-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

CBS Announces Gunsmoke Season 1

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted April 04 2007 - 06:27 AM

Well, it's finally happened. Thanks to all of the holdouts, we're getting the Complete First Season:

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=7114

While this is not a priority series for me I plan on picking this one up. I just wish they would hurry up and release Bonanza to DVD.

#2 of 39 Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 594 posts

Posted April 04 2007 - 11:09 AM

All I can say is it's about freakin' time. So glad I held off on buying those CH dvds from ebay (except for the first one which I bought a couple years ago). This is my second favorite tv western right after The Rifleman. I'd like to get at least all the b/w episodes, for some reason I don't care for the color ones quite as much. I'm also waiting for Bonanza.

#3 of 39 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted April 05 2007 - 12:55 AM

great news.

I just might buy this unseen as I have so much about it
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#4 of 39 TheGreatOz

TheGreatOz

Second Unit

• 399 posts

Posted April 05 2007 - 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_S.
...for some reason I don't care for the color ones quite as much...
When the show went to 60 minutes, the writing was very loose with stories that seemed to drag just to fill an hour (providing additional commercial slots).

After JFK was shot in 1962, almost all the gunfights were eliminated from the show.

IMHO, the 30 minute B/W shows were the best.
Posted Image
Pay no attention to that cat behind the curtain!

#5 of 39 Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted April 05 2007 - 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatOz
When the show went to 60 minutes, the writing was very loose with stories that seemed to drag just to fill an hour (providing additional commercial slots).

After JFK was shot in 1962, almost all the gunfights were eliminated from the show.

IMHO, the 30 minute B/W shows were the best.
I felt the hour-long black & white episodes were the best (1961 to early 1966) and the first 2 years the show was in color (1966 to 1968), but there are great stories from ANY era of GUNSMOKE that can be enjoyed regardless of length. I like the antics of both Chester and Festus, and oddly enough they only appeared in two episodes together.

By the way, John Kennedy was shot in 1963. Don't believe the stories about the reduction in GUNSMOKE violence because of his death. That didn't happen until Martin Luther King was murdered in 1968 (hence the opening of Matt Dillon's gunfight being replaced by Matt riding his horse at top speed).

#6 of 39 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,881 posts

Posted April 05 2007 - 09:56 AM

Well, I feel that the season releases should be done by the three different eras of the show:

Half-hour (1955-61)
B/W hours (1961-66)
Color hours (1966-75),

So I feel that after releasing Season 1, Season 7 and Season 12 should be next, followed by 2, 8, and 13 and so on. That way, Gunsmoke fans will get shows from each of the eras in complete seasons.
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#7 of 39 Doug^Ch

Doug^Ch

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted July 17 2007 - 03:14 AM

I just received Gunsmoke The First Season in the mail. I swear how many discs can they cram in a regular size amray case now? In this case six! Anyhow, it sure is great to finally have this on DVD. I know what I'm doing this weekend!

#8 of 39 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,716 posts

Posted July 17 2007 - 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Ellis
Well, I feel that the season releases should be done by the three different eras of the show:

Half-hour (1955-61)
B/W hours (1961-66)
Color hours (1966-75),

So I feel that after releasing Season 1, Season 7 and Season 12 should be next, followed by 2, 8, and 13 and so on. That way, Gunsmoke fans will get shows from each of the eras in complete seasons.

Because of the length of the hour long seasons, Paramount would split them in half.

I was let down that they didn't include any of the radio broadcasts.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#9 of 39 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,227 posts

Posted July 17 2007 - 12:05 PM

The back of the box indicates that some episodes may be edited. Anyone know exactly what this means? Syndicated episodes are just music replacement?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#10 of 39 Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 594 posts

Posted July 17 2007 - 12:23 PM

Oh no, please don't tell me that.

#11 of 39 changa

changa

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted July 17 2007 - 12:45 PM

I have also purchased Gunsmoke (1st Season).
I will be bitterly disappointed,if their episodes are edited.
After all,we are paying good money for those discs.

#12 of 39 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,716 posts

Posted July 17 2007 - 04:13 PM

I went through every episodes and they seems to be within 10 seconds of 26 minutes and 30 seconds. There's no syndicated cuts in the batch.
come see the reviews at

#13 of 39 Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 594 posts

Posted July 17 2007 - 11:14 PM

Thanks Cory, I'm back to being excited again! Oh, does the season set come with any of the extras that were on the other previous sets?

#14 of 39 Doug^Ch

Doug^Ch

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted July 17 2007 - 11:42 PM

There are no extras that I can make out. It is strictly barebones and the discs are plain silver with no screened art work. At least they are not double-sided. My first disc had a few extremely brief glitches. It could be my panasonic player, which is more sensitive to imperfections than my other players.

#15 of 39 TheGreatOz

TheGreatOz

Second Unit

• 399 posts

Posted July 17 2007 - 11:56 PM

No extras...absolutely bare bones. But I'd rather have Season One complete than divided into two volumes because of extras. The "liner" notes might have included a heads-up when a famous (or would-become-famous) actor appeared in the episodes. Minor gripe.

Thanks to Jeff for the year correction of JFK's death (1963) and for the clarification that MLK's death caused Matt to lose his show-opener gunfight in favor of his galloping opener. Posted Image

Note...half of the discs in the Season One release I have are not pristine. They have light circular scratches on the read surface, but seem to play without errors. Set is labeled "Mexico" and assume that's the packing origin.
Pay no attention to that cat behind the curtain!

#16 of 39 Guest_silverking_*

Guest_silverking_*

Posted July 18 2007 - 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatOz
No extras...absolutely bare bones. But I'd rather have Season One complete than divided into two volumes because of extras. The "liner" notes might have included a heads-up when a famous (or would-become-famous) actor appeared in the episodes. Minor gripe.

Thanks to Jeff for the year correction of JFK's death (1963) and for the clarification that MLK's death caused Matt to lose his show-opener gunfight in favor of his galloping opener. Posted Image

Note...half of the discs in the Season One release I have are not pristine. They have light circular scratches on the read surface, but seem to play without errors. Set is labeled "Mexico" and assume that's the packing origin.

Most of the Paramount sets I have seem to be made in Mexico so I don't think that's significant.

I'm hoping the transfers are an improvement on the Columbia House DVD's some time back. One or two of those were the syndicated Marshal Dillon prints, some of the openings where Matt takes a stroll up Boot Hill were either cut or tagged on from a different episode & in one instance, I think the episode called 'Night Incident' the reels had been put on in the wrong order so the plot started in the middle & then jumped back to the beginning !

#17 of 39 Doug^Ch

Doug^Ch

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted July 18 2007 - 11:33 PM

There is at least one "extra" in this set. On disc one there are cast commercials extolling the virtues of L&M Cigarettes. It is very bizarre seeing Matt & Doc pushing cigarettes. There is also a warning prior to the start of these ads that the studio acknowledges that they cause cancer and should be only viewed in the historical context for which they were intended.

#18 of 39 Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted July 19 2007 - 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug^Ch
It is very bizarre seeing Matt & Doc pushing cigarettes.
It's not stranger than the Cartwrights on BONANZA selling automobiles.

At least cigarettes existed in Matt & Doc's time (the 1870s), although they had to take the tobacco and paper and roll their own. Posted Image

#19 of 39 jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,000 posts

Posted July 22 2007 - 01:56 PM

Perhaps the edited disclaimer might refer to the opening. The way these shows originally opened was with Matt Dillion walking around Boot Hill. There was no gunfight opening in the first season. Maybe one or two of these Boot Hill segments are missing.

#20 of 39 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,716 posts

Posted July 22 2007 - 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdee28
Perhaps the edited disclaimer might refer to the opening. The way these shows originally opened was with Matt Dillion walking around Boot Hill. There was no gunfight opening in the first season. Maybe one or two of these Boot Hill segments are missing.

Most of the episodes have the variety of Boothill openings along with the Gunsmoke showdown logo roll.
come see the reviews at

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow