Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

CBS Announces Gunsmoke Season 1

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 of 39 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,212 posts

Posted July 22 2007 - 02:51 PM

According to Stuart Galbraith:

Quote:

The back of the DVD ominously warns that "some episodes may be edited from their original network versions." However, the shows all seem complete and not-time-compressed, each running about 26-and-a-half minutes. Possibly CBS / Paramount is referring to the "brought to you by..." plugs for the show's sponsor that immediately followed Matt's opening titles gunfight, which here have the same abrupt fade-out as seen in syndication. But even the show's ads are included as an Extra Feature: On disc one, Matt and Doc extol the virtues of L&M cigarettes. (Mmmm. Smooth.)

So it appears that nothing has really been edited out of the show proper. While it would have been nice to see some vintage ads as originally presented, this is, in my opinion, not worthy of getting too upset about.

Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#22 of 39 Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 12:51 AM

DVD Talk review here: http://www.dvdtalk.c...ad.php?ID=29292

#23 of 39 Ivan G

Ivan G

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted July 23 2007 - 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverking
I think the episode called 'Night Incident' the reels had been put on in the wrong order so the plot started in the middle & then jumped back to the beginning !

This is the first episode I checked when I opened up the Gunsmoke set yesterday. Thankfully, they fixed the problem.
"Life is in color...but black-and-white is more realistic." -- Samuel Fuller, director

My DVD Collection

#24 of 39 Guest_silverking_*

Guest_silverking_*

Posted July 23 2007 - 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan G
This is the first episode I checked when I opened up the Gunsmoke set yesterday. Thankfully, they fixed the problem.

Thanks for that Ivan. I am looking forward to receiving this set. On the old Columbia House issues there was a marked difference in quality between those episodes they had previously remastered for video release & those they hadn't. I know the episode 'The Preacher' with Chuck Conners had a 'boot hill' opening from a different segment tacked on, but when issued in the 50th anniversary edition it was corrected.

Does anyone actually remember the original broadcast opening of 'Gunsmoke'.
Here in the UK it was retitled 'Gun Law' for some obscure reason.The opening showed a close up of a six-gun being fired ,followed by another & then another & so on until the whole screen was filled with - well gunsmoke.! I have often wondered if this opening was purely shot for the UK.

#25 of 39 jdee28

jdee28

Supporting Actor

• 996 posts

Posted July 24 2007 - 04:03 AM

I saw a half hour episode of Gunsmoke at the Museum of TV and Radio with original commercials and it began with a cigarette carton and the announcer saying "L&M cigarettes presents..." The center of the carton dissolved to Matt Dillion on Boot Hill, and the scene spread out from there, filling the tv screen. There was no gunfight sequence or anything else to open the show; just cigarette advertising.

#26 of 39 Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted July 24 2007 - 05:11 AM

It's been months since I watched them, but I'd swear the first season episodes I saw on the 50th Anniversary set had both the gunfight opening and Boot Hill intros with Arness.

#27 of 39 Doug^Ch

Doug^Ch

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted July 24 2007 - 06:00 AM

I think any first season episode that has Matt killing a bad guy has the Boot Hill Introductions. I've noticed that the episodes where Matt does not kill anyone does not seem to have them. Anyone have any idea how many men Matt killed over the course of 635 episodes? I would really like to know.

I just finished watching "The Guitar" episode, which has future billionaire Aaron Spelling, the sweet, milquetoast, ExYankee soldier who rides a Burro and plays a guitar and is put upon by the meanest couple of drunks that ever lived. Never has "hometown justice" been sweeter in the history of Hollywood than in this particular episode. Sam Peckinpah's story is simply brilliant.

#28 of 39 jdee28

jdee28

Supporting Actor

• 996 posts

Posted July 25 2007 - 04:29 AM

As an owner of all the previous incarnations of these shows, primarily though Columbia House on VHS and DVD, but even the Gunsmoke 50th Anniversary release, this release is far and away the best I've seen these shows look. Kudos to CBS/Paramount on these brand new transfers. Mine came with a sticker that said "Finally! All 39 Classic Episodes from the First Season." My sentiments exactly. Hopefully it'll sell well and we can see more seasons. It currently has a pretty high sales number on Amazon.

On another note, compare these transfers to the ones in Have Gun - Will Travel Season 1, and you can see how that release should have looked had they done new transfers back then.

#29 of 39 Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted July 25 2007 - 05:04 PM

I'm watching my first season set now and love it! Indeed, it's been a long time in waiting. I really like the packaging of the dvds. 20 seasons won't take up as much space as I thought they would. I wish all tv season sets were like this. I think I'll eventually get the Director's Collection just for the commentaries.

#30 of 39 jdee28

jdee28

Supporting Actor

• 996 posts

Posted August 22 2007 - 04:31 AM

An update on the CBS/Paramount syndication bible site reports that episodes 1 to 78 of Gunsmoke have been transferred to HD. Hopefully that means we'll be seeing Season 2 on DVD before long.

#31 of 39 Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted August 23 2007 - 01:06 AM

As just a casual viewer of this show over the year, which Gunsmoke collection would you experts recomend to this novice? If I like what you recomend, will there be much duplication in the Season 1 set?

Thanks for your help...

#32 of 39 Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted August 23 2007 - 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Cleveland
As just a casual viewer of this show over the year, which Gunsmoke collection would you experts recomend to this novice? If I like what you recomend, will there be much duplication in the Season 1 set?

Thanks for your help...

Been waiting all day for a response... Which set do you recommend? The 50th Anniversary Set or the Director's Set?

#33 of 39 Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted August 23 2007 - 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Cleveland
Been waiting all day for a response... Which set do you recommend? The 50th Anniversary Set or the Director's Set?
The 50th Anniversary Set is the superior of the two (actually 3 in this case).
Make sure you get Volumes 1 & 2 in the combined box of both of the anniversary collections.

#34 of 39 jdee28

jdee28

Supporting Actor

• 996 posts

Posted August 23 2007 - 07:05 PM

If picture quality is your main concern, I'd recommend the director's collection. All the episodes in this set were given a new digital transfer from original elements. With the 50th Anniversary collection, many episodes weren't. The color episodes in particular look horrible, as if something you'd see on TV Land. Also, one of the color episodes, "Quaker Girl," is cut, running only 46:30, not the original 50:20.

#35 of 39 Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted August 23 2007 - 07:12 PM

The picture quality in the color episodes was to be expected (unremastered), and "Quaker Girl" with William Shatner is one of the worst episodes anyway....which is uncharacteristic of a mostly excellent 12th season.

The 50th Anniversary collection is the best choice, because it has audio commentaries by James Arness, Bruce Dern, Angie Dickinson, etc. and more extras than the other set.

#36 of 39 jdee28

jdee28

Supporting Actor

• 996 posts

Posted August 24 2007 - 03:57 AM

The color episodes in the director's edition look great though, fully remastered, in keeping with the quality of CBS/Paramount's Hawaii Five O, Wild Wild West, and Mission: Impossible releases. It's too bad they weren't able to do that with the color episodes on the 50th Anniversary release.

#37 of 39 Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted August 25 2007 - 01:54 AM

Thanks to everyone for your help. I purchased the 50th Anniversary box sets used from Amazon to save a little money. I hope that works out for me.

Normally picture quality and color is very important to me. However, I felt for what I was looking for, a good overview of the program, the Anniversary collection would give me a feel for the development of the series over time. To have a couple of episodes from each season should help me see it's evolution. I would hope if season sets continue to be released, and I buy them, the color issues would be reolved. I assume picture quality for Season 1 is top knotch, is it not?

A couple of reviews said Gunsmoke was the first Western serial. That to me would say it was a continuing story line. My memories of Gunsmoke don't support that comment.

Do you suppose the reviewers meant the development of characters over time?

#38 of 39 TRunfalo

TRunfalo

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted August 19 2012 - 12:54 AM

Season 2: 1956-1957

#39 of 39 Guest_silverking_*

Guest_silverking_*

Posted August 19 2012 - 07:28 AM

Gunsmoke was never a 'serial' in the accepted sense of the word, Just a continuing series with the same characters.In fact they changed very little over the whole 20 seasons,other than cast changes. Curiously I had some conversation with a company here in the UK who have been putting out the 'Bonanza' series in regular installments. They send a DVD out every month or so together with magazine about the show to subscribers. All the editorial team are pretty young , nearly all in their early 20's so don't remember the series running.They wanted to know about story arcs & continuing characters & how they developed over the seasons. So many of todays shows do go in for this form of storytelling & are much more 'serialised'.. I had to explain that the old shows didn't much operate like this. Apart from the main cast, characters came & went within an episode & were mostly never heard of or mentioned again. They were quite surprised.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow