Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Larry Sanders Season 1 - Again?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Producer

• 3,133 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted April 04 2007 - 07:46 AM

I was looking at the bits upcoming releases art page, and next to the Sanders Best of set was a new packaging for the First Season, apparantly to be released again on the same day.

Does this mean that they're going to relaunch season sets if these releases do well? I remember Gord Lacey from TVShows on DVD saying something about Garry Shandling being the one to nix the season sets, and not Columbia.

I know this was one of the earliest TV Season sets to come out, and I never got it because of the price (over $50 for 13 eps) the new list is a bit more reasonable ($39) and will sell for around $30 probably.

I might get it this time around to show support for more seasons, but the best of set looks to have great extras - however I don't want to encourage anyone to not do more season sets (or own 20 odd eps twice...)

I wonder if theyre thinking of doing bare bones seasons and having the best of with extras?

If anyone has thoughts or news, you know what to do...
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#2 of 19 Stephen Ford

Stephen Ford

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted April 04 2007 - 11:29 PM

If you want more Larry on dvd I would buy both as if you only get season 1 I doubt any more will come out.

#3 of 19 Eric_Bee

Eric_Bee

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted April 05 2007 - 02:28 AM

The way I see it, as the upcoming set will contain about 1/4 of the show's episodes, positive sales might lead to the release three similar sets, one after the other, which will thus constitute the complete series run, albeit not in season sets.

#4 of 19 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Producer

• 3,133 posts

Posted April 05 2007 - 06:58 AM

I dont think they'd do anything else like "not just the best of" They'd just put out the last 4 seasons as sets.

I'm not worried as I have all 89 eps, but it would be nice to have them on DVD.

#5 of 19 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted April 05 2007 - 10:11 AM

They're just releasing season 1 again because of all the added publicity around the "best of" release. When someone walks into the store they'll see season 1 alongside the "best of" and possibly buy both. There's no indication that this means they'll release season 2, as Garry Shandling has shown little interest in the season sets, which is why they're doing a "best of"

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#6 of 19 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Producer

• 3,133 posts

Posted April 05 2007 - 05:15 PM

Thats what I thought, but at least it has new packaging, and I bet it will be in Sony's beloved slimcases as opposed to the fold out packaging of the 2001 version.

My hope is that after Garry's extras orgy, he'll decide not to care about if Sony continues with the series, and they will (with the chic new packaging)

#7 of 19 Mark Lx

Mark Lx

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted April 06 2007 - 05:53 AM

I'm going to get the "best of" set. Hope they release more, but whatever.

Ricky Gervais told Garry Shandling he looks like Bingo from the Banana Splits (Shandling today, not then). And you what, he does. LOL

#8 of 19 MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 572 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted April 08 2007 - 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein
Thats what I thought, but at least it has new packaging, and I bet it will be in Sony's beloved slimcases as opposed to the fold out packaging of the 2001 version.

Wasn't this one of the early releases that suffered from over-compression?

If they're they same discs in a new case, they still won't be buyable.
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

#9 of 19 Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted April 12 2007 - 07:39 AM

The transfers on that first-season set were horrible.

#10 of 19 Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted May 22 2007 - 07:01 AM

Can anyone confirm if these are new transfers?

Or am I going to have to be the guinea pig?

I just noticed these today @ Frys, and remembered the issues
with the transfers on the original run of S1 from HBO.

#11 of 19 David Levine

David Levine

Supporting Actor

• 502 posts

Posted May 22 2007 - 07:13 AM

With how poorly it sold the first time, I doubt they went to the expense of new transfers.

It wouldn't surprise me if they are even the same discs, just in new packaging.

#12 of 19 Mark Lx

Mark Lx

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted May 22 2007 - 09:09 AM

Actually, Garry mentions on the "Best of" set (in an interview or comentary or something) that he may want to do another volume (best of).

#13 of 19 Ravi K

Ravi K

Supporting Actor

• 707 posts

Posted August 07 2007 - 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Levine
With how poorly it sold the first time, I doubt they went to the expense of new transfers.

I just picked up season 1 and, like many others, are dismayed at the video quality. The pilot looks the worst, but the other episodes are still not as good as they should be.

Ideally Columbia Tristar would go back to the original film and video elements, but I don't see that happening Posted Image

#14 of 19 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,992 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 07 2007 - 05:07 PM

I would guess that part of the reason the original S1 release sold poorly is the awful transfer quality. On Amazon.com, all the bad reviews for the set are along the lines of "great show, horrible transfer". Couple that with a $59.99 MSRP for 13 episodes, and you've got a recipe for a sales disaster.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#15 of 19 Mike*SC

Mike*SC

Second Unit

• 260 posts

Posted August 07 2007 - 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
I would guess that part of the reason the original S1 release sold poorly is the awful transfer quality.
Possibly, but what we have to face here is that the show -- brilliant though it was -- was always a ratings disaster. It always lost a huge share of the "Dream On" audience, and when they switched the order, "Dream On" gained a huge audience coming out of the miserable "Sanders" numbers. It's a shame, because I consider this one of the very best television shows of all time, but nobody really watched it. One could make the case that the DVD-buying audience might be more inclined to watch the show, but then, you could make a similar case about the HBO audience, and it wasn't true.

#16 of 19 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,212 posts

Posted August 07 2007 - 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike*SC
Possibly, but what we have to face here is that the show -- brilliant though it was -- was always a ratings disaster. It always lost a huge share of the "Dream On" audience, and when they switched the order, "Dream On" gained a huge audience coming out of the miserable "Sanders" numbers. It's a shame, because I consider this one of the very best television shows of all time, but nobody really watched it. One could make the case that the DVD-buying audience might be more inclined to watch the show, but then, you could make a similar case about the HBO audience, and it wasn't true.

I'm not doubting the above at all, but am curious about one thing. If this did so poorly for HBO why did they keep it on for about 7 years? Was it because it was the favorite of many in the industry and relatively cheap to make? Certainly the producers never lacked for big name guest stars.
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#17 of 19 Mike*SC

Mike*SC

Second Unit

• 260 posts

Posted August 08 2007 - 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve...O
If this did so poorly for HBO why did they keep it on for about 7 years?
It was so well regarded in the industry that HBO kept it on for the Emmy nominations and the critical praise. HBO's model works differently, obviously, from ad-supported networks. When one of their signature series comes on (historically, "Sex and the City," "Sopranos," "Six Feet Under," etc.), people subscribe to HBO, even if they don't ultimately wind up watching the show. And then, inertia being what it is, many of those people never get around to canceling their subscription. Also, the creative credibility an early show like "Larry Sanders" gave HBO paved the way for their later hits, like the ones above.

#18 of 19 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,992 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 08 2007 - 03:16 AM

I had no idea the show was so low-rated and kept on the air exclusively for prestige.

Dream On didn't do too well on DVD either, apparently.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#19 of 19 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,212 posts

Posted August 08 2007 - 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike*SC
It was so well regarded in the industry that HBO kept it on for the Emmy nominations and the critical praise. HBO's model works differently, obviously, from ad-supported networks. When one of their signature series comes on (historically, "Sex and the City," "Sopranos," "Six Feet Under," etc.), people subscribe to HBO, even if they don't ultimately wind up watching the show. And then, inertia being what it is, many of those people never get around to canceling their subscription. Also, the creative credibility an early show like "Larry Sanders" gave HBO paved the way for their later hits, like the ones above.

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate the response. I remember LS being "must see" TV when it was on. I just loved it. I had no idea that it was doing so poorly for the network.
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow