What's new

Looking for some input from VTF-3 MK3 owners... (1 Viewer)

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
I have not been visiting this forum frequently lately, I have actually been rather satisfied with my gear for a while now and the upgrade bug went away. But then recently I got a new job and a tax refund, so its time to buy some new audio toys, thinking a new receiver, new speakers and new sub. For my sub I currently have an STF-2, I have owned it for almost two years now and it still impresses to this day. But seeing as I have some money to spend and HSU has these great new subs out I may be looking to upgrade. I love the STF-2 and it got me away from boomy "fake" bass and into real bass, but I want a sub that will hit a lower and play cleaner/louder at the lower frequencies and throughout its frequency range. Basically a sub that I can push pretty hard and not hit its limits, I can push the STF-2 pretty good, it will still surprise me sometimes, but its limits do show on some movies. I am looking to have a sub I can just crank and not worry about because it will have plenty of headroom. Now I might just go all out and get the VTF-3 HO, but then here I am looking at the VTF-3 MK 3 for $775 with 18 Hz of rated extension, this would probably be more than enough for my medium (18Lx11W) room.

What do you guys think? Will the VTF3-MK2 be a very nice/noticeable upgrade over the STF-2, or should I go all out with the HO? Again to spend $775 on a sub is not a big deal for my right now, but to spend $980 is, I could do it, but its just a lot when I think the VTF3-MK3 would probably still blow me away in the room I will be using it in for $200 less. Or should I stick with my STF-2 and get a new set of Ascend speakers? I plan to buy a set of 170s and listen to them before ordering the rest, but I want 340s for the mains and center. For speakers I am currently using some old Advents for mains, which are great, have no center and have some cheap Sony surrounds. If I get the Ascends I will also want to upgrade my 6 year old Sony receiver to something like an Onkyo 604. Again I might just get everything, but something tells me I should stick with the STF-2 a little longer since I still love it and spend my money on new speakers first. Share some insight and get me back into spending money on my HT!

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Well, you could keep the old sub and put it as a secondary sub in the front or back.

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank

I do plan to keep the STF-2, As lame as it sounds it has some sentimental value to me, like I mentioned it represents the peace of equipments that got me into “true audio” and to develop and appreciation for sound quality over boomy car stereo bass. I don’t really have the space to run it alongside another sub right now. But I may use it in another room someday to go with a different setup, I may let a friend borrow it and enjoy it for a while, or if I have the space someday try to run it with a bigger sub. To me it is worth hanging on to rather than selling for $250 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks