Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for some input from VTF-3 MK3 owners...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted April 02 2007 - 10:01 AM

I have not been visiting this forum frequently lately, I have actually been rather satisfied with my gear for a while now and the upgrade bug went away. But then recently I got a new job and a tax refund, so its time to buy some new audio toys, thinking a new receiver, new speakers and new sub. For my sub I currently have an STF-2, I have owned it for almost two years now and it still impresses to this day. But seeing as I have some money to spend and HSU has these great new subs out I may be looking to upgrade. I love the STF-2 and it got me away from boomy "fake" bass and into real bass, but I want a sub that will hit a lower and play cleaner/louder at the lower frequencies and throughout its frequency range. Basically a sub that I can push pretty hard and not hit its limits, I can push the STF-2 pretty good, it will still surprise me sometimes, but its limits do show on some movies. I am looking to have a sub I can just crank and not worry about because it will have plenty of headroom. Now I might just go all out and get the VTF-3 HO, but then here I am looking at the VTF-3 MK 3 for $775 with 18 Hz of rated extension, this would probably be more than enough for my medium (18Lx11W) room.

What do you guys think? Will the VTF3-MK2 be a very nice/noticeable upgrade over the STF-2, or should I go all out with the HO? Again to spend $775 on a sub is not a big deal for my right now, but to spend $980 is, I could do it, but its just a lot when I think the VTF3-MK3 would probably still blow me away in the room I will be using it in for $200 less. Or should I stick with my STF-2 and get a new set of Ascend speakers? I plan to buy a set of 170s and listen to them before ordering the rest, but I want 340s for the mains and center. For speakers I am currently using some old Advents for mains, which are great, have no center and have some cheap Sony surrounds. If I get the Ascends I will also want to upgrade my 6 year old Sony receiver to something like an Onkyo 604. Again I might just get everything, but something tells me I should stick with the STF-2 a little longer since I still love it and spend my money on new speakers first. Share some insight and get me back into spending money on my HT!

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   bobbyg2

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted April 02 2007 - 10:05 AM

Well, you could keep the old sub and put it as a secondary sub in the front or back.
"Bobby is and idiot"

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted April 02 2007 - 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg2
Well, you could keep the old sub and put it as a secondary sub in the front or back.

I do plan to keep the STF-2, As lame as it sounds it has some sentimental value to me, like I mentioned it represents the peace of equipments that got me into “true audio” and to develop and appreciation for sound quality over boomy car stereo bass. I don’t really have the space to run it alongside another sub right now. But I may use it in another room someday to go with a different setup, I may let a friend borrow it and enjoy it for a while, or if I have the space someday try to run it with a bigger sub. To me it is worth hanging on to rather than selling for $250 or so.