What's new

Popeye the Sailor: Volume 1 (1933-1938) 7/31 (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...he-sailor.html

No details as yet, except the $64.92 price.

Just wow.
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
As it is priced the same as the Looney Tunes sets, I hope the extras are as good and that it contains 60 cartoons.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

Different opinions are sure to abound, but at ~$1 a short for full retail price I find it a great deal. The money spent to restore films that are 70 years old is worth the price from my point of view.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
If Warners does the same kind of restoration on these that they did for the Fleischer Superman cartoons, this should be a STELLAR set!
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know how many original Popeye shorts there are altogether? And how many volumes will Warners need to cover all of them?

WadeM

Supporting Actor

According to Jerry Beck here: http://www.animationshow.com/forums/...php?t3037.html

he says that it will take 2 volumes to cover all of the Fleischer shorts, and both volumes are coming out this year. The Famous Studios shorts will be released in 2008.

I guess this means I can do away with my Thunderbean DVD.. and I hope they include the same interviews with the voice talents behind the cartoons.

BTW, does this mean that Warners owns Betty Boop? Hopefully we can see some of her cartoons next! (Besides her being in the first Popeye cartoon)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Buying on release date, putting on Christmas lists. :)

Also, that's awesome cover artwork!

They're part of the Republic library, owned by Paramount, licensed to Lionsgate for DVD. I really wish that Paramount and Lionsgate would license them to Criterion. They've never released animation on DVD (and only one laserdisc, Akira) and I think they would be able to do an equally great job as Warners.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Release of the year, perhaps?

I cannot wait for these toons. I haven't seen the majority of them since I was a kid, but all of them have had a lasting impact. I would take these over most of the Looney Tunes anyday.

Come on Paramount, get yer head of yer ass and give us "Betty Boop"!!!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I hope the original credits will be restored ( no more "AAP", please!). I also grew up on the B/W Fleischer shorts, and this may be a must-buy for me!

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

What made you think that? You can see b&w screenshots in one of the ads above.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Jerry Beck's announcement says "All Paramount titles restored."

If this volume contains 60 shorts on four discs, that would leave 48 more Fleischer Popeyes for the next volume.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks