posts

Posted April 05 2007 - 09:19 AM

Not unlike displaying any other picture there. To express one's pleasure with and high hopes for the format, no doubt. Isn't that rather obvious?

Cees

#20 of 54 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Screenwriter

• 2,692 posts

Posted April 05 2007 - 09:30 AM

Quote:
I kind of assumed we were already witness to this type of stuff and I was just verifying the name.

Like the man said, why is this surprising or even considered big news? You can be pretty sure both camps are doing this kind of stuff.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow